Old 01-17-2008, 02:51 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

Default KDE 4.0.0!

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 09:37:25 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 17/01/2008, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So Let me ask ya'
> > All the things folks are complaining about in KDE 4 in Gutsy, are they
> > as "non-functional" in Hardy?
> > a. can't resize Panels (where the Kmenu is if its not called a
> > "panel" any more).
> > b. Can't select multiple objects on the desktop without moving
> > the background.
> > c. unstable.
> > d. can't alter widgets (?) from plasma.
> > e. can't configure Mouse buttons (like for a lefty or just to
> > alter what the 3rd button does).
> > f. can't run Pidgin.
> >
> > My main concern is running Gnome apps generally, as Pidgin and Gnucash
> > are quite important around here.
>
> Those are KDE 4.0 issues, not Ubuntu issues. And _not_ KDE4 issues
> (KDE 4.0 is not KDE4).

Uh, right.

That doesn't answer my question. I'm assuming that if his experience
was "pleasurable" then some of those issues were KDE 4.0 on gutsy issues, or
running as a side desktop issue, or something. Either way, if they are not
problems on Hardy, then there's hope.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Troy Lenze

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 21:51 -0600, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2008 09:37:25 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 17/01/2008, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So Let me ask ya'
> > > All the things folks are complaining about in KDE 4 in Gutsy, are they
> > > as "non-functional" in Hardy?
> > > a. can't resize Panels (where the Kmenu is if its not called a
> > > "panel" any more).
> > > b. Can't select multiple objects on the desktop without moving
> > > the background.
> > > c. unstable.
> > > d. can't alter widgets (?) from plasma.
> > > e. can't configure Mouse buttons (like for a lefty or just to
> > > alter what the 3rd button does).
> > > f. can't run Pidgin.
> > >
> > > My main concern is running Gnome apps generally, as Pidgin and Gnucash
> > > are quite important around here.
> >
> > Those are KDE 4.0 issues, not Ubuntu issues. And _not_ KDE4 issues
> > (KDE 4.0 is not KDE4).
> >

> Uh, right.
>
> That doesn't answer my question. I'm assuming that if his experience
> was "pleasurable" then some of those issues were KDE 4.0 on gutsy issues, or
> running as a side desktop issue, or something. Either way, if they are not
> problems on Hardy, then there's hope.

I'm having KDE 4.0 problems on Hardy, but I'm also on an older machine.
I figure they have three months to fix things up, so I'll continue to
use GNOME and visit KDE 4.0 when I see a big bunch of updates go
through.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Girard Henri

i don't complain about kde4,sure they is some nuisance but like kde3
gnome apps work fine on kde4
i use pidgin firefox thunderbird
both on 32 and 64 thouh 32 updating seams to be more often

Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Wulfy

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> (KDE 4.0 is not KDE4).

Several times I've heard this now so I have a question (not just to
Dotan, who is only quoting what the KDE Developers said). If KDE 4.0 is
not KDE4, what is it? It's not KDE3...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
"O. Sinclair"

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/

Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Wulfy

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Wulfy wrote:
>
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> (KDE 4.0 is not KDE4).
>>>
>> Several times I've heard this now so I have a question (not just to
>> Dotan, who is only quoting what the KDE Developers said). If KDE 4.0 is
>> not KDE4, what is it? It's not KDE3...
>>

> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/

<quote>KDE 4.0 is not KDE4 but only the first (4.0.0 even non-bugfix)
release in a years-long KDE 4 series to come.</quote>

This, as it stands, is a contradiction. If they'd said "KDE 4.0 is not
what KDE4 will become", that would be true. But if KDE 4.0 is not KDE4,
it can't be the first release of KDE4, it's some other beast... or is
my logic flawed in some way?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Billie Walsh

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Wulfy wrote:
>
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> (KDE 4.0 is not KDE4).
>>>
>> Several times I've heard this now so I have a question (not just to
>> Dotan, who is only quoting what the KDE Developers said). If KDE 4.0 is
>> not KDE4, what is it? It's not KDE3...
>>

> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/

Now THAT is some real hare splitting. [ As Bugs Bunny would say ]

Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Billie Walsh

Wulfy wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Wulfy wrote:

>>> Several times I've heard this now so I have a question (not just to
>>> Dotan, who is only quoting what the KDE Developers said). If KDE 4.0 is
>>> not KDE4, what is it? It's not KDE3...
>>>

>> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/
>>

> <quote>KDE 4.0 is not KDE4 but only the first (4.0.0 even non-bugfix)
> release in a years-long KDE 4 series to come.</quote>
>
> This, as it stands, is a contradiction. If they'd said "KDE 4.0 is not
> what KDE4 will become", that would be true. But if KDE 4.0 is not KDE4,
> it can't be the first release of KDE4, it's some other beast... or is
> my logic flawed in some way?

No. Your logic is fine. Stephen Binner should be a politician. He has
"double-speak" down to a fine art.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Terence Simpson

Wulfy wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> (KDE 4.0 is not KDE4).
>>

> