Old 01-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Stew Schneider

Default SSH and OOo

Box A is running as a file server, on Dapper, if I recall correctly. Box
B (in the same office) is running Gutsy with a Gnome desktop (sorry!). I
want Box B to access some shares from Box A.

That shouldn't be too hard, should it? Well, I've made it pretty hard.
Can someone tell me where I'm screwing up?

On Box B: I click Places|Browsing and get nowhere. It will show the
server, but clicking it reports that it cannot open any of the files.
The account from which I'm running on Box A exists on Box B, and at
least one of the shares is 777.

So, I connect to the shares via ssh, and I can see the shares and the
files. If I double click a document, OpenOffice tries to open it, but
then throws a dialog saying User: mike and asks for the password. No
matter what we enter, the dialog returns, now with no User field, still
begging for a password.

On the other hand, if I simply drag the file to the desktop and double
click it, OOo opens it fine.

Why can't OpenOffice open the file "where it sits" on Box A? Permissions
are:

rwxr_xr_x mike:staff

stew

Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Donn

> Why can't OpenOffice open the file "where it sits" on Box A? Permissions
> are:
As far as I now if you execute an app on another machine (over ssh) then it's
going to run on *that* machine. So you need to forward X to get OOO's gui to
appear on your box B.

I have no idea how to forward X when the ssh is going through Konqueror or the
Gnome file manager.

On the command line its:

ssh -X yourname@hostname

Old 01-12-2008, 02:33 PM
"Kelly L. Fulks"

Stew Schneider wrote:
> Box A is running as a file server, on Dapper, if I recall correctly. Box
> B (in the same office) is running Gutsy with a Gnome desktop (sorry!). I
> want Box B to access some shares from Box A.
>
> That shouldn't be too hard, should it? Well, I've made it pretty hard.
> Can someone tell me where I'm screwing up?
>
> On Box B: I click Places|Browsing and get nowhere. It will show the
> server, but clicking it reports that it cannot open any of the files.
> The account from which I'm running on Box A exists on Box B, and at
> least one of the shares is 777.
>
> So, I connect to the shares via ssh, and I can see the shares and the
> files. If I double click a document, OpenOffice tries to open it, but
> then throws a dialog saying User: mike and asks for the password. No
> matter what we enter, the dialog returns, now with no User field, still
> begging for a password.
>
> On the other hand, if I simply drag the file to the desktop and double
> click it, OOo opens it fine.
>
> Why can't OpenOffice open the file "where it sits" on Box A? Permissions
> are:
>
> rwxr_xr_x mike:staff
>
> stew

First if you are doing Linux to Linux, I would use NFS instead of Samba
to do the networking. If you want everything to happen automatically
there are a few technologies that you might want to look into. First
look into NIS for your passwords (NIS is a kind of domain authentication
for Unix and has been around for a couple of decades now, it used to be
called YP or YellowPages). The file server could also be your NIS
server and then your passwords would stay the same between the two
machines. NFS for your sharing of drive space is easy to setup when the
username/userid's match between the two machines. Then you could look
at autofs on the "client" machine so that the drive space would mount
on-demand and unmount when not needed.

As far as I know, OOo doesn't under stand "fish" (files over secure
shell). I have tried that in the past, but always returned to NFS or Samba.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account

Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Stew Schneider

Kelly L. Fulks wrote:
> First if you are doing Linux to Linux, I would use NFS instead of Samba
> to do the networking.
I've had a little time to play with it, and here's what I found:

1. I'm networking Linux to Linux, using an ssh connection, rather than Samba
2. I can drag an OpenOffice document to my desktop from the remote
machine and open it
3. I can open a non-OpenOffice document in gedit just by clicking on it
4. If I click on an OpenOffice document, I get a dialog asking for my
password on the IP of the remote machine. That password is the same as
the password/username on the local machine. The dialog refuses to accept
the password, and returns, this time without the username noted.
5. Clicking cancel gets me a "General Internet Error" dialog from
OpenOffice.
> If you want everything to happen automatically
> there are a few technologies that you might want to look into. First
> look into NIS for your passwords (NIS is a kind of domain authentication
> for Unix and has been around for a couple of decades now, it used to be
> called YP or YellowPages). The file server could also be your NIS
> server and then your passwords would stay the same between the two
> machines. NFS for your sharing of drive space is easy to setup when the
> username/userid's match between the two machines. Then you could look
> at autofs on the "client" machine so that the drive space would mount
> on-demand and unmount when not needed.

Since neither machine "travels" (both are Desktops) I'd just as soon
have a mount point in fstab, but for the life of me I can't get that
going. Do you have a link to a good tutorial?

