FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Girard Henri
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

I play with bleeding edge
After trying few distros I got back to kubuntu as it is the quickest
installed
For 64 bits it's the only one which works on my acer aspire
though i like fedora or mandriva but I got few problems with them...
keyboard on mandriva 32bits is funy in french
On fedora i can't get my ethernet card working ...
i rarely keep a distro for more than 3 months
I often crash them ! lol


Nigel Ridley a ้crit :
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> Graham wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:01:10 +0200
>>>> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Any suggestions for a KDE based
>>>>> distro that is easy for noobs?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Try Mepis. It uses KDE and once used the ubuntu repositories but in
>>>> Mepis 7.0 changed to using the Debian repositories.
>>>>
>>>> For older architecture, they've got a cut down version called antiX
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Linux Mint is another at www.linuxmint.com, based on Ubuntu
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> As Shakespeare would say, "Much ado about nothing."
>>
>> I think everyone is getting their panties in a wad over something that
>> will blow over in the very near future. OK, so they screwed the pooch
>> short term. Long term I think things will work out fine.
>>
>> I can't say I agree with some of the decisions made by the powers that
>> be either. BUT, I don't plan on running off like a spoiled brat at the
>> first thing that happens. I will just sit with 7.10 for a while and let
>> them work out some of the kinks. 7.10 is stable and does what I want
>> with a minimum of fuss and bother. I don't necessarily need "bleeding
>> edge" stuff. A couple updates down the road and I'll bump up.
>>
>> Besides,if you jump ship and run to another distro what are you REALLY
>> changing? Everyone is jumping on KDE4. It's the same KDE so you haven't
>> done anything. Or do you plan on jumping off the KDE bandwagon to?
>>
>> IMHO, everyone should just calm down. Let things get sorted.
>>
>>
>
> If this is a vote thing - I vote to stick with Kubuntu.
> Feisty is serving me well for now and I will wait to see what happens -
> who needs bleeding edge anyway? (My daughter has Gutsy and is
> complaining that the Gimp (rc version) is broken in places).
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
>
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

Billie Walsh wrote:

> I think everyone is getting their panties in a wad over something that
> will blow over in the very near future. OK, so they screwed the pooch
> short term. Long term I think things will work out fine.

I agree.

> BUT, I don't plan on running off like a spoiled brat at the
> first thing that happens. I will just sit with 7.10 for a while and let
> them work out some of the kinks.

That's my plan. I'm not at all happy with KDE4 as it is, but I have few
doubts that it will improve. But if, in future, I can't use Konqueror the
way I use it now I may very well get around to trying a whole different
desktop. Konqueror is the killer app that keeps me on KDE.

> Besides,if you jump ship and run to another distro what are you REALLY
> changing? Everyone is jumping on KDE4. It's the same KDE so you haven't
> done anything. Or do you plan on jumping off the KDE bandwagon to?

That's the only option I'm even thinking about.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 11:25:36 am Billie Walsh wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
> > Graham wrote:
> >> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:01:10 +0200
> >>
> >> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> Any suggestions for a KDE based
> >>> distro that is easy for noobs?
> >>
> >> Try Mepis. It uses KDE and once used the ubuntu repositories but in
> >> Mepis 7.0 changed to using the Debian repositories.
> >>
> >> For older architecture, they've got a cut down version called antiX
> >
> > Linux Mint is another at www.linuxmint.com, based on Ubuntu
>
> As Shakespeare would say, "Much ado about nothing."
>
> I think everyone is getting their panties in a wad over something that
> will blow over in the very near future. OK, so they screwed the pooch
> short term. Long term I think things will work out fine.
>
> I can't say I agree with some of the decisions made by the powers that
> be either. BUT, I don't plan on running off like a spoiled brat at the
> first thing that happens. I will just sit with 7.10 for a while and let
> them work out some of the kinks. 7.10 is stable and does what I want
> with a minimum of fuss and bother. I don't necessarily need "bleeding
> edge" stuff. A couple updates down the road and I'll bump up.
>
> Besides,if you jump ship and run to another distro what are you REALLY
> changing? Everyone is jumping on KDE4. It's the same KDE so you haven't
> done anything. Or do you plan on jumping off the KDE bandwagon to?
>
> IMHO, everyone should just calm down. Let things get sorted.
here here!


