Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

Linux Mint is another at www.linuxmint.com, based on Ubuntu

Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 16/01/2008, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> Graham wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:01:10 +0200
> > "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Any suggestions for a KDE based
> >> distro that is easy for noobs?
> >
> > Try Mepis. It uses KDE and once used the ubuntu repositories but in
> > Mepis 7.0 changed to using the Debian repositories.
> >
> > For older architecture, they've got a cut down version called antiX
> >
> Linux Mint is another at www.linuxmint.com, based on Ubuntu

Thank you. Linux Mint seems to use the Ubuntu repos, so I will have to
research whether or not it uses KDE 4.0. I'll also look at openSUSE
and possibly Fedora (which I run on other machines).

I should mention here that I really, really like Fedora, but I do not
use it as I find it too bleeding edge (read: unstable) for everyday
use. So it would be ironic that I go back to Fedora as a daily driver
due to Kubuntu getting too cutting edge.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:48 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 16/01/2008, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Graham wrote:

>>> Try Mepis. It uses KDE and once used the ubuntu repositories but in
>>> Mepis 7.0 changed to using the Debian repositories.
>>>
>>> For older architecture, they've got a cut down version called antiX
>>>
>> Linux Mint is another at www.linuxmint.com, based on Ubuntu
>>

> Thank you. Linux Mint seems to use the Ubuntu repos, so I will have to
> research whether or not it uses KDE 4.0. I'll also look at openSUSE
> and possibly Fedora (which I run on other machines).
>
> I should mention here that I really, really like Fedora, but I do not
> use it as I find it too bleeding edge (read: unstable) for everyday
> use. So it would be ironic that I go back to Fedora as a daily driver
> due to Kubuntu getting too cutting edge.

According to internet news Fedora is scapping KDE3 for KDE4. LInux Mint
uses KDE3 at this time.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureKDE4

Sinclair

Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 16/01/2008, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to internet news Fedora is scapping KDE3 for KDE4. LInux Mint
> uses KDE3 at this time.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureKDE4
>
> Sinclair

Thanks. I'm still on Fedora [Core] 6, but I was planning on installing
8, which is still KDE 3.x. Installing the _latest_ Fedora (9 will be
the latest when Kubuntu 8.04 is the newest Kubuntu) is only asking for
trouble!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Graham

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:17:18 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I should mention here that I really, really like Fedora, but I do not
> use it as I find it too bleeding edge (read: unstable) for everyday
> use. So it would be ironic that I go back to Fedora as a daily driver
> due to Kubuntu getting too cutting edge.
[snipped]

That's the beauty of Debian. You can set it up to use "stable",
"unstable" or "testing" repositories - with the stable ones really NOT
cutting edge.

Debian, on the other hand has an awful installer IMHO, so I use Mepis
to install the system.

--

Graham

Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 07:37:07 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 16/01/2008, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> > According to internet news Fedora is scapping KDE3 for KDE4. LInux Mint
> > uses KDE3 at this time.
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureKDE4
> >
> > Sinclair
>
> Thanks. I'm still on Fedora [Core] 6, but I was planning on installing
> 8, which is still KDE 3.x. Installing the _latest_ Fedora (9 will be
> the latest when Kubuntu 8.04 is the newest Kubuntu) is only asking for
> trouble!

Also, Don't forget about PCLinuxOS, its KDE based, and overtook Ubuntu in the
Distrowatch page hits, so there may be something there. I've downloaded the
iso image for 2007 which was released in Dec. I'm also looking at Mepis, so
we'll see which of the those is better.

However, I'm not going to stay with an ugly on-the-side for a distro. And
that is exactly how Kubuntu is being handled. I really can't use language
strong enough to assert how ignorant I think Kubuntu's current direction is.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Billie Walsh

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Graham wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:01:10 +0200
>> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Any suggestions for a KDE based
>>> distro that is easy for noobs?
>>>
>> Try Mepis. It uses KDE and once used the ubuntu repositories but in
>> Mepis 7.0 changed to using the Debian repositories.
>>
>> For older architecture, they've got a cut down version called antiX
>>

> Linux Mint is another at www.linuxmint.com, based on Ubuntu

As Shakespeare would say, "Much ado about nothing."

