Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 AM
James Rodger

Default I have no x windows

*

I tried to fix my windows stopping (after screen went to sleep only could move mouse everything else had stopped - Running Sony Viao with Nvidia drivers) but after changing /etc/default/acpi-support my screen went blank and now I can only get to text OS.

*

Is there anyway of repairing KDE desktop so I can use again without rebuilding my notebook and therefore upsetting my partner?

*

Thanks guys

James Rodger
jrodger@hotmail.com

0420312767

Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Donn

> drivers) but after changing /etc/default/acpi-support my screen went blank
All I can offer is a copy of my Kubuntu Gutsy (7.10) version of that file.
Perhaps if you replace it again things will change.

root@ddm:/etc/default# cat acpi-support

# Comment the next line to disable ACPI suspend to RAM
ACPI_SLEEP=true

# Comment the next line to disable suspend to disk
ACPI_HIBERNATE=true

# Change the following to "standby" to use ACPI S1 sleep, rather than S3.
# This will save less power, but may work on more machines
ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=mem

# Add modules to this list to have them removed before suspend and reloaded
# on resume. An example would be MODULES="em8300 yenta_socket"
#
# Note that network cards and USB controllers will automatically be unloaded
# unless they're listed in MODULES_WHITELIST
MODULES=""

# Add modules to this list to leave them in the kernel over suspend/resume
MODULES_WHITELIST=""

# Should we save and restore state using the VESA BIOS Extensions?
SAVE_VBE_STATE=true

# The file that we use to save the vbestate
VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate

# Should we attempt to warm-boot the video hardware on resume?
POST_VIDEO=true

# Save and restore video state?
# SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true

# Should we switch the screen off with DPMS on suspend?
USE_DPMS=true

# Use Radeontool to switch the screen off? Seems to be needed on some machines
# RADEON_LIGHT=true

# Uncomment the next line to switch away from X and back again after resume.
# This is needed for some hardware, but should be unnecessary on most.
# DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true

# Set the following to "platform" if you want to use ACPI to shut down
# your machine on hibernation
HIBERNATE_MODE=shutdown

# Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
LOCK_SCREEN=true

# Uncomment this line to have DMA disabled before suspend and reenabled
# afterwards
# DISABLE_DMA=true

# Uncomment this line to attempt to reset the drive on resume. This seems
# to be needed for some Sonys
# RESET_DRIVE=true

# Add services to this list to stop them before suspend and restart them in
# the resume process.
STOP_SERVICES=""

# Restart Infra Red services on resume - off by default as it crashes some
# machines
RESTART_IRDA=false

# Switch to laptop-mode on battery power - off by default as it causes odd
# hangs on some machines
ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=false

# Spindown time on battery
SPINDOWN_TIME=12

HTH
Atheism is myth understood.
-- unknown

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Joe Burgess

For the future, that is why it is good practice to create a backup of
any configuration files that you are about to change!

-Joe