Old 06-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Pascal Francq

Default KUbuntu 10.04 64 bits freezes

Hi,
I have upgraded KUbuntu 64 bits from 9.10 to 10.04 and since then my computer
hangs at least 5 times per day (sometimes after only 15 minutes of work). In
fact, it seems linked to the display which freezes. I have a nvidia card and I
use the driver 195.36.24.
Has someone else this problem ?
Thanks.
--

Dr. Ir. Pascal Francq
BELGIUM

Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Tuesday 08 June 2010, Pascal Francq wrote:
> Hi,
> I have upgraded KUbuntu 64 bits from 9.10 to 10.04 and since then
> my computer hangs at least 5 times per day (sometimes after only
> 15 minutes of work). In fact, it seems linked to the display
> which freezes. I have a nvidia card and I use the driver
> 195.36.24.
> Has someone else this problem ?

I have an issue where KUbuntu's X server crashes surprisingly often
when I press the Enter key (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/575055)
after an upgrade... :-P

If this is doable for you, you could try switching to the vesa driver
to see whether that stops the freezes.

--Reinhold

Old 06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Michael Renner

On Tuesday 08 June 2010, Pascal Francq wrote:
> Hi,

Moin,

> I have upgraded KUbuntu 64 bits from 9.10 to 10.04 and since then my
> computer hangs at least 5 times per day (sometimes after only 15 minutes
> of work). In fact, it seems linked to the display which freezes. I have a
> nvidia card and I use the driver 195.36.24.

I use Linux mars 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 19:31:57 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux with nvidia-current, version 195.36.24-0ubuntu1~10.04
NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module without problems.

Can you login via the network to check if X hangs or the whole machine?

CU
--
|Michael Renner E-mail: michael.renner@gmx.de |
|D-81541 Munich Germany ICQ: #112280325 |

Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Nils Kassube

Pascal Francq wrote:
> I have upgraded KUbuntu 64 bits from 9.10 to 10.04 and since then my
> computer hangs at least 5 times per day (sometimes after only 15
> minutes of work). In fact, it seems linked to the display which
> freezes. I have a nvidia card and I use the driver 195.36.24.

If your card works with the older 173 driver, that one would be another
option to try. While I didn't have any freezes, I wasn't happy with the
195 driver either - it somehow felt a bit sluggish.

Nils

Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:58:23 pm Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> I have an issue where KUbuntu's X server crashes surprisingly often
> when I press the Enter key (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/575055)
> after an upgrade... :-P
>
> If this is doable for you, you could try switching to the vesa driver
> to see whether that stops the freezes.

The nouvea (nv) driver is pretty good too.
--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Pascal Francq

Hi,
1. I have not lmake the test, but I am quite sure since the last it freezes, I
was doing something on the Web, and the process continues (I receive an e-mail
confirming it).
2. In my packages, the version of nvidia-current seems to be 256.29.x.

--

Dr. Ir. Pascal Francq
BELGIUM

Old 06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Pascal Francq

I have install the 256.29 driver and I have the same problem. I think now it
is a problem with my graphic card. Indeed, when the computer hangs and I try
to reboot, most of the time, it refuses to boot and the ventilator goes wild
as if the (graphical) processor has a too high temperature. I have to wait for
a while (~20 minutes) to be able to reboot again. At the beginning, I was
thinking is was a bug in the driver that causes this behaviour, but now that I
have exact the same thing with this other driver, I am quite sure it is a
hardware problem.

--

Dr. Ir. Pascal Francq
BELGIUM