I think everyone is getting their panties in a wad over something that
will blow over in the very near future. OK, so they screwed the pooch
short term. Long term I think things will work out fine.

I can't say I agree with some of the decisions made by the powers that
be either. BUT, I don't plan on running off like a spoiled brat at the
first thing that happens. I will just sit with 7.10 for a while and let
them work out some of the kinks. 7.10 is stable and does what I want
with a minimum of fuss and bother. I don't necessarily need "bleeding
edge" stuff. A couple updates down the road and I'll bump up.

Besides,if you jump ship and run to another distro what are you REALLY
changing? Everyone is jumping on KDE4. It's the same KDE so you haven't
done anything. Or do you plan on jumping off the KDE bandwagon to?

IMHO, everyone should just calm down. Let things get sorted.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Jan 16, 2008 11:25 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> As Shakespeare would say, "Much ado about nothing."
>
> I think everyone is getting their panties in a wad over something that
> will blow over in the very near future. OK, so they screwed the pooch
> short term. Long term I think things will work out fine.
>
> I can't say I agree with some of the decisions made by the powers that
> be either. BUT, I don't plan on running off like a spoiled brat at the
> first thing that happens. I will just sit with 7.10 for a while and let
> them work out some of the kinks. 7.10 is stable and does what I want
> with a minimum of fuss and bother. I don't necessarily need "bleeding
> edge" stuff. A couple updates down the road and I'll bump up.
>
> Besides,if you jump ship and run to another distro what are you REALLY
> changing? Everyone is jumping on KDE4. It's the same KDE so you haven't
> done anything. Or do you plan on jumping off the KDE bandwagon to?
>
> IMHO, everyone should just calm down. Let things get sorted.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 01-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Nigel Ridley

Billie Walsh wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Graham wrote:

>>> Try Mepis. It uses KDE and once used the ubuntu repositories but in
>>> Mepis 7.0 changed to using the Debian repositories.
>>>
>>> For older architecture, they've got a cut down version called antiX
>>>

>> Linux Mint is another at www.linuxmint.com, based on Ubuntu
>>

> As Shakespeare would say, "Much ado about nothing."
>
> I think everyone is getting their panties in a wad over something that
> will blow over in the very near future. OK, so they screwed the pooch
> short term. Long term I think things will work out fine.
>
> I can't say I agree with some of the decisions made by the powers that
> be either. BUT, I don't plan on running off like a spoiled brat at the
> first thing that happens. I will just sit with 7.10 for a while and let
> them work out some of the kinks. 7.10 is stable and does what I want
> with a minimum of fuss and bother. I don't necessarily need "bleeding
> edge" stuff. A couple updates down the road and I'll bump up.
>
> Besides,if you jump ship and run to another distro what are you REALLY
> changing? Everyone is jumping on KDE4. It's the same KDE so you haven't
> done anything. Or do you plan on jumping off the KDE bandwagon to?
>
> IMHO, everyone should just calm down. Let things get sorted.

If this is a vote thing - I vote to stick with Kubuntu.
Feisty is serving me well for now and I will wait to see what happens -
who needs bleeding edge anyway? (My daughter has Gutsy and is
complaining that the Gimp (rc version) is broken in places).

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM
David Fletcher

At 17:03 16/01/2008, you wrote:

>If this is a vote thing - I vote to stick with Kubuntu.
>Feisty is serving me well for now and I will wait to see what happens -
>who needs bleeding edge anyway? (My daughter has Gutsy and is
>complaining that the Gimp (rc version) is broken in places).

Gimp updated on my Gutsy a few days ago - it's no longer rc.