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:31 AM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On 16/01/2008, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> As Shakespeare would say, "Much ado about nothing."
>
> I think everyone is getting their panties in a wad over something that
> will blow over in the very near future. OK, so they screwed the pooch
> short term. Long term I think things will work out fine.
>
> I can't say I agree with some of the decisions made by the powers that
> be either. BUT, I don't plan on running off like a spoiled brat at the
> first thing that happens. I will just sit with 7.10 for a while and let
> them work out some of the kinks. 7.10 is stable and does what I want
> with a minimum of fuss and bother. I don't necessarily need "bleeding
> edge" stuff. A couple updates down the road and I'll bump up.
>
> Besides,if you jump ship and run to another distro what are you REALLY
> changing? Everyone is jumping on KDE4. It's the same KDE so you haven't
> done anything. Or do you plan on jumping off the KDE bandwagon to?
>
> IMHO, everyone should just calm down. Let things get sorted.

I'm calm, but I am looking for a 'home' distro. For two years, that
was Fedora for me. When things got too unstable for everyday work, I
jumped ship and I've been with Kubuntu for about a year. With all the
MS converts that I do I need a very stable distro, as I'm the only one
providing tech support to people who's first impression of Linux is
whatever I install for them.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 AM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On 16/01/2008, Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il> wrote:
> If this is a vote thing - I vote to stick with Kubuntu.
> Feisty is serving me well for now and I will wait to see what happens -
> who needs bleeding edge anyway? (My daughter has Gutsy and is
> complaining that the Gimp (rc version) is broken in places).
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
>

For myself, I will stick with Feisty as well (Gutsy does not run on my
hardware). However, for my users I need a stable, workable distro that
will not need to be replaced in a year. Feisty will soon be end of
lifed.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Billie Walsh
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On 01/16/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I'm calm, but I am looking for a 'home' distro. For two years, that
> was Fedora for me. When things got too unstable for everyday work, I
> jumped ship and I've been with Kubuntu for about a year. With all the
> MS converts that I do I need a very stable distro, as I'm the only one
> providing tech support to people who's first impression of Linux is
> whatever I install for them.

I don't know what (K)Ubuntu support cycle is for sure but my thinking is
that for at least the next six to eight months 7.10 is going to be
viable. Probably somewhat longer than that before things start getting
to far out of hand. By that time KDE should have most things
straightened out and everything should be pretty stable. That should
just about get us up to Kubuntu 8.*. Then might be a better time to upgrade.

I don't know how many converts you make a month but when I started using
Kubuntu it was 7.4 and almost immediately went to 7.10. [ now, OK I
admit that's not really such a big jump maybe ] and it was no HUGE deal,
and I'm just an average home user. I made the switch and kept on
truckin'. I'm sure anyone should be able to go through an upgrade
without major trauma. After all the upgrade/update cycle is way shorter
than that OTHER OS so you better get used to them. Call it a "learning
experience".

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

Michael W. Holdeman wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 January 2008 11:25:36 am Billie Walsh wrote:

>> IMHO, everyone should just calm down. Let things get sorted.
> here here!

Please! It's "hear"... (and I'm sorry that you had to be the one I finally
broke down and said this to...)
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Larry Hartman
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On Thursday 17 January 2008 06:42:13 am Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 01/16/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm calm, but I am looking for a 'home' distro. For two years, that
> > was Fedora for me. When things got too unstable for everyday work, I
> > jumped ship and I've been with Kubuntu for about a year. With all the
> > MS converts that I do I need a very stable distro, as I'm the only one
> > providing tech support to people who's first impression of Linux is
> > whatever I install for them.
>
> I don't know what (K)Ubuntu support cycle is for sure but my thinking is
> that for at least the next six to eight months 7.10 is going to be
> viable. Probably somewhat longer than that before things start getting
> to far out of hand. By that time KDE should have most things
> straightened out and everything should be pretty stable. That should
> just about get us up to Kubuntu 8.*. Then might be a better time to
> upgrade.
>
> I don't know how many converts you make a month but when I started using
> Kubuntu it was 7.4 and almost immediately went to 7.10. [ now, OK I
> admit that's not really such a big jump maybe ] and it was no HUGE deal,
> and I'm just an average home user. I made the switch and kept on
> truckin'. I'm sure anyone should be able to go through an upgrade
> without major trauma. After all the upgrade/update cycle is way shorter
> than that OTHER OS so you better get used to them. Call it a "learning
> experience".

