Old 01-15-2008, 10:54 PM
"Bas Roufs"

Default (Newbie) password stagnation

Dear everybody

Ever since several weeks, I have difficulties getting my PASSWORD
typed in any shell console, after going to the SUDO modus. In every
shell I have been using, the problem remains the same. I type by
example 'sudo passwrd'. Than I see:

[sudo] passwrd for Bas

Also after other commands in combination with 'sudo', this appears in
any shell console I might use:

[sudo] passwrd for Bas

Several times, I tried to type the password from that point. But the
cursor simply gets stuck: it simply stays where it is. I simply do not
have any possibility to get the password typed.

This nasty problem stagnates many things - that's why I would
appreciate any help from some of you to find some way(s) to solve it.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

************************
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
E.: BasRoufs@gmail.com
M.: +31.6.446.835.10.
T.: +31.30.785.20.40.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Terence Simpson

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear everybody
>
> Ever since several weeks, I have difficulties getting my PASSWORD
> typed in any shell console, after going to the SUDO modus. In every
> shell I have been using, the problem remains the same. I type by
> example 'sudo passwrd'. Than I see:
>
> [sudo] passwrd for Bas
>
> Also after other commands in combination with 'sudo', this appears in
> any shell console I might use:
>
> [sudo] passwrd for Bas
>
> Several times, I tried to type the password from that point. But the
> cursor simply gets stuck: it simply stays where it is. I simply do not
> have any possibility to get the password typed.
>
> This nasty problem stagnates many things - that's why I would
> appreciate any help from some of you to find some way(s) to solve it.
>
> Respectfully Yours,
>
> Bas.

This is how sudo is supposed to work, just type your password in and hit
enter, it's not printed when you type it.
You wouldn't want someone looking over your shoulder to see what your
password is, so it's not printed. Also, if it were printed, then it
would show in the terminal history, So it's more secure to hide all
input when using passwords.

Terence

Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Jan 15, 2008 7:45 PM, Terence Simpson <stdin@stdin.me.uk> wrote:
> Bas Roufs wrote:
> > Dear everybody
> >
> > Ever since several weeks, I have difficulties getting my PASSWORD
> > typed in any shell console, after going to the SUDO modus. In every
> > shell I have been using, the problem remains the same. I type by
> > example 'sudo passwrd'. Than I see:
> >
> > [sudo] passwrd for Bas
> >
> > Also after other commands in combination with 'sudo', this appears in
> > any shell console I might use:
> >
> > [sudo] passwrd for Bas
> >
> > Several times, I tried to type the password from that point. But the
> > cursor simply gets stuck: it simply stays where it is. I simply do not
> > have any possibility to get the password typed.
> >
> > This nasty problem stagnates many things - that's why I would
> > appreciate any help from some of you to find some way(s) to solve it.
> >
> > Respectfully Yours,
> >
> > Bas.
> >

> This is how sudo is supposed to work, just type your password in and hit
> enter, it's not printed when you type it.
> You wouldn't want someone looking over your shoulder to see what your
> password is, so it's not printed. Also, if it were printed, then it
> would show in the terminal history, So it's more secure to hide all
> input when using passwords.
>
> Terence

Right. It is a little awkward to not have anything echoed back when
you type (not even *'s), but don't worry about it. Just type it in
and hit enter.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Girard Henri

Normal !!!!
it 's