-   -   4. Howto Lower brightness on Apple LCD Monitor? ; jor (giovanni_re (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/389808-4-howto-lower-brightness-apple-lcd-monitor-jor-giovanni_re.html)

Brian Wootton 06-23-2010 09:47 AM

4. Howto Lower brightness on Apple LCD Monitor? ; jor (giovanni_re

On 23/06/10 01:47, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

I've just installed an Apple Cinema Display (LCD) monitor. This is a 5 year old monitor.
Using KUbuntu 10.4

The apple website indicates this monitor has:
User controls (hardware and software):
Display power, system sleep, system wake, brightness and display tilt

Brightness is what I want to turn down.

Looking in the
KDE System Settings > General > Computer Administration > Display > Size & orientation > DVI-0

there is no adjustment for brightness.

Anyone know how to decrease brightness on this?

Thanks :)

I can't believe Apple monitors are all that much different to
any standard LCD monitors, I've an Acer, an LG and a Sony and in

all of them brightness, contrast, etc. are all adjusted within the

monitor - nothing to do with any OS. Are you sure you can't set the

brightness in the monitor - seems very strange if you can't.

brian

Basil Chupin 06-23-2010 10:59 AM

On 23/06/10 19:47, Brian Wootton wrote:
> On 23/06/10 01:47, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>> I've just installed an Apple Cinema Display (LCD) monitor. This is a 5 year old monitor.
>> Using KUbuntu 10.4
>>
>> The apple website indicates this monitor has:
>> User controls (hardware and software):
>> Display power, system sleep, system wake, brightness and display tilt
>>
>> Brightness is what I want to turn down.
>>
>> Looking in the
>> KDE System Settings> General> Computer Administration> Display> Size& orientation> DVI-0
>>
>> there is no adjustment for brightness.
>>
>> Anyone know how to decrease brightness on this?
>>
>> Thanks:)
>>

> I can't believe Apple monitors are all that much different to
> any standard LCD monitors, I've an Acer, an LG and a Sony and in
> all of them brightness, contrast, etc. are all adjusted within the
> monitor - nothing to do with any OS.

If you can do all that then you have your LCD monitors connected using
an analog cable. Try doing this with a DVI cable and you have no such
controls......

BC

--
Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.

Yorvyk 06-23-2010 01:58 PM

4. Howto Lower brightness on Apple LCD Monitor? ; jor (giovanni_re

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:47:09 +0100
Brian Wootton <Brian.Meg@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 23/06/10 01:47, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> > I've just installed an Apple Cinema Display (LCD) monitor. This is a 5 year old monitor.
> > Using KUbuntu 10.4
> >
> > The apple website indicates this monitor has:
> > User controls (hardware and software):
> > Display power, system sleep, system wake, brightness and display tilt
> >
> > Brightness is what I want to turn down.
> >
> > Looking in the
> > KDE System Settings> General> Computer Administration> Display> Size& orientation> DVI-0
> >
> > there is no adjustment for brightness.
> >
> > Anyone know how to decrease brightness on this?
> >
> > Thanks:)
> >

> I can't believe Apple monitors are all that much different to
>
> any standard LCD monitors, I've an Acer, an LG and a Sony and in
> all of them brightness, contrast, etc. are all adjusted within the
> monitor - nothing to do with any OS. Are you sure you can't set the
> brightness in the monitor - seems very strange if you can't.
> brian

Is there not a brightness control on the side of the monitor? The last time I played with one of these, a couple of years ago, there was just that one control near the power switch I think. Everything else had to be controlled using some proprietary software.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net