Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default stopping /tmp cleanup on reboot

I just updated a system to lucid and discovered that /tmp is being emptied
on reboot. I recall this happening when I upgraded to karmic, but it was
easy to find where this was happening and comment it out ins some startup
script or other. But I haven't been able to find the right script in lucid.
Does anyone happen to know where the command is located so I can comment it
out?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
"D. R. Evans"

D. R. Evans said the following at 06/14/2010 03:44 PM :
> I just updated a system to lucid and discovered that /tmp is being emptied
> on reboot. I recall this happening when I upgraded to karmic, but it was
> easy to find where this was happening and comment it out ins some startup
> script or other. But I haven't been able to find the right script in lucid.
> Does anyone happen to know where the command is located so I can comment it
> out?

FWIW, I found my notes... in the past, /tmp was emptied during execution of
a script called bootclean.sh. It was a simple matter to comment out a line
in that script.

But it seems that in lucid bootclean.sh no longer exists, so I need to know
which file now does the job of emptying /tmp, so I can stop it doing so.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Monday 14 June 2010, D. R. Evans wrote:
> I just updated a system to lucid and discovered that /tmp is being
> emptied on reboot. I recall this happening when I upgraded to
> karmic, but it was easy to find where this was happening and
> comment it out ins some startup script or other. But I haven't
> been able to find the right script in lucid. Does anyone happen
> to know where the command is located so I can comment it out?

It's done the way it's always been done... ;-)
In /etc/default/rcS edit "TMPTIME" to "infinite"

--Reinhold

Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Clay Weber

On Monday, June 14, 2010 06:09:37 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 06/14/2010 03:44 PM :
> > I just updated a system to lucid and discovered that /tmp is being
> > emptied on reboot. I recall this happening when I upgraded to
karmic,
> > but it was easy to find where this was happening and comment it
out ins
> > some startup script or other. But I haven't been able to find the
right
> > script in lucid. Does anyone happen to know where the command
is located
> > so I can comment it out?
>
> FWIW, I found my notes... in the past, /tmp was emptied during
execution of
> a script called bootclean.sh. It was a simple matter to comment out
a line
> in that script.
>
> But it seems that in lucid bootclean.sh no longer exists, so I need to
know
> which file now does the job of emptying /tmp, so I can stop it doing
so.

> Doc

Google seems to show that you need to edit the file /etc/default/rcS
and change
TMPTIME=0
TMPTIME=-1

0=always empty, A positive number specifies the number of days
between emptying, and a -1 disables it altogether

Clay

Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Clay Weber said the following at 06/14/2010 04:25 PM :

> Google seems to show that you need to edit the file /etc/default/rcS
> and change
> TMPTIME=0
> TMPTIME=-1
>
> 0=always empty, A positive number specifies the number of days
> between emptying, and a -1 disables it altogether

Thank you, sir (and Reinhold too).

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Alvin

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 00:13:57 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Monday 14 June 2010, D. R. Evans wrote:
> > I just updated a system to lucid and discovered that /tmp is being
> > emptied on reboot. I recall this happening when I upgraded to
> > karmic, but it was easy to find where this was happening and
> > comment it out ins some startup script or other. But I haven't
> > been able to find the right script in lucid. Does anyone happen
> > to know where the command is located so I can comment it out?
>
> It's done the way it's always been done... ;-)
> In /etc/default/rcS edit "TMPTIME" to "infinite"

Karmic wasn't supposed to keep files in /tmp.

I wonder why you want to keep /tmp at boot. This has led to problems for me in
the past (not being able to start X)
For this reason, my /tmp is mounted as tmpfs. There is a blueprint to make
this the default.

See also:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/524196
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-karmic-tmp-as-tmpfs

Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Tuesday 15 June 2010, Alvin wrote:
> I wonder why you want to keep /tmp at boot. This has led to
> problems for me in the past (not being able to start X)
> For this reason, my /tmp is mounted as tmpfs. There is a blueprint
> to make this the default.
>
> See also:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/524196
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-karmic-tmp-as
> -tmpfs

I've experienced the bug myself - however, e.g. konqueror uses/used
some file in /tmp to detect crashes and restore itself after one.
That would be pretty difficult if /tmp was emptied on every boot.

I also sometimes find it useful to examine the temp files some apps
produce, especially over a couple of days.

--Reinhold