Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Default VIDEO_TS

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Brian Wootton wrote:
> I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly
> from disc. I've tried Dragon Player, VLC, SMPlayer so far - all
> fire up OK and look as though they might be doing something but
> all sit there eventually with a blank black window going nowhere.

You *have* installed the restricted-extras and libdvdcss2? (BTW,
another one to try is xine.=

--Reinhold

Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Basil Chupin

On 09/06/10 20:03, Brian Wootton wrote:
> I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly from disc.
> I've tried Dragon Player, VLC, SMPlayer so far - all fire up OK and look as
> though they might be doing something but all sit there eventually with a
> blank black window going nowhere. SUNSHINE is the name of the film on
> the DVD I get this on the command line:

With VLC select from the File menu OPEN DIRECTORY; go to the directory
containing the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS sub-directories; right-click on
the words VIDEO_TS - this will highlight this sub-directory; now left
click on any empty space on the screen which will allow you to move the
cursor but which will keep the sub-dir VIDEO_TS still highlighted; now
left click on the OPEN box bottom right of menu) and the movie should
now play.

BC

--
Attorney: All your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
Witness: Oral.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Gerardo

Brian Wootton wrote:
> I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly from disc.
> I've tried Dragon Player, VLC, SMPlayer so far - all fire up OK and look as
> though they might be doing something but all sit there eventually with a
> blank black window going nowhere. SUNSHINE is the name of the film on
> the DVD I get this on the command line:

> % ls /media
> floppy floppy0 SUNSHINE
> % smplayer /media/SUNSHINE/
> This is SMPlayer v. 0.6.8 (SVN r3213) running on Linux
> QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No
> such file or directory

> SMPlayer fires up and I get a blank screen which just sits there for
> ever and
> I have to CNTRL-C to get the command line back.
>
> I don't have a clue what's wrong or where to go from here, can any body help
> brian
> PS I'm running lucid on an amd64 desktop

Try:

mplayer dvd://1

That'll play the first title of the disc, which usually is the main
feature. Change the 1 to play other titles.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Brian Wootton wrote:
> I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly
> from disc.

Whoa, I somehow missed that part. That'll never work if the disc is
using CSS since the driver used to mount the disc doesn't know how to
handle the incompatibilities introduced by it. You need to not mount
it and simply use your favourite DVD player to play it the way it
does DVDs (which is slightly akward in the case of mplayer).

If the disc doesn't use CSS, you are likely just missing a driver.

--Reinhold

Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Brian Wootton

On 09/06/10 15:38, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>> I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly
>> > from disc.
>>
> Whoa, I somehow missed that part. That'll never work if the disc is
> using CSS since the driver used to mount the disc doesn't know how to
> handle the incompatibilities introduced by it. You need to not mount
> it and simply use your favourite DVD player to play it the way it
> does DVDs (which is slightly akward in the case of mplayer).
>
> If the disc doesn't use CSS, you are likely just missing a driver.
>
> --Reinhold

This disc does use css, KpackageKit, etc refers me to libdvdread4
which is already installed.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs tells me
to install libdvdread4 and then it should work,
only it doesn't.
Just for luck I tried 'sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2' and got the
following:

% sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package libdvdcss2 has no installation candidate

Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Jonas Norlander

2010/6/9 Brian Wootton <Brian.Meg@btinternet.com>:
> On 09/06/10 15:38, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>>> I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly
>>>
>> Whoa, I somehow missed that part. That'll never work if the disc is
>> using CSS since the driver used to mount the disc doesn't know how to
>> handle the incompatibilities introduced by it. You need to not mount
>> it and simply use your favourite DVD player to play it the way it
>> does DVDs (which is slightly akward in the case of mplayer).
>>
>> If the disc doesn't use CSS, you are likely just missing a driver.
>>
>> * *--Reinhold
>>
> This disc does use css, KpackageKit, etc refers me to libdvdread4
> which is already installed.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs tells me
> to install *libdvdread4 and then it should work,
> only it doesn't.
> *Just for luck I tried 'sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2' and got the
> following:

> % sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package libdvdcss2 has no installation candidate
>
> I suspect sabotage, I will do some further googling.
> thanks all
> brian

I always enable the medibuntu repository and if I don't remember wrong
there is where the css libraries are.
Instruktion how to eneble it is on there site.

