-   -   Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3 and KDE 4 and LTS (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/36941-kubuntu-8-04-kde-3-kde-4-lts.html)

"O. Sinclair" 01-14-2008 10:54 AM

Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3 and KDE 4 and LTS

This is some sort of poll to see what the people on the list thinks
about this.

I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
7.10

what do you think? As I know Jonathan Riddell reads the list we might
send a message to him and the other developers this way.

Sinclair

Neil Winchurst 01-14-2008 11:01 AM

Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3 and KDE 4 and LTS

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:54:06 +0200
"O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is some sort of poll to see what the people on the list thinks
> about this.
>
> I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
> being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
> KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
> 7.10
>
> what do you think? As I know Jonathan Riddell reads the list we might
> send a message to him and the other developers this way.
>
> Sinclair

I have been reading the emails about KDE4, and it must be one of the
biggest threads ever on the list. My thoughts are that I will not
consider KDE4 until it has had a lot more work on it. I am planning to
install Hardy when it is ready, but only if I can have it with KDE3.5,
otherwise I won't bother.

So I fully agree with you. Your poll has started with a yes.

Neil Winchurst

Girard Henri 01-14-2008 11:09 AM

Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3 and KDE 4 and LTS

Personnally I think that's not a good option :)
kde4 works fine and in few months should be much better :)
It"s better to put all efforts improving kde4

Donn 01-14-2008 11:13 AM

Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3 and KDE 4 and LTS

> I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
> being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
> KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
> 7.10

I'll take a longer view and say that my experience with Dapper was pretty
cruddy after 2 years and I had to jump ship up to Gutsy anyway. I don't
really *get* the whole LTS thing, but that could be because I develop some
code now and then and get irked by old libs.

I won't be bugging anyone to mess with their plans.

"Life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators."
-- Richard Dawkins

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Alexander Smirnov 01-14-2008 12:12 PM

O. Sinclair wrote:
> This is some sort of poll to see what the people on the list thinks
> about this.
>
> I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
> being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
> KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
> 7.10
>
> what do you think? As I know Jonathan Riddell reads the list we might
> send a message to him and the other developers this way.
>
> Sinclair

As far as i know, 8.04 will not become LTS.

As for KDE4 as option - i think it is reasonable to leave KDE3.5 as
option. At least for first Ubuntu release after KDE4 released.

Clay Weber 01-14-2008 12:22 PM

On Monday 14 January 2008 8:12:58 am Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
> > This is some sort of poll to see what the people on the list thinks
> > about this.
> >
> > I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
> > being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
> > KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
> > 7.10
> >
> > what do you think? As I know Jonathan Riddell reads the list we might
> > send a message to him and the other developers this way.
> >
> > Sinclair
>
> As far as i know, 8.04 will not become LTS.
>
> As for KDE4 as option - i think it is reasonable to leave KDE3.5 as
> option. At least for first Ubuntu release after KDE4 released.

Yes, *Canonical* (and not the Kubuntu dev(s) iirc) made the decision to not
have a Kubuntu LTS.
Yes, you will be able to choose KDE versions in Hardy, though I don't know if
they have decided which will be the default, or maybe separate cd images, or
whatever.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Derek Broughton 01-14-2008 12:23 PM

Alexander Smirnov wrote:

> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> This is some sort of poll to see what the people on the list thinks
>> about this.
>>
>> I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
>> being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
>> KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
>> 7.10
>>
>> what do you think? As I know Jonathan Riddell reads the list we might
>> send a message to him and the other developers this way.
>>
> As far as i know, 8.04 will not become LTS.

He didn't say it would - but he wants one, and I imagine there are quite a
few people who feel that way.

I don't think it's really possible - there won't be enough resources to
maintain KDE 3.5 for an LTS, but there is no possibility that KDE 4 will be
_ready_ for an LTS in April. Perhaps, it might be more reasonable that
Kubuntu 8.10 be declared an LTS - but I suspect that is just as
problematic, as it would mean maintaining all the common Ubuntu/Kubuntu
components for the long-term, too.

> As for KDE4 as option - i think it is reasonable to leave KDE3.5 as
> option. At least for first Ubuntu release after KDE4 released.

It's not looking, at this time, as if KDE4 can even _be_ an option in 8.04.
--
derek

"O. Sinclair" 01-14-2008 12:23 PM

Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> This is some sort of poll to see what the people on the list thinks
>> about this.
>>
>> I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
>> being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
>> KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
>> 7.10
>>
>> what do you think? As I know Jonathan Riddell reads the list we might
>> send a message to him and the other developers this way.
>>
>> Sinclair
>>

> As far as i know, 8.04 will not become LTS.
No - and that is one thing I think is wrong since this is due to putting
a, from all mail I can see, fairly unstable and unfinished KDE4 as some
sort of main option instead of KDE3.5. Not too late to change I hope.

> As for KDE4 as option - i think it is reasonable to leave KDE3.5 as
> option. At least for first Ubuntu release after KDE4 released.
I wouldn't want KDE4 as "main" until KDE PIM is ported and a lot of
other apps. Wait until 4.1 or so I think.

Sinclair

Derek Broughton 01-14-2008 12:29 PM

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have been reading the emails about KDE4, and it must be one of the
> biggest threads ever on the list. My thoughts are that I will not
> consider KDE4 until it has had a lot more work on it. I am planning to
> install Hardy when it is ready, but only if I can have it with KDE3.5,
> otherwise I won't bother.

Same here. I count 173 posts to the list in ~36 hours.

> So I fully agree with you. Your poll has started with a yes.

But that doesn't make any sense. There's just no way to make a Kubuntu 8.04
LTS with or without KDE 4.
--
derek

"O. Sinclair" 01-14-2008 12:35 PM

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
>> I have been reading the emails about KDE4, and it must be one of the
>> biggest threads ever on the list. My thoughts are that I will not
>> consider KDE4 until it has had a lot more work on it. I am planning to
>> install Hardy when it is ready, but only if I can have it with KDE3.5,
>> otherwise I won't bother.
>
> Same here. I count 173 posts to the list in ~36 hours.
>> So I fully agree with you. Your poll has started with a yes.
>
> But that doesn't make any sense. There's just no way to make a Kubuntu 8.04
> LTS with or without KDE 4.
Why? As someone posted that is a Canonical decision

Sinclair