Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Larry Alkoff

Default How to get scroll mouse working again?

I am running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and have just had the problem
that my scroll mouse will not scroll in Firefox or Thunderbird.
Normally it scrolls fine.

I have tried various methods of getting the scroll working again including
/etc/init.d/gpm restart
and
logging out of KDE and restarting it
and
checking that there were no changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf by comparing
it to a backup copy made over 2 months ago.

The only thing that finally worked was to restart (cold boot) the computer.

Is there any way to get the scroll mouse working again without a cold boot?

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 AM
"Luis Mondesi"

I am running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and have just had the problem
that my scroll mouse will not scroll in Firefox or Thunderbird.
Normally it scrolls fine.

I have tried various methods of getting the scroll working again including

/etc/init.d/gpm restart
and
logging out of KDE and restarting it
and
checking that there were no changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf by comparing
it to a backup copy made over 2 months ago.

The only thing that finally worked was to restart (cold boot) the computer.

Is there any way to get the scroll mouse working again without a cold boot?

cross-posting is considered "rude". see netiquette. I removed the kde* mailing lists from my reply.

you almost NEVER need to reboot a Linux/UNIX system. in this case, restarting X is just fine. And you could've done any of these:

- /etc/init.d/kdm restart
- CTRL+ALT+Backspace (kills X)
- killall -9 X

- pkill -9 X
- sudo telinit 1; # then exit or CTRL-D to go back to runlevel 2 or whatever your default is

you get the idea?

the only times you need to reboot are:

1. a new kernel
2. kernel panic

3. a new third-party driver (especially nvidia and ATI drivers)
4. other computer freezes (hardware related usually, because Linux NEVER freezes :-P)

--
----)(-----
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur fbsgjner jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------

Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Larry Alkoff

Luis Mondesi wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008 7:23 PM, Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> I am running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and have just had the problem
>> that my scroll mouse will not scroll in Firefox or Thunderbird.
>> Normally it scrolls fine.
>>
>> I have tried various methods of getting the scroll working again including
>> /etc/init.d/gpm restart
>> and
>> logging out of KDE and restarting it
>> and
>> checking that there were no changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf by comparing
>> it to a backup copy made over 2 months ago.
>>
>> The only thing that finally worked was to restart (cold boot) the
>> computer.
>>
>> Is there any way to get the scroll mouse working again without a cold
>> boot?
>>

> cross-posting is considered "rude". see netiquette. I removed the kde*
> mailing lists from my reply.
>
> you almost NEVER need to reboot a Linux/UNIX system. in this case,
> restarting X is just fine. And you could've done any of these:
>
> - /etc/init.d/kdm restart
> - CTRL+ALT+Backspace (kills X)
> - killall -9 X
> - pkill -9 X
> - sudo telinit 1; # then exit or CTRL-D to go back to runlevel 2 or whatever
> your default is
>
> you get the idea?
>
> the only times you need to reboot are:
>
> 1. a new kernel
> 2. kernel panic
> 3. a new third-party driver (especially nvidia and ATI drivers)
> 4. other computer freezes (hardware related usually, because Linux NEVER
> freezes :-P)

I agree that a reboot is almost never necessary in Linux.

However, I tried the first two methods you suggested without success:
/etc/init.d/kdm restart
CTRL+ALT+Backspace (kills X)

The fact that these both kill X suggests that there is something missing
that a reboot does. That's what I'd like to find.

Larry

Old 01-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Nils Kassube

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> Is there any way to get the scroll mouse working again without a cold
> boot?

If it is a USB mouse, unplug it and plug it in again. That works for my
mouse every time. But I don't know if it would work with a PS/2 mouse.

Nils

Old 01-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Carl Spitzer

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 20:10 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Larry Alkoff wrote:
> > Is there any way to get the scroll mouse working again without a cold
> > boot?
>
> If it is a USB mouse, unplug it and plug it in again. That works for my
> mouse every time. But I don't know if it would work with a PS/2 mouse.

<ctrl><alt>F1
then
<ctrl><alt>F7

force the hardware to be seen by the software.

--

o _____ | CWSIV@KeepAndBearArms.com |
_/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`