Thanks!

stew

Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM
"Kelly L. Fulks"

Stew Schneider wrote:
> Kelly L. Fulks wrote:
>> First if you are doing Linux to Linux, I would use NFS instead of Samba
>> to do the networking.
> I've had a little time to play with it, and here's what I found:
>
> 1. I'm networking Linux to Linux, using an ssh connection, rather than Samba
> 2. I can drag an OpenOffice document to my desktop from the remote
> machine and open it
> 3. I can open a non-OpenOffice document in gedit just by clicking on it
> 4. If I click on an OpenOffice document, I get a dialog asking for my
> password on the IP of the remote machine. That password is the same as
> the password/username on the local machine. The dialog refuses to accept
> the password, and returns, this time without the username noted.
> 5. Clicking cancel gets me a "General Internet Error" dialog from
> OpenOffice.
>> If you want everything to happen automatically
>> there are a few technologies that you might want to look into. First
>> look into NIS for your passwords (NIS is a kind of domain authentication
>> for Unix and has been around for a couple of decades now, it used to be
>> called YP or YellowPages). The file server could also be your NIS
>> server and then your passwords would stay the same between the two
>> machines. NFS for your sharing of drive space is easy to setup when the
>> username/userid's match between the two machines. Then you could look
>> at autofs on the "client" machine so that the drive space would mount
>> on-demand and unmount when not needed.
>>
> Since neither machine "travels" (both are Desktops) I'd just as soon
> have a mount point in fstab, but for the life of me I can't get that
> going. Do you have a link to a good tutorial?
>
> Thanks!
>
> stew

I have been using NFS for over 15 years, so I haven't looked at any
tutorials in a while. However, a quick google search turned up this one
that seems to cover the topic pretty well

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/network_administration_guides/NFS_tutorial/index.html

Basically you have to install the nfs server on the file server. Then
you have to export the directory structure that you want to remotely
mount. Once that is completed, you should be able to put an entry into
the fstab that will mount the file system on the client machine.

The only way that I could get OOo (version 2.2 on Fiesty) to open a
document using SSH was to enter the fish:// URL into the "file->open"
dialog. However, I was then presented a message that stated that the
fish protocol was only partially supported and that a local copy would
be made and I could not save the file over the fish URL either.

However, NFS works flawlessly. My home directory is on a file server
that is shared between all the Linux systems here (home network). I
hope that this helps.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account

Old 01-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Stew Schneider

Kelly L. Fulks wrote:
> I have been using NFS for over 15 years, so I haven't looked at any
> tutorials in a while. However, a quick google search turned up this one
> that seems to cover the topic pretty well
>
> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/network_administration_guides/NFS_tutorial/index.html
This looks to be just the ticket. A quick glance seems to indicate that
entries in /etc/export have to include static IP's (and no, I haven't
read the whole manual). If that's so, I'll have some work to do with the
DSL when I get back from school next week.

I think we have the solution, though. Many thanks.

stew

Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
"Kelly L. Fulks"

Stew Schneider wrote:
> Kelly L. Fulks wrote:
>> I have been using NFS for over 15 years, so I haven't looked at any
>> tutorials in a while. However, a quick google search turned up this one
>> that seems to cover the topic pretty well
>>
>> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/network_administration_guides/NFS_tutorial/index.html
> This looks to be just the ticket. A quick glance seems to indicate that
> entries in /etc/export have to include static IP's (and no, I haven't
> read the whole manual). If that's so, I'll have some work to do with the
> DSL when I get back from school next week.
>
> I think we have the solution, though. Many thanks.
>
> stew

Be careful about using NFS with no protection between you and the
Internet. It is an insecure protocol in that it doesn't deal with
authentication. I would only run NFS behind a firewall. Be sure to
read section 6 of the How-To mentioned above before using NFS on an
unprotected network.

I also thought of another question concerning the password prompt when
using the fish:// protocol. Do you have a private/public key that is
used for ssh access to the remote machine? If so, did you try the
password to your private key?

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account

Old 01-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Stew Schneider

Kelly L. Fulks wrote:
> Be careful about using NFS with no protection between you and the
> Internet. It is an insecure protocol in that it doesn't deal with
> authentication. I would only run NFS behind a firewall. Be sure to
> read section 6 of the How-To mentioned above before using NFS on an
> unprotected network.

We should be in good shape. It's in a locked building, five boxes plus
server, behind a router. I still need to deal with hosts.allow and
hosts.deny when I get back from school next week, but I am astonished at
how well it went with the aid of the howto you referred.
> I also thought of another question concerning the password prompt when
> using the fish:// protocol. Do you have a private/public key that is
> used for ssh access to the remote machine? If so, did you try the
> password to your private key?

Don't have a key established. NFS, however, is clearly the right
solution for this application. We're a non-profit which provides
referral and assistance to the needy. That means we run on hand-me-down
boxes, usually encumbered by xp and moving glacially by the time we get
them.On stations where Quickbooks don't have to be run, I'm moving them
to Ubuntu. The performance pickup is very great. Thing is, I want to
introduce as few Linux "eccentricities" as I can, because volunteers and
social workers have to be able to run them. The surprising behavior of
OpenOffice really bothered me, as it's so counter-intuitive.

With the shares mounted as NFS, everything works "like Windows" (except
better ;-) ) and they shouldn't have a problem.

I'm very grateful for your help here. You done good!

stew