Old 01-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3 and KDE 4 and LTS

O. Sinclair wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> I have been reading the emails about KDE4, and it must be one of the
>>> biggest threads ever on the list. My thoughts are that I will not
>>> consider KDE4 until it has had a lot more work on it. I am planning to
>>> install Hardy when it is ready, but only if I can have it with KDE3.5,
>>> otherwise I won't bother.
>>
>> Same here. I count 173 posts to the list in ~36 hours.
>>> So I fully agree with you. Your poll has started with a yes.
>>
>> But that doesn't make any sense. There's just no way to make a Kubuntu
>> 8.04 LTS with or without KDE 4.

> Why? As someone posted that is a Canonical decision

Because (a) KDE 4 isn't ready yet, and it seems too close to April for it to
_be_ ready; and (b) where would they get the developers to maintain KDE
3.5?

I suppose Mark Shuttleworth could just choose to spend his own money to hire
enough staff to work full-time keeping 3.5 working...
--
derek

Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
marc

O. Sinclair said...

> I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 and make
> it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.
> KDE4 can be an option for those who are interested, just as it is now in
> 7.10

I agree wholeheartedly.

Because of the upgrade problems I've had with each upgrade since the
last LTS, I had decided to stick to LTS versions only from now on -
unless the upgrade process becomes a lot more robust. In the
circumstances, I plan on moving away from (K)ubuntu. (I stopped
recommending (K)ubuntu (for non-geeks) after the first upgrade to the
last LTS.)

I believe that the lack of a Kubuntu LTS is a bad decision.

--
Cheers,
Marc

Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Terence Simpson

O. Sinclair wrote:
> This is some sort of poll to see what the people on the list thinks
> about this.
>
> I am very much for keeping KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.04 (yes I know it is not
> being removed) and make it an LTS release alongside the Ubuntu 8.04.

It's not our choice.