Old 01-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Nils Kassube

Default Alternatives to Kubuntu, was KDE 4.0.0!

Derek Broughton wrote:
> You'd think people using Blackberries, paying a per KB data rate would
> want to _discourage_ top-posting.

I think they wouldn't use such a device for a high volume mailing list if
they cared about the price.

Nils

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Mike Leone

Derek Broughton wrote:
> D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 20 January 2008, ronw@paradise.net.nz wrote:
>>
>>> Actually I quite like the way it handles mail. It is fortunate that it
>>> showed me there is merit in top posting and will save me from being so
>>> one eyed on a subject that I start calling habits conventions and
>>> suggesting something is logical when it patently is not.
>> The real problem is with people who don't trim their reply text. It
>> doesn't matter where you leave it, if you have a gigantic gob of reply
>
> You'd think people using Blackberries, paying a per KB data rate would want
> to _discourage_ top-posting.

You'd think this never-ending waste of time thread on top-posting would
just die, but it doesn't ...

Old 01-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Mike Leone

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mike Leone wrote:
>
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> So when visiting England, I should drive on the right side of the road
>>> because it is my preference?
>> That would be illegal. Top posting is not illegal, merely a preference.
>>
>> So to answer your question, no.
> I think he should write from right to left in response to all top posts.
> It's just a preference, too.

He can. None of us *has* to read posts from specific users. Hence the
joy of kill filters. Makes life a lot easier, quieter, and with less
stress. And would have saved MASSIVE amounts of bandwidth on this thread ...

Old 01-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Mike Leone

Derek Broughton wrote:
> ronw@paradise.net.nz wrote:
>
>> What is really interesting is that I now understand the discussion about
>> top/bottom posting so much better. I recently acquired a Blackberry but it
>> applies to any mail enabled hadheld device.
>
> There's only one reasonable answer to this sort of trash
> <plonk>
>
> and don't you dare top-post anything that shows up in my mailbox.

Why? What will you do, if he does? I'm just curious, you understand.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
David Fletcher

At 15:15 21/01/2008, you wrote:

>Why? What will you do, if he does? I'm just curious, you understand.

Insertion of the three lines

:0
* ^From.*whoeverheis@example.com
/dev/null

into the procmailrc file would do the job very nicely indeed I think.
Could also include an auto reply just to tell the poster that his
message had been dumped, but I wouldn't do that sort of thing...

Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Sylviane et Perry White

LOL, that's a good one.
Since I'm *exeptionnaly* top-posting, try to guess what I found so funny.
My 2 "centimes" is top posting may be OK when you only expect one simple
reply, as "Thanks for invitation, I will come".
*In any other case it becomes a nightmare.*
Your reply may look good when you write it, but how can anyone add to it
without creating havock?
Whorst of all is mixing top and bottom posting, therefore letting everybody
decide how they want to reply is as insane as letting them decide on which
side of the road they want to drive. It is just not fit for this type of
list. The only way I can conceive is the answer comes after the question, that
is middle posting, and bottom posting is a special case of it.
Now I'm goint to shout, I know it's forbidden but it stresses some parts of
the text better than "*...*", and today I feel like trangressing.
Saying that it should all be done backwards BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO SCROLL
DOWN is expecting EVERYBODY to remember the thread to such a point THEY WON'T
HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN in order to read the question you answered, BUT THEN WHY
QUOTE IT?
Of course you have to trim the quoted text, that will make reading easier for
people like Ron and his handeld device (even my scroll mouse wheel overheats
sometimes).

Cheers Perry
(snip)

--
BOFH excuse #335: the AA battery in the wallclock sends magnetic interference

Old 01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Sunday 20 January 2008 00:14, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 20/01/2008, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> > It's an OLD saying sort of rephrased. The pot calling the kettle black.
> > Refers to the black soot that collected on the pots and pans in the old
> > wood burning days.
>
> Still happens to me with one stubborn gas burner that's letting too
> much O2 in. I can't figure out how to tune the damn thing.
That defies my notions of chemistry. A sooting flame denotes a lack of O2, not
an excess of it.

HTH Perry

P.S. I'm not religious, but I'm always amazed how the randomly selected BOFH
excuses match the topic, just like a WeGe board.

--
BOFH excuse #322: Your Pentium has a heating problem - try cooling it with ice
cold water (Do not turn off your computer, you do not want to cool down the

Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Jesus Arocho

Sensitive trigger!!