Old 06-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Brian Wootton

Default skype microphone input (Mark Fraser)

On 16/06/10 23:39, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 Jun 2010 16:05:39 Brian Wootton wrote:
>
>> > I'm running kubuntu 10.04 on an amd64, all of my audio apps
>> > run perfectly(video, audio, vlc, amarok, dragon player, flash,
>> > audacity record/playback. My only problem is with skype -I can
>> > hear people AOK, but to them my voice sounds as though I'm
>> > talking down a 10 metre drain pipe. I can confirm this from
>> > the skype echo testing service. I've been onto skype, but so
>> > far they've only told me to do what I've already done(re-install)
>> > other advice they've given me is totally out of date. I don't want
>> > to do anything too drastic because everything else on Lucid
>> > works fine and I don't want to mess up what I've got.
>> > Has anybody come across anything similar or can anybody
>> > give me any pointers.
>>
> I'm getting the same thing with Kubuntu 10.04 i386, I've even tried using the
> line-in input and that sounds bad through Skype, but sounds fine with
> Audacity. I think it has something to do with the audio chipset used as it
> works fine with UNR 10.04 on my Toshiba netbook.
>
> I would love to solve this too.

I've had XP and Mandriva on this desktop before installing Lucid and skype
worked fine on both of them - so I'm not sure it's the chipset. If it's
not finger
trouble on my part, it has to be something with Lucid I think, because
there
is only one version of linux skype for amd64 both kunbutu *.* and
Mandriva *.*

I've added mike volume and boost controls into the Kmix gui and played
with their
settings, I've tried all the audio microphone drivers offered to me by skype
set up - only one of which gives me any sound at all and that is distorted.
Skype muttered about 'pavucontrol', I installed that, its gui came up but
I got another little window saying 'connection failed, connection refused'
and all of the gui boxes were greyed out. I suspect that the PulseAudio
controller is being refused because Kmix is already up and running.
This is the sum total of what I've tried. Any more ideas gladly accepted
brian