/ Jonas

Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Brian Wootton wrote:
> On 09/06/10 15:38, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> >> I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly
> >> from disc.
> >
> > Whoa, I somehow missed that part. That'll never work if the disc
> > is using CSS since the driver used to mount the disc doesn't
> > know how to handle the incompatibilities introduced by it. You
> > need to not mount it and simply use your favourite DVD player
> > to play it the way it does DVDs (which is slightly akward in
> > the case of mplayer).
> >
> > If the disc doesn't use CSS, you are likely just missing a
> > driver.
>
> This disc does use css, KpackageKit, etc refers me to libdvdread4
> which is already installed.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
> tells me to install libdvdread4 and then it should work,
> only it doesn't.

Well, you kinda also need the codecs used to encode the video
files...

> Just for luck I tried 'sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2' and got
> the following:

If it doesn't use CSS, this won't do you any good - you'll need the
kubuntu-restricted-extras package.

> --------------------- % sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another
> package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been
> obsoleted, or is only available from another source
> E: Package libdvdcss2 has no installation candidate
> -------------------------------------
>
> I suspect sabotage, I will do some further googling.

Actually, you just need to add the medibuntu repository. That should
be easy with a quick google.

--Reinhold

Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Brian Wootton

On 09/06/10 15:38, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Brian Wootton wrote:
>
>> > I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly
>> > from disc.
>>
> Whoa, I somehow missed that part. That'll never work if the disc is
> using CSS since the driver used to mount the disc doesn't know how to
> handle the incompatibilities introduced by it. You need to not mount
> it and simply use your favourite DVD player to play it the way it
> does DVDs (which is slightly akward in the case of mplayer).
>
> If the disc doesn't use CSS, you are likely just missing a driver.
>
> --Reinhold

To continue the saga, I ran this command:
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
which seemed to do the trick, but....
% mplayer dvd://1
MPlayer SVN-r1.0~rc3+svn20090426-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing dvd://1.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
There are 48 titles on this DVD.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000154
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x0002491b
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x00025a99
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x0023545e
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x00235464
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.VOB at 0x00280d16
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x00280d1b
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_0.VOB at 0x003257bc
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x003257c1
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.VOB at 0x0033dce6
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x0033dceb
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB at 0x0036e991
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0x0036e996
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_0.VOB at 0x0037db7b
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB at 0x0037db80
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_0.VOB at 0x00397ae4
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB at 0x00397ae9
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_09_0.VOB at 0x00397b44
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_09_1.VOB at 0x00397b4a
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_0.VOB at 0x0039a414
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_10_1.VOB at 0x0039a41a
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_11_0.VOB at 0x0039a4ab
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_11_1.VOB at 0x0039a4b0
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Found 11 VTS's
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 128.
audio stream: 1 format: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 129.
audio stream: 2 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 130.
audio stream: 3 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 131.
number of audio channels on disk: 4.
subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: en
number of subtitles on disk: 3

Exiting... (End of file)

closer but still no banana. Have I now got a permissions problem?
is this OK, for instance?

%ls -ls /dev/sr0
0 brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2010-06-09 18:32 /dev/sr0

I ain't giving up yet, but I'm running a bit short of ideas for the moment
so I'll sleep on it.
brian

Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Brian Wootton

On 09/06/10 15:38, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Brian Wootton wrote:
>
>> > I'm getting nowhere attempting to play VIDEO_TS videos directly
>> > from disc.
>>
> Whoa, I somehow missed that part. That'll never work if the disc is
> using CSS since the driver used to mount the disc doesn't know how to
> handle the incompatibilities introduced by it. You need to not mount
> it and simply use your favourite DVD player to play it the way it
> does DVDs (which is slightly akward in the case of mplayer).
>
> If the disc doesn't use CSS, you are likely just missing a driver.
>
> --Reinhold

And to finish this saga, before knocking off for the night I thought
I might just try a re-boot - lo and behold I got a nice fat juicy banana -
all the video players I've installed now successfully play VIDEO_TS
dvds - thank you all and good night.
brian

Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Brian Wootton wrote:
<snip>

I don't quite remember, what the command you found does exactly. But
you should *really* get the medibuntu repo and install the
restricted-extras. Oh, and your disc *does* use CSS, according to the
output you pasted.

> closer but still no banana. Have I now got a permissions problem?

No.

> is this OK, for instance?

Yes.

> %ls -ls /dev/sr0
> 0 brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2010-06-09 18:32 /dev/sr0
>
> I ain't giving up yet, but I'm running a bit short of ideas for
> the moment so I'll sleep on it.

As I mentioned before, mplayer is a little strange. Try a different
one, like VLC or xine. If you absolutely insist on mplayer, at least
try the graphical frontend gmplayer.

--Reinhold