Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   Kubuntu Crashes, Third Time (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/37187-kubuntu-crashes-third-time.html)

Jim 01-14-2008 03:46 PM

Kubuntu Crashes, Third Time
 
Kubuntu 7.10
Bootup and Ubuntu "Boot Menu" comes up and when Kubuntu starts , Error
15: File not found. .....Press any key to continue. I press key and
get same error message.

This is the third time that Kubuntu has crash like this on this Laptop
and I have to reinstall each time.
I have XP, Fedora, and Kubuntu installed on Laptop, Fedora 8 or XP
doesn't have any problems of booting from
Ubuntu Boot Menu, it's just Kubuntu that crashes.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Chris Miller" 01-14-2008 03:52 PM

Kubuntu Crashes, Third Time
 
On Jan 14, 2008 8:46 AM, Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Kubuntu 7.10
> Bootup and Ubuntu "Boot Menu" comes up and when Kubuntu starts , Error
> 15: File not found. .....Press any key to continue. I press key and
> get same error message.
>
> This is the third time that Kubuntu has crash like this on this Laptop
> and I have to reinstall each time.
> I have XP, Fedora, and Kubuntu installed on Laptop, Fedora 8 or XP
> doesn't have any problems of booting from
> Ubuntu Boot Menu, it's just Kubuntu that crashes.

Sounds like an error in how you (or your tool) wrote the sources.list in /boot.

Check settings, it's probably indicating a nonexistant kernel.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman
John 3:16!
If Microsoft is the Wal*Mart of the Software World, then Linux is the Home Depot

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Donn 01-14-2008 04:05 PM

Kubuntu Crashes, Third Time
 
> 15: File not found. .....Press any key to continue. I press key and
> get same error message.
You need to somehow find what file it's looking for and where it thinks it is.

> This is the third time that Kubuntu has crash like this on this Laptop
> and I have to reinstall each time.
Don't repeat things that don't work. Better to do some digging.

If you can send us more details, that will help.

d

--
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster
than society gathers wisdom."
-- Isaac Asimov

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 01-14-2008 05:08 PM

Kubuntu Crashes, Third Time
 
Chris Miller wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2008 8:46 AM, Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Kubuntu 7.10
>> Bootup and Ubuntu "Boot Menu" comes up and when Kubuntu starts , Error
>> 15: File not found. .....Press any key to continue. I press key and
>> get same error message.
>>
>> This is the third time that Kubuntu has crash like this on this Laptop
>> and I have to reinstall each time.
>> I have XP, Fedora, and Kubuntu installed on Laptop, Fedora 8 or XP
>> doesn't have any problems of booting from
>> Ubuntu Boot Menu, it's just Kubuntu that crashes.

I like how you blame Kubuntu. When did you last upgrade Fedora? This
sounds very much like you're letting both Fedora and Kubuntu update the
MBR, and are surprised by the results!

If you're going to install two Linux distros to the same machine, you're
best off installing grub to the superblock of the respective partitions,
and have grub (or another bootloader) chain to them the same way you chain
to Windows now (fwiw, that's _exactly_ why booting to XP isn't an issue -
and booting to Fedora works because the Ubuntu installer was smart enough
to know it was there. Booting to Ubuntu isn't working because the _Fedora_
installer doesn't know about Ubuntu).

> Sounds like an error in how you (or your tool) wrote the sources.list in
> /boot.

/boot/grub/menu.lst, actually

> Check settings, it's probably indicating a nonexistant kernel.

Yes.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Jim 01-14-2008 05:14 PM

Kubuntu Crashes, Third Time
 
Chris Miller wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 8:46 AM, Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Kubuntu 7.10
>> Bootup and Ubuntu "Boot Menu" comes up and when Kubuntu starts , Error
>> 15: File not found. .....Press any key to continue. I press key and
>> get same error message.
>>
>> This is the third time that Kubuntu has crash like this on this Laptop
>> and I have to reinstall each time.
>> I have XP, Fedora, and Kubuntu installed on Laptop, Fedora 8 or XP
>> doesn't have any problems of booting from
>> Ubuntu Boot Menu, it's just Kubuntu that crashes.
>>
>
> Sounds like an error in how you (or your tool) wrote the sources.list in /boot.
>
> Check settings, it's probably indicating a nonexistant kernel.
>
>
The problem is;

initrd.img is being changed to a BAK files, (as shown in /boot)

initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak
initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.dpkg-bak

This is the , (as shown in /boot)

vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic

I did a rescue and performed the below command,

mv initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

And did a reboot and it booted into Kubuntu-7.10.

WHAT'S CHANGING initrd.img to a BAK file ???


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.