Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 AM
Clark

Default Advice on Partitioning ?

Can someone suggest a good place to start reading up on the subject of
Partitioning and if possible the software used and where to get it.
Wine is way too exotic for me at this stage.

Thanks,

Clark.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:56 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Sunday 13 January 2008 10:12:54 pm Clark wrote:
> Can someone suggest a good place to start reading up on the subject of
> Partitioning and if possible the software used and where to get it.
> Wine is way too exotic for me at this stage.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clark.

By Partitioning are you asking for install orders of OS's so that you can dual
boot, or how to and how much to assign to, partitions?

the First is fairly easy.
First create a partition of whatever size you want for Windoze, then install
Kubuntu (or whatever distro) second. Otherwise MS will hose up your Master
Boot Record and you'll lose the ability to boot into Linux.

OR

Lay out the partitioning strictly for Linux, giving a fairly large portion
to /home. Then use VirtualBox, or VMWare free server to create a Windoze
guest. This will let you reboot it faster when Windoze crashes, and allow
you to run your needed app at the same time you're running Linux.

Now, for Partitioning Schemes, i.e. how much and how many partitions to use.
That is a whole other ball game.
Reasons:
1. Depends on How big your hard drive is.
2. Depends on What you are going to do with it.
3. Depends on who you ask about it.

If I were you I would start by Googling "partition layout linux how-to"

You'll find a myriad of recommendations. IBM, Linux Documentation Project,
Linuxforums.org, Linuxquestions.org, Linux How-to list, just to name a few
places to go.

My recommendation for starter desktops is that you at least create 4
partitions for Linux:
1. " / " called "root" Give this at least 15 - 20 GB (if your hard drive is
large enough)
2. "/boot" Give this no more than 100 MB as it will never need all of that.
This is just for the Kernel and its needed files.
3. "/home" Give this the lion Share of the drive because this is where you
are going to put just about everything.
4. "swap" Probably wont need more than 2 GB (I know I've never needed it,
for desktop setups anyway).

Now, you can definitely get more advanced, but that usually works for a start.
This layout allows you to install a hundred different distros and not lose
your data in the /home directory, keeps you from having to do extended
Partitions unless you have windoze as a separate one, and is easy to keep up
with. :-D.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Clark

Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

[...]

I opted for Kubuntu 7.10 to load (2 weeks ago - first Linux) without a
partition, deleting my Ms completely.* I recall seeing some options to
establish partitions when I put the Canonical disk in initially but was
unsure of my options so postponed the decision till later.* I haven't
been able to find the Partitioning software on the disk since.* Now I
realise that your suggestions above are a more rational approach and
I'll do some reading at the referred sites in the hope of getting a
better idea how to do it and more to the point what it all means.

Thanks for the suggestions and references,

Clark.

*

Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Donn

> I'll do some reading at the referred sites in the hope of getting a
> better idea how to do it and more to the point what it all means.
Partitioning is a pretty fundamental thing - it leaves you with a hard
drive 'cut up' into sections. My stress always goes through the roof when I
have to do it because it's not something that happens all the time, only
every few years when I happen to get a new drive.

I think, if you don't mind wiping your data (please backup first), your best
bet is to boot off the Gutsy (or whatever) CD and do what you did before,
only this time use the partitioning wizard that comes up during the install
process. I think it has help too.

Use howard's advice on sizes etc.

These are my settings:
Partition 1 18Gb, mount point / (which is root), Type ext3 (which is a good
choice for the filesystem type)
Partition 2 1Gb, mount none, Type swap (the swap file has it's own type)
Partition 3 XXGb (the rest), mount point /home, Type ext3

Then continue with the install.

*IF* you want to dual-boot with Windows, then you *must* install Windows
first. I can't recall how Win handles partitioning, it should be part of the
deal on installation. You could make all the partitions needed for Kubuntu at
that time (from Windows setup) too. Just make one extra one for the Windows
C: drive.

NOTE:
After 3 "primary" partitions, things get horrible. One has to create "virtual"
partitions within one of the primaries. So, if you are going with Windows
too, then you need 4 partitions, so divide your first partition into two and
make one / (root) and one swap.

You should expect to do this several times before you get a clue
You should also expect to then forget it all until next time.
Repeat

HTH

"Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their
victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you
won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it."
-- Richard Dawkins

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Bill Vance

On Sun Jan 13 20:12:54 2008 Clark wrote:

>Can someone suggest a good place to start reading up on the subject of
>Partitioning and if possible the software used and where to get it.
>Wine is way too exotic for me at this stage.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Clark.
>
>--
>Wine is way too exotic for me at this stage.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Clark.

If you're dealling with kubuntu 7.04, hang it up; It's completely incapable
of dealling with anything more complicated than a, "swap", partition, and a
single, "/", partition, which contains everything. _ANY_ attempt to create
more partitions, using any of the available file systems, simply generates
a bazillion arcane mounting errors on bootup. Sometimes you can get past
these, but they'll still bite you in the butt when you try to install
software, or do anything else complex.

