Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Bas Roufs

Default How to get mobile broadband, LAN and WIFI working again at the same netbook??!!

Hello everybody

At present, I work at a netbook (Asus Eee PC 1001 HA)* with Kubuntu
10.04. During a few weeks I managed to both work with KNetworkmanager
and WICD. After fresh-installing Kubuntu Lucid, it became clear to me
that the installation of WICD does not any more automatically
un-install KNetworkmanager and inversely. According to information in
another thread on this issue, both packages do not conflict any more
with one another. They can be"used next to one another" - as someone
wrote me explicitly upon my question on this subject-matter. For me
this new development seemed to solve problems I had been struggling
with for several months. It enabled me to use KNetworkmanager for the
activation of a mobile broadband network, while using WICD for LAN and
WLAN.
But ever since about two weeks I am experiencing difficulties again. I
do not manage any more to use wireless WIFI networks - even when
giving in the right codes. And yesterday, KNetworkmanager suddenly
stopped working while I was using a mobile broadband dongle
connection. As a matter of consequence, I cannot use any more the
mobile connection. I am sending this message via the only option that
remains now: a wired LAN connection activated via WICD.

Of course, I have tried a few possible solutions. I have restarted the
netbook several times - no success any more. Via "Synaptic", I have
completely UN-installed KNetworkmanager, restarted the netbook,
re-installed the same KNetworkmanager package and it's dependencies
and restarted again. When plugging in now the dongle, KNetworkmanager
still indicates that it recognises the device as a mobile broadband
modem. However, the only feedback I get when trying to activate the
mobile connection - even after deactivating and unplugging the wired
one- is the following: "Network management disabled. My question is
now: how to ENable again the "network management" in such a way that I
can use the mobile broadband connection again?

Finally I absolutely need BOTH WICD and KNetworkmanager, as it has
been possible the past few weeks - in order to enable myself to work
with both LAN, WLAN and Mobile broadband.
Thanks for replying.

Bas.