Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default replacement or fix for gscan2pdf in lucid?

Following my upgrade to lucid, whenever I run gscan2pdf (which has worked
perfectly for many releases, and was first recommended to me here), I get
the error:
scanimage: unrecognized option '--device-name=epson2:libusb:005:002'

Can someone suggest either: (1) a way to get past this error message; or
(2) some other program that can scan and produce PDFs. (I'd kind of like to
keep gscan2pdf since it's worked so well for so long, but I'm pretty
desperate so if there's no alternative but to switch to another program,
I'm willing to do that).

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday, June 15, 2010 07:28:23 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> Following my upgrade to lucid, whenever I run gscan2pdf (which has
worked
> perfectly for many releases, and was first recommended to me
here), I get
> the error:
> scanimage: unrecognized option '--device-
name=epson2:libusb:005:002'

> Can someone suggest either: (1) a way to get past this error
message; or
> (2) some other program that can scan and produce PDFs. (I'd kind
of like to
> keep gscan2pdf since it's worked so well for so long, but I'm pretty
> desperate so if there's no alternative but to switch to another
program,
> I'm willing to do that).
>
> Doc

Never used it before, but I fired it up and it works out of the box. I
didn't use any command line switches, but it found my scanner after it
scanned for devices. If you are running it via the command line, leave
off the device name portion and let it find your scanner

You can also check for the device id like this
$ scanimage -L

Both openoffice and krita, kword, etc can export to pdf but it isn't
quite as easy

In openoffice, you can go to insert-- picture --scan

in Kword Insert -- scan image

clay

Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Clay Weber said the following at 06/15/2010 07:02 PM :

> Never used it before, but I fired it up and it works out of the box. I
> didn't use any command line switches, but it found my scanner after it
> scanned for devices. If you are running it via the command line, leave

It found the scanner OK. It's just that it gave the error when I actually
try to scan.

I was running it from the menu.

I have however fixed the problem by deleting the .gscan2pdf file. It looks
like there was an incompatible change to that file somewhere between karmic
and lucid, so that the karmic version of the file was no longer valid.
Deleting the file caused the lucid version to be created and now everything
seems to be OK.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR