FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 PM
"Tipton, Timothy"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

> Thank you, I'll start getting used to it. Coming from you and your
> extensive experience, I have no choice but to follow your advice and
> get used to reinstalling tens of operating systems twice a year.

Hello Pot, meet Kettle.

************************************************** ********************
Statement of Confidentiality:
This message may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Billie Walsh
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On 01/18/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thank you, I'll start getting used to it. Coming from you and your
> extensive experience, I have no choice but to follow your advice and
> get used to reinstalling tens of operating systems twice a year.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Sarcasm ill becomes you.

Perhaps rather than holding the hands of those you "convert" it would
serve them better to teach them. There comes a time in the lives of all
children when they have to learn to stand on their own two feet.
Continuing to codle them does them no good. You do them no favors by
moving them over to Linux and then just continuing to run their
computers for them. [ Unless of course you are not doing for individuals
as I understood an earlier message. BUT, doing for business's and
managing their system,s for them. ]

I know your feelings but, in the Bible it says that give a man a fish
and he will eat for a day. But teach a man to fish and he will eat all
his life. Pretty good advice.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

Billie Walsh wrote:

> On 01/18/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Thank you, I'll start getting used to it. Coming from you and your
>> extensive experience, I have no choice but to follow your advice and
>> get used to reinstalling tens of operating systems twice a year.
>
> Sarcasm ill becomes you.

I don't know - I think he does fine with it :-)

> Perhaps rather than holding the hands of those you "convert" it would
> serve them better to teach them.

It's not necessary to do either. I don't maintain nearly as many systems as
Dotan, but I download all packages to one system, check out all the
updates, and when I'm happy with them use "apt-move" to build a partial
mirror. My other systems update from _my_ mirror, not Ubuntu's.

Users can learn how to use the package system, override the sources, and be
on their own, or they can take updates whenever they see the update icon in
the system tray.

No muss, no fuss, on my part.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On Thursday 17 January 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > here here!
>
> Please! It's "hear"... (and I'm sorry that you had to be the one I
> finally broke down and said this to...)

Eye eye, Captain. I'm sure u know for all intensive purposes their the same
thing anyway, and now all of the sudden your the grammer police.

(Kinda made my skin crawl a little to write that.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Jesus Arocho
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On Saturday 19 January 2008 00:41:22 D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > > here here!
> >
> > Please! It's "hear"... (and I'm sorry that you had to be the one I
> > finally broke down and said this to...)
>
> Eye eye, Captain. I'm sure u know for all intensive purposes their the same
> thing anyway, and now all of the sudden your the grammer police.
>
> (Kinda made my skin crawl a little to write that.)
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

The wise humbly and thankfully accept instruction and correction, specially if
it is free.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Larry Hartman
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On Friday 18 January 2008 09:41:22 pm D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > > here here!
> >
> > Please! It's "hear"... (and I'm sorry that you had to be the one I
> > finally broke down and said this to...)
>
> Eye eye, Captain. I'm sure u know for all intensive purposes their the same
> thing anyway, and now all of the sudden your the grammer police.
>
> (Kinda made my skin crawl a little to write that.)
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

"aye, aye"

Larry

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2008, 04:09 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On 18/01/2008, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> On 01/18/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Thank you, I'll start getting used to it. Coming from you and your
> > extensive experience, I have no choice but to follow your advice and
> > get used to reinstalling tens of operating systems twice a year.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> Sarcasm ill becomes you.

You know I save it only for the best of times. (and /..)

> Perhaps rather than holding the hands of those you "convert" it would
> serve them better to teach them.

The situation is not that I 'convert' people. I do not see choice of
OS||webBrowser||textEditor as religion. I install a simple to use,
virus free operating system for people who complain to me that their
computers are 'broken'. Of course I teach them to use the system, and
basic maintenance, but I do not expect them to reinstall it twice a
year. Nor do I want to.

> There comes a time in the lives of all
> children when they have to learn to stand on their own two feet.

My daughter just stood on two feet for the first time today. You have
excellent timing.

> Continuing to codle them does them no good. You do them no favors by
> moving them over to Linux and then just continuing to run their
> computers for them. [ Unless of course you are not doing for individuals
> as I understood an earlier message. BUT, doing for business's and
> managing their system,s for them. ]

These machines are no less maintained than they were when the user was
running Windows. And I do _not_ run their computers for them, quite
the opposite, I stressed that I do _not_ want to begin doing that.

> I know your feelings but, in the Bible it says that give a man a fish
> and he will eat for a day. But teach a man to fish and he will eat all
> his life. Pretty good advice.

That is good advice, but it is not in the Bible so far as I know. I
understand that to be a Lau Tzu quote. It may have been rephrased in
the New Testament or Koran, though, as I am not familiar with those
two books (maybe I should start).

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2008, 04:12 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On 18/01/2008, Tipton, Timothy <Timothy.Tipton@pxd.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you, I'll start getting used to it. Coming from you and your
> > extensive experience, I have no choice but to follow your advice and
> > get used to reinstalling tens of operating systems twice a year.
>
> Hello Pot, meet Kettle.
>

What is the meaning of that expression? I've never heard it. I'm not
offended, but I'm interested in knowing what it means.

I should mention that I meant no offense to Billie. If offense was
taken (or suspected), then I apologize.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2008, 04:15 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On 18/01/2008, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>
> > On 01/18/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> Thank you, I'll start getting used to it. Coming from you and your
> >> extensive experience, I have no choice but to follow your advice and
> >> get used to reinstalling tens of operating systems twice a year.
> >
> > Sarcasm ill becomes you.
>
> I don't know - I think he does fine with it :-)
>
> > Perhaps rather than holding the hands of those you "convert" it would
> > serve them better to teach them.
>
> It's not necessary to do either. I don't maintain nearly as many systems as
> Dotan, but I download all packages to one system, check out all the
> updates, and when I'm happy with them use "apt-move" to build a partial
> mirror. My other systems update from _my_ mirror, not Ubuntu's.
>
> Users can learn how to use the package system, override the sources, and be
> on their own, or they can take updates whenever they see the update icon in
> the system tray.
>
> No muss, no fuss, on my part.

I still use the Ubuntu repos, but I only update the systems when I
visit someone for other reasons. That's why I settled on Kubuntu:
Fedora had people calling me with "this broke" or "that stopped
working" way to often. Kubuntu is a reliable, stable OS. That is why I
am opposed to the inclusion of KDE 4.0. KDE 4.0 is _not_ stable nor
reliable.

I would ideally SSH into these machines once in a while to make sure
all is fine, but the university firewall makes that impossible.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Donn
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

> > Hello Pot, meet Kettle.
> What is the meaning of that expression? I've never heard it. I'm not
> offended, but I'm interested in knowing what it means.
"The pot called the kettle black" is a way of saying one is a hypocrite. Both
are blackened from the flames anyway. That's my understanding of it. I don't
think it's a strong insult, more a funny reminder to look at ones'
assumptions.

> I should mention that I meant no offense to Billie. If offense was
> taken (or suspected), then I apologize.
(I'm not Billie, but) I have not taken a shred of offense from anything you
have ever posted. I think you should stop apologizing to everyone and sundry.
You are polite and well-spoken IMHO.

d


--
"There is a profound distinction between a consoling delusion and the truth."
-- Sam Harris

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org