Bill

* *
RKBA! * Blessings on thee, oh Israel!!! * 4-19!
* *

An _EFFECTIVE_ | Insured by | All Matter is vibration. | Let he who hath no
weapon in every | by Colt; | --Max Planck | weapon, sell his
hand = Freedom | Dial | In the beginning was the | garment, and buy a
on every side!! | 1-911-A1 | Word. --The Holy Bible | sword. --Jesus Christ

Old 01-14-2008, 10:37 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Monday 14 January 2008 04:44:39 am Bill Vance wrote:
> On Sun Jan 13 20:12:54 2008 Clark wrote:
> >Can someone suggest a good place to start reading up on the subject of
> >Partitioning and if possible the software used and where to get it.
> >Wine is way too exotic for me at this stage.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Clark.
> >
> >--
> > exotic for me at this stage.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Clark.
>
> If you're dealling with kubuntu 7.04, hang it up; It's completely
> incapable of dealling with anything more complicated than a, "swap",
> partition, and a single, "/", partition, which contains everything. _ANY_
> attempt to create more partitions, using any of the available file systems,
> simply generates a bazillion arcane mounting errors on bootup. Sometimes
> you can get past these, but they'll still bite you in the butt when you try
> to install software, or do anything else complex.
>
> Bill

That's funny, the partitioning Scheme I recommended I have used on every
desktop I have setup for years. going back to 6.06 in Kubuntu, and SuSE 8 -
10, etc. I've never encountered problems like those.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Vance wrote:

> On Sun Jan 13 20:12:54 2008 Clark wrote:
>
>>Can someone suggest a good place to start reading up on the subject of
>>Partitioning and if possible the software used and where to get it.
>>Wine is way too exotic for me at this stage.
>>
> If you're dealling with kubuntu 7.04, hang it up; It's completely
> incapable of dealling with anything more complicated than a, "swap",
> partition, and a
> single, "/", partition, which contains everything. _ANY_ attempt to
> create more partitions, using any of the available file systems, simply
> generates

What utter crap. What have you been smoking? I've been using
separate /, /home, /var, /usr and swap partitions since Warty. Since
that's too many for primary partitions, I've been using a mix of Primary
and Logical partitions. Since Dapper, /home, /var and /usr have even been
on an LVM. I'll admit that the LVM initially caused me a few headaches,
and I'm still not convinced it was necessary or even wise, but separating
(at least) /var and /home from the more static partitions is always a good
idea.

> a bazillion arcane mounting errors on bootup. Sometimes you can get past
> these, but they'll still bite you in the butt when you try to install
> software, or do anything else complex.

No they won't. I've _never_ had an arcane mounting error, except when
trying to mount unchecked fs'es which routinely tells you they have bad
superblocks (which is arcane, but easily fixed).
--
derek

Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Derek Broughton

Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

> My recommendation for starter desktops is that you at least create 4
> partitions for Linux:
> 1. " / " called "root" Give this at least 15 - 20 GB (if your hard drive
> is large enough)
> 2. "/boot" Give this no more than 100 MB as it will never need all of
> that. This is just for the Kernel and its needed files.
> 3. "/home" Give this the lion Share of the drive because this is where
> you are going to put just about everything.
> 4. "swap" Probably wont need more than 2 GB (I know I've never needed
> it, for desktop setups anyway).

This isn't a bad method, but I disagree with bothering with a partition
for /boot. It complicates grub configuration (because relative paths to
the boot partition become /grub..., rather than /boot/grub...) and 100MB
will no doubt not always be enough. When I used to keep a /boot partition,
I think I made the partition 30MB - which was more than enough. Then
kernels got too big for me to be able to have a "current" and "new" kernel
at the same time...

--
derek

Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Joe Burgess

Also if you are wondering about partitioning after the fact, there is a
great file partitioner called GParted it is pretty easy to use and you
can install it with apt-get install gparted.

-Joe

Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Monday 14 January 2008 07:41:23 am Derek Broughton wrote:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > My recommendation for starter desktops is that you at least create 4
> > partitions for Linux:
> > 1. " / " called "root" Give this at least 15 - 20 GB (if your hard drive
> > is large enough)
> > 2. "/boot" Give this no more than 100 MB as it will never need all of
> > that. This is just for the Kernel and its needed files.
> > 3. "/home" Give this the lion Share of the drive because this is where
> > you are going to put just about everything.
> > 4. "swap" Probably wont need more than 2 GB (I know I've never needed
> > it, for desktop setups anyway).
>
> This isn't a bad method, but I disagree with bothering with a partition
> for /boot. It complicates grub configuration (because relative paths to
> the boot partition become /grub..., rather than /boot/grub...) and 100MB
> will no doubt not always be enough. When I used to keep a /boot partition,
> I think I made the partition 30MB - which was more than enough. Then
> kernels got too big for me to be able to have a "current" and "new" kernel
> at the same time...

Which goes back to what I said before this part: It depends on who you ask.

I like to separate /boot out, but there have been times when I just didn't
want to mess with it. So, I could go either way. I have used the above for
years (since about 2000) without a problem, so I guess its just habit. I
don't know of a "technical" reason for separating it out anymore, I just
still do, :-D.

I have a server I'm going to be setting up (sometime this week), which I will
leave that in with root. I'll create a /opt partition because of the
application, and will do the same for /var because I expect a lot of temp
files. / , /opt, swap and /var will be about it for this box.

I usually throw in the exhortation to separate any file system you expect may
at some time be used by regular users, or may fill up. Generally that'll
work on any system.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.