<random thought>
<incorrect thinking>

Why not make 7.10 the LTS for Kubuntu and let it run as LTS until Ubuntu 8.04
LTS expires? Or, have the Kubuntu/Ubuntu LTS windows staggered. Seems to me
that Canonical has unnecessarily locked themselves in on which versions
should be termed LTS.... If 8.04 is the wrong time for Kubuntu due to the
flux state of KDE, then go back a version or two.

</incorrect thinking>
</random thought>

Larry

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Larry Hartman
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On Thursday 17 January 2008 06:42:13 am Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 01/16/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm calm, but I am looking for a 'home' distro. For two years, that
> > was Fedora for me. When things got too unstable for everyday work, I
> > jumped ship and I've been with Kubuntu for about a year. With all the
> > MS converts that I do I need a very stable distro, as I'm the only one
> > providing tech support to people who's first impression of Linux is
> > whatever I install for them.
>
> I don't know what (K)Ubuntu support cycle is for sure but my thinking is
> that for at least the next six to eight months 7.10 is going to be
> viable. Probably somewhat longer than that before things start getting
> to far out of hand. By that time KDE should have most things
> straightened out and everything should be pretty stable. That should
> just about get us up to Kubuntu 8.*. Then might be a better time to
> upgrade.
>
> I don't know how many converts you make a month but when I started using
> Kubuntu it was 7.4 and almost immediately went to 7.10. [ now, OK I
> admit that's not really such a big jump maybe ] and it was no HUGE deal,
> and I'm just an average home user. I made the switch and kept on
> truckin'. I'm sure anyone should be able to go through an upgrade
> without major trauma. After all the upgrade/update cycle is way shorter
> than that OTHER OS so you better get used to them. Call it a "learning
> experience".

<random thought>
<incorrect thinking>

Why not make 7.10 the LTS for Kubuntu and let it run as LTS until Ubuntu 8.04
LTS expires? Or, have the Kubuntu/Ubuntu LTS windows staggered. Seems to me
that Canonical has unnecessarily locked themselves in on which versions
should be termed LTS.... If 8.04 is the wrong time for Kubuntu due to the
flux state of KDE, then go back a version or two.

</incorrect thinking>
</random thought>

Larry

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2008, 02:17 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

On 17/01/2008, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> On 01/16/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm calm, but I am looking for a 'home' distro. For two years, that
> > was Fedora for me. When things got too unstable for everyday work, I
> > jumped ship and I've been with Kubuntu for about a year. With all the
> > MS converts that I do I need a very stable distro, as I'm the only one
> > providing tech support to people who's first impression of Linux is
> > whatever I install for them.
>
> I don't know what (K)Ubuntu support cycle is for sure but my thinking is
> that for at least the next six to eight months 7.10 is going to be
> viable.

Don't guess, go look at the Kubuntu website.

> Probably somewhat longer than that before things start getting
> to far out of hand. By that time KDE should have most things
> straightened out and everything should be pretty stable. That should
> just about get us up to Kubuntu 8.*. Then might be a better time to upgrade.

I'm not upgrading. I'm installing on other people's systems.

> I don't know how many converts you make a month but when I started using
> Kubuntu it was 7.4 and almost immediately went to 7.10.

I started on Breezy Badger, switched from Fedora Core 3.

> [ now, OK I
> admit that's not really such a big jump maybe ] and it was no HUGE deal,
> and I'm just an average home user. I made the switch and kept on
> truckin'. I'm sure anyone should be able to go through an upgrade
> without major trauma.

Not people who have never installed an OS. And I don't want to make
tens of visits all over the place to start upgrading people's
computers every six months.

> After all the upgrade/update cycle is way shorter
> than that OTHER OS so you better get used to them. Call it a "learning
> experience".

Thank you, I'll start getting used to it. Coming from you and your
extensive experience, I have no choice but to follow your advice and
get used to reinstalling tens of operating systems twice a year.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ฉ2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org