Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Brian Wootton

Default Re; VIDEO_TS

On 10/06/10 13:07, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Assuming those are windows apps: I'm unwilling to get windows just to
> be able to copy a DVD, especially when ripping them in linux is easy
> when using mplayer, k9copy or k3b.
>> > This is also great for rented movies because you can rent a bunch,
>> > copy, return disks, watch one a week for a while, erasing as you
>> > go, and then rent more.
>> >
>> > Bending the law in your country? Yes, but then so is using CSS.
>>
> How's using CSS bending german law?
>
> --Reinhold

Or any other country, Reinhold! I'm not really interested in cluttering
up my HDs with ripped videos, all I want to do is play paid for rented
dvd movies on my computer - if that requires CSS then so be it. I can't
think there can be many judges who would rule that any-one couldn't
play media they had paid for.
brian

Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Basil Chupin

On 10/06/10 23:12, Brian Wootton wrote:
> On 10/06/10 13:07, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
>> Assuming those are windows apps: I'm unwilling to get windows just to
>> be able to copy a DVD, especially when ripping them in linux is easy
>> when using mplayer, k9copy or k3b.

>> How's using CSS bending german law?
>>
>> --Reinhold
>>

> Or any other country, Reinhold! I'm not really interested in cluttering
> up my HDs with ripped videos, all I want to do is play paid for rented
> dvd movies on my computer - if that requires CSS then so be it. I can't
> think there can be many judges who would rule that any-one couldn't
> play media they had paid for.
> brian

Absolutely. And so in order to be able to play DVD on your computer you
would need to install the apps. mentioned in

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

But the only thing is that CSS is patented....it belongum to private,
profit making entity and so it wantum lotsa pearl shells in exchange for
you using that technology...

BC

--

Attorney: All your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
Witness: Oral.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> But the only thing is that CSS is patented....it belongum to private,
> profit making entity and so it wantum lotsa pearl shells in exchange
> for you using that technology...

Well, it may be patented but if I understand our patent law right, I may
use that technology at home for non-commercial purposes anyway - without
handing over "lotsa pearl shells" to the patent owner. But other
countries may have no mercy with individual private users of patented
technology.

Nils

Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Basil Chupin

On 11/06/10 00:20, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> But the only thing is that CSS is patented....it belongum to private,
>> profit making entity and so it wantum lotsa pearl shells in exchange
>> for you using that technology...
>>
> Well, it may be patented but if I understand our patent law right, I may
> use that technology at home for non-commercial purposes anyway - without
> handing over "lotsa pearl shells" to the patent owner. But other
> countries may have no mercy with individual private users of patented
> technology.
>

> Nils

This response also touches on what Reinhold stated in the post following
yours, and which I omitted in my original response to avoid making it
big: the equipment one buys to play these DVDs with CSS/DRM/whatever
protection contains the ability to decrypt such protection - otherwise
nobody would be able to view the DVDs. One is paying the "pearl shells"
via the cost of the equipment when one buys an "approved" DVD player
which will play such DVDs.

But there are DVD players available which will play such DVDs without
blinking an eye-lid - and not cost an arm and a leg when you buy the
unit. I have been told to avoid anything Sony (or MS for that matter)
because of their adherence to DRM - but then all this stuff does not
affect me, and so to me its all academic.

BC

Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Knapp

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 11/06/10 00:20, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> But the only thing is that CSS is patented....it belongum to private,
>>> profit making entity and so it wantum lotsa pearl shells in exchange
>>> for you using that technology...
>>>
>> Well, it may be patented but if I understand our patent law right, I may
>> use that technology at home for non-commercial purposes anyway - without
>> handing over "lotsa pearl shells" to the patent owner. But other
>> countries may have no mercy with individual private users of patented
>> technology.
>>

>> Nils
>>

> This response also touches on what Reinhold stated in the post following
> yours, and which I omitted in my original response to avoid making it
> big: the equipment one buys to play these DVDs with CSS/DRM/whatever
> protection contains the ability to decrypt such protection - otherwise
> nobody would be able to view the DVDs. One is paying the "pearl shells"
> via the cost of the equipment when one buys an "approved" DVD player
> which will play such DVDs.
>
> But there are DVD players available which will play such DVDs without
> blinking an eye-lid - and not cost an arm and a leg when you buy the
> unit. I have been told to avoid anything Sony (or MS for that matter)
> because of their adherence to DRM - but then all this stuff does not
> affect me, and so to me its all academic.
>
> BC
>

> --
> Attorney: * All your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
> Witness: * *Oral.

It gets more mean than that. If you move to a new place, then you
can't play the DVDs in that place without changing your player's
setting. You can only do this 5 times. What happen if you buy disks in
both places? Yep, you loose one or the other. I guess most people
don't move as much as me but this is a truly evil thing anyway.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massagen Arbeit in Gelsenkirchen Buer
http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Why is there a semicolon after the "Re" in your subject line?

On Thursday 10 June 2010, Knapp wrote:
> If you move to a new place, then you
> can't play the DVDs in that place without changing your player's
> setting. You can only do this 5 times. What happen if you buy
> disks in both places? Yep, you loose one or the other.

Not true, you just need two players... :-P

Also, if you're lucky enough to get one of the older model, they
aren't pre-set to a location and don't need to be set to allow
playing...
I can keep playing DVDs from any part of the world without problems,
at least as long as this drive lasts...

--Reinhold

Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Knapp

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de> wrote:
> Why is there a semicolon after the "Re" in your subject line?
>
> On Thursday 10 June 2010, Knapp wrote:
>> If you move to a new place, then you
>> can't play the DVDs in that place without changing your player's
>> setting. You can only do this 5 times. What happen if you buy
>> disks in both places? Yep, you loose one or the other.
>
> Not true, you just need two players... :-P
>
> Also, if you're lucky enough to get one of the older model, they
> aren't pre-set to a location and don't need to be set to allow
> playing...
> I can keep playing DVDs from any part of the world without problems,
> at least as long as this drive lasts...
>
> *--Reinhold

2 players meaning you have to pay for your css rights two times,
duplicate your hardware that costs a large sum and that is just if you
move one time. I am now at my 15th city. Thank god only in 2 countries
so far. ;-) But what if I had been my dad? I would need like 10 DVD
players. LOL