Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 AM
Clark

Default Advice on Partitioning ?

Thanks, all your advice on Partitions has been filed until
a) I make the time to do some serious reading and or
b) Wine actually stops freezing Kubuntu and comes with a bit more simple
language help.

Either way, my 30 plus year old DOS (beginners) command line and MS
windows will take a lot of educating before I try messing with this
stuff. I now have the use of a floppy (through root account only so
far) and I can access the Writer files of my non root account so I can
backup with minimal fuss now but the pull down menu that gives me access
to the floppy just isn't there in the non root acc.

I just wanted it to run Encyclopaedia Britannica and the more I look at
whats on the web with my DSL 2, and 2 gigs download the more I think
Windows, Wine and the above Encyclopaedia , for me are not really
necessary. Who knows I may find an Encyclopaedia for Linux that works
just as well or better than Britannica.

Cheers,

Clark.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Bill Vance

On Mon Jan 14 03:37:03 2008 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

>On Monday 14 January 2008 04:44:39 am Bill Vance wrote:
>> On Sun Jan 13 20:12:54 2008 Clark wrote:
>> >Can someone suggest a good place to start reading up on the subject of
>> >Partitioning and if possible the software used and where to get it.
>> >Wine is way too exotic for me at this stage.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Clark.
>> >
>> >--
>> > exotic for me at this stage.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Clark.
>>
>> If you're dealling with kubuntu 7.04, hang it up; It's completely
>> incapable of dealling with anything more complicated than a, "swap",
>> partition, and a single, "/", partition, which contains everything. _ANY_
>> attempt to create more partitions, using any of the available file systems,
>> simply generates a bazillion arcane mounting errors on bootup. Sometimes
>> you can get past these, but they'll still bite you in the butt when you try
>> to install software, or do anything else complex.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>That's funny, the partitioning Scheme I recommended I have used on every
>desktop I have setup for years. going back to 6.06 in Kubuntu, and SuSE 8 -
>10, etc. I've never encountered problems like those.

Neither have I. With three versions of Caldera, and one of SUSE, all had their
little issues, but _nothing_ approaching the crap I went through trying to get
a decent install with Kubuntu. It simply couldn't deal with the pre-existing
Reiserfs partitions left over from SUSE. After numerous attempts, I gave each
of the other fs's a bunch of tries, as well, and no go. I blew them all out,
re-partitioned from scratch, and after many more attempts with each, I finally
gave up and did it as described above. Attempts to follow advice from the list
either didn't work, or made things worse. I'm _still_ browned off about the
experience. What exists now is _mostly_ functional, but it doesn't help a bit,
that several packages I wanted to get into are now on the, "broken", list.

I may yet decide the agravation isn't worth it, and go back to SUSE.

Bill

* *
RKBA! * Blessings on thee, oh Israel!!! * 4-19!
* *

An _EFFECTIVE_ | Insured by | All Matter is vibration. | Let he who hath no
weapon in every | by Colt; | --Max Planck | weapon, sell his
hand = Freedom | Dial | In the beginning was the | garment, and buy a
on every side!! | 1-911-A1 | Word. --The Holy Bible | sword. --Jesus Christ

Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Bill Vance

On Mon Jan 14 05:36:22 2008 Derek Broughton wrote:

>Bill Vance wrote:
>
>> On Sun Jan 13 20:12:54 2008 Clark wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone suggest a good place to start reading up on the subject of
>>>Partitioning and if possible the software used and where to get it.
>>>Wine is way too exotic for me at this stage.
>>>
>> If you're dealling with kubuntu 7.04, hang it up; It's completely
>> incapable of dealling with anything more complicated than a, "swap",
>> partition, and a
>> single, "/", partition, which contains everything. _ANY_ attempt to
>> create more partitions, using any of the available file systems, simply
>> generates
>
>What utter crap. What have you been smoking? I've been using
>separate /, /home, /var, /usr and swap partitions since Warty. Since
>that's too many for primary partitions, I've been using a mix of Primary
>and Logical partitions. Since Dapper, /home, /var and /usr have even been
>on an LVM. I'll admit that the LVM initially caused me a few headaches,
>and I'm still not convinced it was necessary or even wise, but separating
>(at least) /var and /home from the more static partitions is always a good
>idea.

Agreed; I like to keep them _all_ seperated. As to your first question,
I've been smoking my shorts and shooting up shoe polish, trying to match in
with the altered consiousness state of the daemonmic entity that set up
install software incapable of dealing with making partitions and file systems
that work. Nice that it works for you, but that don't help me worth spit.

Bill

* *

Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 04:19:28 am Bill Vance wrote:
> On Mon Jan 14 05:36:22 2008 Derek Broughton wrote:
> >Bill Vance wrote:
> >>
> >> If you're dealling with kubuntu 7.04, hang it up; It's completely
> >> incapable of dealling with anything more complicated than a, "swap",
> >> partition, and a
> >> single, "/", partition, which contains everything. _ANY_ attempt to
> >> create more partitions, using any of the available file systems, simply
> >> generates
> >
> >What utter crap. What have you been smoking? I've been using
> >separate /, /home, /var, /usr and swap partitions since Warty. Since
> >that's too many for primary partitions, I've been using a mix of Primary
> >and Logical partitions. Since Dapper, /home, /var and /usr have even been
> >on an LVM. I'll admit that the LVM initially caused me a few headaches,
> >and I'm still not convinced it was necessary or even wise, but separating
> >(at least) /var and /home from the more static partitions is always a good
> >idea.
>
> Agreed; I like to keep them _all_ seperated. As to your first question,
> I've been smoking my shorts and shooting up shoe polish, trying to match in
> with the altered consiousness state of the daemonmic entity that set up
> install software incapable of dealing with making partitions and file
> systems that work. Nice that it works for you, but that don't help me
> worth spit.

You know, . . . now that I think about it there was one version of Kubuntu
that had serious problems installing, unless you used the Alternative install
CD. There was an update to it, like 6.06.1 or something like that (may not
have been 6.06 I just can't remember now), that followed fairly quickly that
fixed it. I remember not being able to boot after doing an install because
the install CD never copied or installed the kernel to the right place.

However, 7.04, and 7.10 were just fine for installers.
--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.