Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM
"Mario Andes"

Default 32/64 bit

The printer is a Brother monochrome laser.
Brother suggests to force dpkg to install the package despite of the wrong
system architecture. I don't like that idea. One don't know in which
moments
the software will crash!

mario

--
Using Opera's revolution e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Tom Bell

On 06/03/2010 03:20 PM, Mario Andes wrote:
> The printer is a Brother monochrome laser.
> Brother suggests to force dpkg to install the package despite of the wrong
> system architecture. I don't like that idea. One don't know in which
> moments
> the software will crash!
>
> mario
>
> Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:59:12 +0200, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> On 06/03/2010 08:43 PM, Mario Andes wrote:
>>
>>> Hallo folks,
>>>
>>> Lucid Lynx works fine on my Thinkpad T61. Currently using 2 cores.
>>> My problem is the printer driver which don't support 64bit and it's
>>> important for me.
>>>
>>> Is it possible, to switch the whole system globally from 64bit to 32bit?
>>> The installed software will not work with only 1 core.
>>> Is it possible, to do a system update after switching to 1 core withthe
>>> repair action of the ISO?
>>>
>>> mario
>>>

>> Convert from 64bit to 32bit means a completely new
>> installation. But you can continue to use your data, if this
>> is located on separated partitions.
>>

>> Which printer and driver are you trying to use?
>>
>> Maybe you can compile the driver for 64bit?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Eberhard

I have used "force" with no problems so far. You can use
32-bit software on a 64-bit machine, but not the other way
round. The 32-bit software won't run as fast or as efficiently
as 64-bit software.
Similarly, you can pour 1/2 gallon of water into a 1 gallon
bucket, but you cannot pour 2 gallons of water into a 1 gallon
bucket and expect it to hold it all.
That is just a fact of life.
Good luck!

Tom

--
"PC, "Where would you like to go today?" ...
Mac, "Where would you like to be tomorrow?" ...

Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Thu, June 3, 2010 21:20, Mario Andes wrote:
> The printer is a Brother monochrome laser.

Could you give more details on the exact model of the printer?

Does Brother provide the source code of the driver? Perhaps as a download
on their website? If so then perhaps somebody will be able to help you
with recompiling the driver for 64bit.

The best case scenario is that the printer is already supported by Linux
for 99% of its features and that you need the driver only for some extras
that you'll never use.

Some people also have success with the driver of a different model in the
same series. For example they have a FooBar 520 driver which is not
supported, but Linux has a driver for the FooBar 510 driver, which appears
to be compatible for all printers in the FooBar 5xx series.

--
Amedee

Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 AM
David Kuntadi

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Tom Bell <cbell44@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> I have used "force" with no problems so far. *You can use
> 32-bit software on a 64-bit machine, but not the other way
> round.

I have the same problem. My solution is the same, force the driver to
be installed:

sudo dpkg --install --force-architecture your_driver.deb

DK

Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Gerardo

Mario Andes wrote:
> The printer is a Brother monochrome laser.
> Brother suggests to force dpkg to install the package despite of the wrong
> system architecture. I don't like that idea. One don't know in which
> moments
> the software will crash!
>
> mario

I own a Brother MFC-8300, which is also a monochrome laser printer. It
worked in 64-bit Lucid right away. The driver that I'm using is
Foomatic/hl7x0. Try it and see how it works.