Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Terence Simpson

Default KDE 4.0.0!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Brendan

On Friday 11 January 2008, Girard Henri wrote:

No problems here.
Probably something to do with the packages/repos on your box.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Larry Hartman

On Friday 11 January 2008 06:34:09 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 11/01/2008, Terence Simpson <stdin@stdin.me.uk> wrote:
> > Yes, it's finally here and ready to install
> > For instructions see <http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php>
> >
> > RocK on!
> >
> > Terence
>
> Please report back with installation issues and usage problems. I've
> very excited, but I cannot play russian rulette with my laptop.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Yeah, don't use these instructions...it not only gives you the KDE4 stuff, but
also "upgrades" numerous KDE3 packages with those in the PPA
repository....took me 45 minutes of purging these packages, fixing broken
dependencies and reinstalling KDE3 from the main repositories. I nearly had
a very bad problem on my hand.

I think the below suggestion is far wiser and safer on your already installed
KDE3:

> It seems to also be in gutsy-backports now, as it has already started
> downloading here.

My first install of KDE4 from PPA was not so nice....within 5 minutes of
playing around KDE4, it crashed and I lost my panel. I could not retrieve it
back, so I decided to purge the install delete the .kde4 directory from my
home directory and reinstall. This is when I uncovered what PPA did to my
KDE3 install.

Larry

Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Brendan

Maybe you should read the instrucciones, senor?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Terence Simpson

Larry Hartman wrote:
> On Friday 11 January 2008 06:34:09 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> On 11/01/2008, Terence Simpson <stdin@stdin.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it's finally here and ready to install
>>> For instructions see <http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php>
>>>
>>> RocK on!
>>>
>>> Terence
>>>
>> Please report back with installation issues and usage problems. I've
>> very excited, but I cannot play russian rulette with my laptop.
>>
>> Dotan Cohen
>>
>> http://what-is-what.com
>> http://gibberish.co.il
>> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>>
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>>

> Yeah, don't use these instructions...it not only gives you the KDE4 stuff, but
> also "upgrades" numerous KDE3 packages with those in the PPA
> repository....took me 45 minutes of purging these packages, fixing broken
> dependencies and reinstalling KDE3 from the main repositories.
That's very *intentional* those packages are *needed*. (except amarok)
> I nearly had
> a very bad problem on my hand.
>
> I think the below suggestion is far wiser and safer on your already installed
> KDE3:
>

>> It seems to also be in gutsy-backports now, as it has already started
>> downloading here.
>>

> My first install of KDE4 from PPA was not so nice....within 5 minutes of
> playing around KDE4, it crashed and I lost my panel. I could not retrieve it
> back, so I decided to purge the install delete the .kde4 directory from my
> home directory and reinstall. This is when I uncovered what PPA did to my
> KDE3 install.

The only difference from the PPA kde3 packages to the ones in main are
that an extra package has been added "kdebase-bin-kde3", you'll need
that or kdebase-bin-kde4 in order to use KDE4. Just reinstall the -kde3
version if you're going to remove the packages.
> Larry

Terence

Old 01-12-2008, 12:13 AM
"Eduardo P. Román O."

At last, I did it, but no all it's worked.

El Friday 11 January 2008 19:36:54 Brendan escribió:
> [...]

adjuntos es de carácter confidencial o privilegiada y está destinada al uso
exclusivo del emisor y/o de la persona o entidad a quien va dirigida. Si
usted no es el destinatario, cualquier almacenamiento, divulgación,
distribución o copia de esta información está estrictamente prohibido y
sancionado por la ley. Si recibió este mensaje por error, por favor
infórmenos inmediatamente respondiendo este mismo mensaje y borre todos los
archivos adjuntos. Gracias.
CONFIDENTIAL NOTE: The information transmitted in this message and/or
attachments is confidential and/or privileged and is intented only for use of
the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, any retention,dissemination, distribution or copy of this
information is strictly prohibited and sanctioned by law. If you received
this messagge in error, please reply us this same message and delete this
message and all attachments. Thank you.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Derek Broughton

Martin Walshe wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 3:43 PM, Eduardo P. Román O. <eprosoft@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How do you do to install ??
>

> Hi,
> I and others have explained this to you now several times. Please read
> the replys and also please stop top posting on replys it makes things hard
> to follow.

Not to mention the 20 line stupid disclaimer after a 1 line post...
--
derek

Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 AM
"Gert Gast"

But i do get the whole KDE 4.0 lot in Adept notifier on Dapper;
*how do I clean that out??

Gert

On Jan 12, 2008 9:15 AM, Terence Simpson <stdin@stdin.me.uk
Gert Gast wrote:
> I´m on Dapper and get prompted from the package manager to dl KDE4, is that

> advisable, or better wait for next LTS Kubuntu version ?
>
> Cheers, Gert
> ____________________________

It's not available on Dapper, you shouldn't be getting any KDE4

notifications.

Dr Gert Gast

Senior Lecturer, SAE Institute Byron Bay

Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 AM
David McGlone

On Friday 11 January 2008 4:22:42 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 11 January 2008, David McGlone wrote:

> >> Sorry I mispoke .. backports just had an update to one kde4 lib package
> >> to 4.0.0. I'm now following the download instuctions from above.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >
> >I just installed KDE 4. First impression: Very nice! The looks of it are
> > so much more crisper and the colors are beautiful.
>
> What is the new email agent called, I see no mention of kmail in the 4.0
> propaganda as yet.

I'm still using Kontact. So I'm not sure.

--
David M.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 AM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

On Friday 11 January 2008 10:18:32 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 11 January 2008 4:22:42 pm Gene Heskett wrote:

> > >I just installed KDE 4. First impression: Very nice! The looks of it are
> > > so much more crisper and the colors are beautiful.
> >
> > What is the new email agent called, I see no mention of kmail in the 4.0
> > propaganda as yet.
>
> I'm still using Kontact. So I'm not sure.

KDEPIM apps did not make the 4.0 release.

Mike