Old 01-12-2008, 03:14 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

Default kde-4.0 "tweeks" (needed?)

OK I have been playing around with rc2 etc for a while. I uninstalled it
scrubbed ~/.kde4 and installed 4.0.

First impressions are good, very different from 3.5.8 but I am always open to
learning to do things new ways. And it is really great colors etc... and at
least my installation is VERY fast!

I do need a little help in a few areas at this time tho.

1. attempting to run anything that requires kdesu wont work as kdesu is
apparently broken. I can make them work by starting a konsole and running
them with kdesudo, but this is not that great. How do we fix this?

2. If I add an app to the favorites in teh menu, when I reboot they are gone.

3. knetworkmanager does not automatically start when logging in? How do we
restart apps like that when logging in?

4. battery plasmoid only shows the battery accurately on my Dell D820 when I
select to always show both batteries, I only have one, the other shows blank,
but takes up the space.

5. KDEPIM I realize was not ready, but can we get a repo with the betas? I
tried them with the 3.97 rc that we had a while back and they were not that
bad, I found some things I liked.

Well more later but these things are my really only gripes now, other than
that it seems to be working well enough that I rarely go back and log into
3.5.8.

Mike

Old 01-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

lÝrdag den 12. Januar 2008 kvad Michael W. Holdeman:
[About KDE4]
> 3. knetworkmanager does not automatically start when logging in?
> How do we restart apps like that when logging in?

I have not installed KDE4, but never the less...
In KDE3 there is a folder ~/.kde/Autostart/ in which one can put thing
one would like to - well - autostart on login.

Has that been removed from KDE4?

Best regards )
Johnny )

Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

On Saturday 12 January 2008 03:12:36 pm Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> lÝrdag den 12. Januar 2008 kvad Michael W. Holdeman:
> [About KDE4]
>
> > 3. knetworkmanager does not automatically start when logging in?
> > How do we restart apps like that when logging in?
>
> I have not installed KDE4, but never the less...
> In KDE3 there is a folder ~/.kde/Autostart/ in which one can put thing
> one would like to - well - autostart on login.
>
> Has that been removed from KDE4?
If it isn't removed it is moved, or just absent and needs to be created.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael W. Holdeman wrote:

> 1. attempting to run anything that requires kdesu wont work as kdesu is
> apparently broken. I can make them work by starting a konsole and running
> them with kdesudo, but this is not that great. How do we fix this?

Since Gutsy, kdesu has only been a link to kdesudo, anyway. If I have it
right, installing kdesudo moves kdesu to kdesu.distrib, and then creates
the symlink.

> 3. knetworkmanager does not automatically start when logging in? How do we
> restart apps like that when logging in?

!!! I really wish they'd worked the bugs out of network-manager _before_
they'd pushed it on us. I like it, I really do, but it _still_ isn't as
good as it should be.

--
derek

Old 01-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

lÝrdag den 12. Januar 2008 kvad Michael W. Holdeman:
> > > 3. knetworkmanager does not automatically start when logging
> > > in? How do we restart apps like that when logging in?
> >
> > I have not installed KDE4, but never the less...
> > In KDE3 there is a folder ~/.kde/Autostart/ in which one can put
> > thing one would like to - well - autostart on login.
> >
> > Has that been removed from KDE4?
>
> If it isn't removed it is moved, or just absent and needs to be
> created.

If it is just moved, it should be possible to find it using one of the
file search tools.

Have you tried that?

Best regards )

Johnny )

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

On Sunday 13 January 2008 06:40:00 am Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> lÝrdag den 12. Januar 2008 kvad Michael W. Holdeman:
> > >
> > > I have not installed KDE4, but never the less...
> > > In KDE3 there is a folder ~/.kde/Autostart/ in which one can put
> > > thing one would like to - well - autostart on login.
> > >
> > > Has that been removed from KDE4?
> >
> > If it isn't removed it is moved, or just absent and needs to be
> > created.
>
> If it is just moved, it should be possible to find it using one of the
> file search tools.
>
> Have you tried that?
>
> Best regards )
>
> Johnny )
Yup,
Nogo..

BTW googledesktop is nogo as well

Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

On Saturday 12 January 2008 06:23:31 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> > 1. attempting to run anything that requires kdesu wont work as kdesu is
> > apparently broken. I can make them work by starting a konsole and running
> > them with kdesudo, but this is not that great. How do we fix this?

OK Replying to my own now ..

This part appears to be fixed today!