Old 06-08-2010, 11:36 AM
xPol

Default audio access

I have noticed that users accessing (via su or ssh) the kdm session of
another user cannot play sounds or hear audio tracks. How can all local
users be allowed to that?
Thank you

---P

Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Tuesday 08 June 2010, xPol wrote:
> I have noticed that users accessing (via su or ssh) the kdm
> session of another user cannot play sounds or hear audio tracks.
> How can all local users be allowed to that?

How can you access a different "kdm session" (which I take to mean
either KDE or X session), especially that of a different user, via
ssh/su?

--Reinhold

Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 PM
xPol

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 June 2010, xPol wrote:
>> I have noticed that users accessing (via su or ssh) the kdm
>> session of another user cannot play sounds or hear audio tracks.
>> How can all local users be allowed to that?
>
> How can you access a different "kdm session" (which I take to mean
> either KDE or X session), especially that of a different user, via
> ssh/su?

from a character terminal (say, konsole). Users are local.

---P

Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Tuesday 08 June 2010, xPol wrote:
> Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 June 2010, xPol wrote:
> >> I have noticed that users accessing (via su or ssh) the kdm
> >> session of another user cannot play sounds or hear audio
> >> tracks. How can all local users be allowed to that?
> >
> > How can you access a different "kdm session" (which I take to
> > mean either KDE or X session), especially that of a different
> > user, via ssh/su?
>
> from a character terminal (say, konsole). Users are local.

In that case I'm guessing they're accessing the X session via
DISPLAY=':0' or something similar?

Because that works perfectly here, just make sure they are in the
"audio" group...

--Reinhold

Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
xPol

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> In that case I'm guessing they're accessing the X session via
> DISPLAY=':0' or something similar?

That should be properly set, since graphic applications work for every
users.

Maybe other applications work, however videos from youtube play with no
sound, if the user is not the owner of the kdm session

> Because that works perfectly here, just make sure they are in the
> "audio" group...

I have no audio group. Should i?

thank you

---P

Old 06-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Tuesday 08 June 2010, xPol wrote:
> Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > In that case I'm guessing they're accessing the X session via
> > DISPLAY=':0' or something similar?
>
> That should be properly set, since graphic applications work for
> every users.
>
> Maybe other applications work, however videos from youtube play
> with no sound, if the user is not the owner of the kdm session

I just played a video from vt3 using xine. Worked like a breeze.

> > Because that works perfectly here, just make sure they are in
> > the "audio" group...
>
> I have no audio group. Should i?

Are you sure? They aren't in alphabetical order. You can check with
the following command:
grep audio /etc/group

I have one, and if the user isn't in it, they can't play audio...
see /dev/snd/

--Reinhold

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM
xPol

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

>> I have no audio group. Should i?
>
> Are you sure? They aren't in alphabetical order. You can check with
> the following command:
> grep audio /etc/group
I get:
audio:x:29ulse,timidity

No real user has been added to that group. Yet the session owner can play
audio files
I am using Kde 4.4.4

Anyway, i will add users to that group and see

> I have one, and if the user isn't in it, they can't play audio...
> see /dev/snd/

l /dev/snd/
root pcmC0D0p& 0b 13:10
root pcmC0D0c& 0b 07Jun
root by-path/ 60b 05Jun
root controlC0& 0b 05Jun
root pcmC0D1c& 0b 05Jun
root pcmC0D2c& 0b 05Jun
root pcmC0D3c& 0b 05Jun
root pcmC0D4p& 0b 05Jun
root seq& 0b 05Jun
root timer& 0b 05Jun

thank you

---P

Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Tuesday 08 June 2010, xPol wrote:
> Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> >> I have no audio group. Should i?
> >
> > Are you sure? They aren't in alphabetical order. You can check
> > with the following command:
> > grep audio /etc/group
>
> I get:
> audio:x:29ulse,timidity
>
> No real user has been added to that group. Yet the session owner
> can play audio files
> I am using Kde 4.4.4

... and, apparently, pulse audio? Then the KDE, etc. apps will access
the sound devices indirectly through a pulse audio daemon and have
permission that way. I guess the daemon either filters other users or
provides an environment variable which can only be accessed from
within the session started by KDM/KDE.

> Anyway, i will add users to that group and see
>
> > I have one, and if the user isn't in it, they can't play
> > audio... see /dev/snd/
>
> l /dev/snd/

If you use "ls -l", you'll see that the group is "audio", meaning
that any user in that group will be able to access the device
directly. Note that users will only be able to use those privileges
within console sessions that are started *after* the user becomes a
member of the audio group.

--Reinhold

Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 AM
xPol

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> and, apparently, pulse audio? Then the KDE, etc. apps will access
> the sound devices indirectly through a pulse audio daemon and have
> permission that way. I guess the daemon either filters other users or
> provides an environment variable which can only be accessed from
> within the session started by KDM/KDE.
>
>> Anyway, i will add users to that group and see

It doesn't work
I have checked that user belongs to the 'audio' group, then
% dbus-launch konqueror

youtube videos are displayed, but no audio
Maybe a reboot is needed?

>> l /dev/snd/
>
> If you use "ls -l", you'll see that the group is "audio", meaning
> that any user in that group will be able to access the device

yes, the group is 'audio'

What should i do with the Pulse audio sound system?
Is it needed?

Thank you
---P

Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, xPol wrote:
> Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > and, apparently, pulse audio? Then the KDE, etc. apps will
> > access the sound devices indirectly through a pulse audio
> > daemon and have permission that way. I guess the daemon either
> > filters other users or provides an environment variable which
> > can only be accessed from within the session started by
> > KDM/KDE.
> >
> >> Anyway, i will add users to that group and see
>
> It doesn't work
> I have checked that user belongs to the 'audio' group, then
> % dbus-launch konqueror
>
> youtube videos are displayed, but no audio
> Maybe a reboot is needed?

As with most things Linux, a re-login should do.
Is dbus-launch strictly necessary for konqueror?

> What should i do with the Pulse audio sound system?
> Is it needed?

I uninstalled everything to do with pulse audio not needed by KDE and
selected xine as the backend in the KDE multimedia settings. I'm
pretty sure no sound daemons are running and blocking the sound
devices, but then, what do I know... :-P

You may want to try watching those videos using Firefox to make sure
that it isn't just konqueror acting up. If that fails, you could
download one and try playing it directly using xine (install xine-ui
if you haven't already), to exclude problems with the flash plugin.

--Reinhold