Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default How to get mobile broadband, LAN and WIFI working again at the same netbook??!!

On Monday, June 21, 2010, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Finally I absolutely need BOTH WICD and KNetworkmanager, as it has
> been possible the past few weeks - in order to enable myself to work
> with both LAN, WLAN and Mobile broadband.
> Thanks for replying.

Not sure that is possible but it might.

When I first installed the 10.4 beta, I couldn't get knetworkmanager to
connect to WIFI. This is nothing new, I have never gotten it to work. My
usually course of action is to use a wired connection to install WICD and as
you mentioned, that used to remove Knetworkmanager.

But with 10.4, WICD wouldn't work either and that is what you are upagainst.

The problem is that both packages bring up their own copy of wpa-supplicant,
which is the package that does the password checking. Things get confused
with two copies of wpa-supplicant.

If you really need to have both Wicd and NM running, then you should probably
write up a bug report on the problem.

I just removed NM in all cases with 10.4 and things work fine.

To test your problem, you might look to see if you have two copies of wpa-
supplicant running and kill one of them... If either NM or Wicd starts
working after that, then that is your problem.