Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Mark Fraser

Default skype microphone input

On Wednesday 16 Jun 2010 16:05:39 Brian Wootton wrote:

> I'm running kubuntu 10.04 on an amd64, all of my audio apps

> run perfectly(video, audio, vlc, amarok, dragon player, flash,

> audacity record/playback. My only problem is with skype -I can

> hear people AOK, but to them my voice sounds as though I'm

> talking down a 10 metre drain pipe. I can confirm this from

> the skype echo testing service. I've been onto skype, but so

> far they've only told me to do what I've already done(re-install)

> other advice they've given me is totally out of date. I don't want

> to do anything too drastic because everything else on Lucid

> works fine and I don't want to mess up what I've got.

> Has anybody come across anything similar or can anybody

> give me any pointers.

I'm getting the same thing with Kubuntu 10.04 i386, I've even tried using the line-in input and that sounds bad through Skype, but sounds fine with Audacity. I think it has something to do with the audio chipset used as it works fine with UNR 10.04 on my Toshiba netbook.

I would love to solve this too.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Wednesday 16 Jun 2010 16:15:00 Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 Jun 2010 16:05:39 Brian Wootton wrote:
> > I'm running kubuntu 10.04 on an amd64, all of my audio apps
> > run perfectly(video, audio, vlc, amarok, dragon player, flash,
> > audacity record/playback. My only problem is with skype -I can
> > hear people AOK, but to them my voice sounds as though I'm
> > talking down a 10 metre drain pipe. I can confirm this from
> > the skype echo testing service. I've been onto skype, but so
> > far they've only told me to do what I've already done(re-install)
> > other advice they've given me is totally out of date. I don't want
> > to do anything too drastic because everything else on Lucid
> > works fine and I don't want to mess up what I've got.
> > Has anybody come across anything similar or can anybody
> > give me any pointers.
>
> I'm getting the same thing with Kubuntu 10.04 i386, I've even tried using the
> line-in input and that sounds bad through Skype, but sounds fine with
> Audacity. I think it has something to do with the audio chipset used as it
> works fine with UNR 10.04 on my Toshiba netbook.
>
> I would love to solve this too.

It's working fine for me but audio setup is crucial for echo cancellation to work. Try turning the volume down on your microphone, or perhaps turning your speakers down. It's also worth adjusting the other controls on KMix - on my laptop the setting of the 'Mux' slider is absolutely critical for Skype - but your sound card controls may be different. Also make sure you've disabled the option in Skype to 'Allow Skype To Automatically Adjust My Mixer Levels'. You may also get better results by selecting a specific Microphone input in Skype instead of using 'default'.

HTH

Mark