Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Bas Roufs

Default Mobile broadband, LAN and WLAN seem to conflict with one another.

Hello everybody

At present, I work at a netbook (Asus Eee PC 1001 HA)* with Kubuntu 10.04. During a few weeks I managed to both work with KNetworkmanager and WICD. After fresh-installing Kubuntu Lucid, it became clear to me that the installation of WICD does not any more automatically un-install KNetworkmanager and inversely. According to information in another thread on this issue, both packages do not conflict any more with one another. They can be"used next to one another" - as someone wrote me explicitly upon my question on this subject-matter. For me this new development seemed to solve problems I had been struggling with for several months. It enabled me to use KNetworkmanager for the activation of a mobile broadband network, while using WICD for LAN and WLAN.

But ever since about one week I am experiencing difficulties again. I do not manage any more to use wireless WIFI networks - even when giving in the right codes. And tonight KNetworkmanager suddenly stopped working while I was using a mobile broadband dongle connection. I have restarted the laptop a few times - no success any more. I cannot use any more the mobile connection. I am sending this message via the only option that remains now: a wired LAN connection activated via WICD.

I absolutely need BOTH WICD and KNetworkmanager - in order to enable myself to work with both LAN, WLAN and Mobile broadband. Can someone please give me a clue how to:....
reactivate KNetworkmanager with a view to using again mobile broad band?

adapt the settings of WICD in such a way that I can use again WIFI connections when giving in the right code?

Thanks for replying.

Bas.