Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
"Eduardo P. Román O."

Default KDE 4.0.0!

El Friday 11 January 2008 13:10:01 Chris Gow escribió:
> On Friday 11 January 2008 08:13:50 Eduardo P. Román O. wrote:
> > Sorry
> > The package I can't install is kde4-core
>
> Can you double check that you have
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main
>
> in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> ?
When I selected with adept, this sayd broken ......

--
Saludos Cordiales

Eduardo P. Román O.
Ingeniero en informática
User #298254 http://counter.li.org.
Epro Software

CONFIDENCIALIDAD: La información contenida en este mensaje y/o en los archivos
adjuntos es de carácter confidencial o privilegiada y está destinada al uso
exclusivo del emisor y/o de la persona o entidad a quien va dirigida. Si
usted no es el destinatario, cualquier almacenamiento, divulgación,
distribución o copia de esta información está estrictamente prohibido y
sancionado por la ley. Si recibió este mensaje por error, por favor
infórmenos inmediatamente respondiendo este mismo mensaje y borre todos los
archivos adjuntos. Gracias.
CONFIDENTIAL NOTE: The information transmitted in this message and/or
attachments is confidential and/or privileged and is intented only for use of
the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, any retention,dissemination, distribution or copy of this
information is strictly prohibited and sanctioned by law. If you received
this messagge in error, please reply us this same message and delete this
message and all attachments. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Chris Gow

On Friday 11 January 2008 10:38:32 Martin Walshe wrote:
> I cant seem to make any changes to the panel for some reason.
> Any plasmoids i add to it i cannot move. At the moment everything is lumped
> down the bottom left which is no place for the nice new clock!
> Is there anyway to move these on the panel?
> Also i have somehow managed to remove the currently open programs from the
> panel. Is there anyway to get this back is driving me mad not having it
> there! (can still alt tab between programs fine)
>
> Martin.

IIRC, in 4.0.0 the panel is not resizable, I also don't think you can move
anything either.

Regarding your open programs missing, I /think/ you want the Task Manager
widget, to add it to the panel, right-click on the desktop select Add
Widgets, look for the Task Manager widget, drag the widget onto the panel.
Same goes for any other widget. You can not currently drag a widget from the
desktop and place it on the panel though (same goes the other way).

If that doesn't work for you, if you log out and delete ~/.kde4 and relogin,
you'll get a fresh desktop.

hth

-- chris

Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM
JuanCarlos

and just checking further,

have you done

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

after modifying the sources.list??

i have just done it and had no problem at all.....

Eduardo P. Román O. wrote:

El Friday 11 January 2008 13:10:01 Chris Gow escribió:

On Friday 11 January 2008 08:13:50 Eduardo P. Román O. wrote:

Sorry
The package I can't install is kde4-core

Can you double check that you have

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main

in /etc/apt/sources.list

?

it's the same

Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Billie Walsh

Updater popped up this morning with a whole long list of KDE 4.*.*
updates. I said "a'right, go'head". It did it's thing and now when I
look to see what version I still get KDE 3.5.8.

Just seems odd to me that it supposedly installed a whole bunch of KDE 4
stuff and doesn't show up.

There were no error messages of any kind. The "update" supposedly went
off without a hitch.

- -

Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
"Martin Walshe"

On Jan 11, 2008 4:17 PM, Chris Gow <sniffy@rogers.com> wrote:

IIRC, in 4.0.0 the panel is not resizable, I also don't think you can move
anything either.

Regarding your open programs missing, I /think/ you want the Task Manager
widget, to add it to the panel, right-click on the desktop select Add

Widgets, look for the Task Manager widget, drag the widget onto the panel.
Same goes for any other widget. You can not currently drag a widget from the
desktop and place it on the panel though (same goes the other way).

If that doesn't work for you, if you log out and delete ~/.kde4 and relogin,
you'll get a fresh desktop.

Many thanks Chris,
Had completely missed the task manager widget. Is fine now after putting that back on the bar.

Guess i will have to live with not being able to move my clock etc on the panel. Will have to get used to looking down the bottom left instead of right for awhile

Marty

Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Billie Walsh

Billie Walsh wrote:
> Updater popped up this morning with a whole long list of KDE 4.*.*
> updates. I said "a'right, go'head". It did it's thing and now when I
> look to see what version I still get KDE 3.5.8.
>
> Just seems odd to me that it supposedly installed a whole bunch of KDE 4
> stuff and doesn't show up.
>
> There were no error messages of any kind. The "update" supposedly went
> off without a hitch.

Reply to myself. This can't be good.

Never mind, figured it out.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Chris Gow

On Friday 11 January 2008 09:34:09 Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Please report back with installation issues and usage problems. I've
> very excited, but I cannot play russian rulette with my laptop.

Works ok for me. I've been following the development of 4.0.0 pretty closely,
so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect user experience-wise. That
said, here's what I've discovered so far:

The Bad:

- I can not distinguish between active and inactive windows in 4.0.0. The
Oxygen theme uses grey (and it appears to be the same grey) for both active
and inactive window title bars. Now, this might be ok if you have compositing
turned on (so you can enable fading/shadows etc..) but my laptop doesn't have
hardware acceleration.

- System Settings allows me to select compositing even though I'm pretty sure
it knows that my X is not capable of doing it (I need to remember how to
disable KDE options)

- There are a lot less plasmoids/widgets than I expected. Dunno if it is
packaging releated (perhaps not built yet) or KDE decided to strip some out.
For example there is no:
- Way to change the Analog Clock to that old bedside table analog clock (the
ones where the numbers flipped around)
- No weather applet
- No picture applet
- Notes/twitter applet

Some of these I've seen just on developer videos, others I had seen in the
betas.

The Good:

- You can run 3.5.x apps alongside 4.0.0 apps, which is what I am doing with
kontact. There doesn't seem to be any problems with that. You get a
separate .kde4 directory so your mails and any 3.5 apps won't get corrupted.

- I really like the new menu system. The search bar at the top makes it really
easy to find apps that I know I want: I just type in the app name and the
menu filters down to the applications that match. This is kind of humorous
considering the KDE Program Naming Convention thread.

- It seems faster. Application launching is about the same, but when an app is
up the applciation seems more responsive

- The UI is pretty slick, the menu (did I mention the menu) is much easier to
work with than the one in 3.5 (I have a 3.5 environment on another PC and its
annoying to go through the menu there

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it so far. I've been running 4.0 for most of
this week and was anxiously awaiting the 'official' announcement. I really
can not wait to see what comes for 4.1

-- chris

Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
"Martin Walshe"

On Jan 11, 2008 4:31 PM, Martin Walshe <plasticman3327@gmail.com> wrote:

Guess i will have to live with not being able to move my clock etc on the panel. Will have to get used to looking down the bottom left instead of right for awhile

Marty

Ok found a way to hack around this in the mean time.
After adding enough widgets to the panel they will default to going to the right hand side of the screen. Can then add what you want eg clock and pager. Previous widgets which have been added as padding to take up space can then be removed and the others will stay in place.

Marty.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 11/01/2008, Martin Walshe <plasticman3327@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 4:31 PM, Martin Walshe <plasticman3327@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Guess i will have to live with not being able to move my clock etc on the
> panel. Will have to get used to looking down the bottom left instead of
> right for awhile
> >
> > Marty
> >
> Ok found a way to hack around this in the mean time.
> After adding enough widgets to the panel they will default to going to the
> right hand side of the screen. Can then add what you want eg clock and
> pager. Previous widgets which have been added as padding to take up space
> can then be removed and the others will stay in place.
>
> Marty.

File it and post the bug # here.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
"Martin Walshe"