Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Default How to get mobile broadband, LAN and WIFI working again at the same netbook??!!

On 22/06/2010 13:26, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Bruce and Everybody
>
> Thanks, Bruce for your attempt to help me. However, I have not been
> able to solve the problem so far. But I URGENTLY need a quick
> solution. In the final part of my previous message I have summarised
> the issue as follows:
>
>>> Finally I absolutely need BOTH WICD and KNetworkmanager, as it has
>>> been possible the past few weeks - in order to enable myself to work
>>> with both LAN, WLAN and Mobile broadband.
>
> Your reacted as follows, Bruce.
>> Not sure that is possible but it might.
>
> During a few weeks I have been able to run WICD and KNetworkmanager
> next to one another at Kubuntu 10.04. It proved to be possible in that
> time to use WICD for WIFI and wired (LAN) connections and
> KNetworkmanager for mobile broadband. But suddenly, a few days ago,
> there was some complication or mistake I cannot reconstruct any more.
> Ever since that moment, 20 June 2010, KNetworkmanager has been
> "disabled". I have tried several options to solve the problem:
> uninstalling and reinstalling;
> several restarts;
>
> Today, I UNinstalled completely WICD in the hope to get
> KNetworkmanager back again. But the latter package remained
> "disabled". The only way to back some internet connection was
> restarting in safe mode, clicking at "netroot" and reinstalling via
> that specific terminal WICD.
> As a matter of result, I cannot use any more the mobile internet
> dongle, which I need really urgently. My attempts from a few weeks ago
> to use KPPP for the dongle also failed so far.
>
> My question is now: how can I ENABLE again KNetworkmanager while
> maintaining WICD???!!!
>

>> When I first installed the 10.4 beta, I couldn't get knetworkmanager to
>> connect to WIFI. This is nothing new, I have never gotten it to work.
>
> With Kubuntu 8.10 and 9.04, KNetworkmanager worked out of the box with WIFI.
> But ever since 9.10, it does not work any more with WIFI, even when
> giving in the right codes. On the other hand, KNetworkmanager has been
> the only package so far that enabled me to work with a mobile
> broadband dongle.
>

>> usually course of action is to use a wired connection to install WICD and as
>> you mentioned, that used to remove Knetworkmanager.
> Until and including Kubuntu 9.10, it worked like that.
>

>> But with 10.4, WICD wouldn't work either and that is what you are upagainst.
>>
>> The problem is that both packages bring up their own copy of wpa-supplicant,
>> which is the package that does the password checking. Things get confused
>> with two copies of wpa-supplicant.
>
> So far, I have discovered only one package of "wpa_supplicant": both
> via synaptic and via the "System Activity" monitor. On the other hand,
> I did not check this when WICD and KNetworkmanager still worked next
> to one another.
>

>> If you really need to have both Wicd and NM running, then you should probably
>> write up a bug report on the problem.

> [...]
I am not sure that what you want is actually possible... I have never
heard of running 2 networkmanagers at the same time.

You might want to try the gnome networkmanager that is said to be much
better at dealing with mobile internet. Look for network-manager-gnome.
Uninstall Wicd and network-manager-kde if they are not removed by
network-manager-gnome. You will find a new systray applet and in that
there is mobile internet etc.

Sinclair