Old 01-14-2008, 02:51 AM
Brad Opferman

Default KDE 4.0.0! First Experience

My first experience with KDE4 was very pleasant, but it left me
disappointed. First I was tinkering around with the bottom tool bar,
which ended up forcing the clock to the far left next to the K menu. I
could not find any options or configurations in my brief examination of
the new system to correct this problem. Next, I encountered a problem of
when I minimized windows, the wouldn't show up in the bottom bar, rather
I would have to Alt-tab to access them. Next I was moving icons around
on the desktop and somehow grabbed the wallpaper and started moving it
around the screen. The orientation and alignment of the background was
corrected with logging out and then in again. I encountered these
problems which will be deterring me from using KDE4 until there are
further updates.

Another thing that I found quite irritating was the fact that I could
not drag on the desktop to select multiple icons, it would select
nothing. I found multiple icons highlighted with a hover of the mouse,
which is quite annoying. I also had some problems auto aligning icons on
the desktop, they would have gaps and the grid feature didn't seem to
snap objects to it.

Some notable features that impressed me were the fantastic layout of the
new system. It is quite user friendly and elegantly designed. The
wallpapers are all quite colorful and well designed. Oxygen (I believe)
provides some amazing new features and makes a very pleasant experience.

My final thoughts on KDE4 are that it has been clearly planned out but
still has some kinks to work out before it is ready for mainstream use.
The problems I encountered really frustrated me. I will stick with KDE3
until there are more bug fixes.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 AM
"Jonathan Jesse"

<snip>
I am really enjoy KDE4 on Gutsy as well, along with the Live CD.* BOth look and act great.

Couple of problems I am having are with On SCreen Display with Konverstation and a couple of minor problems.

Really enjoying this.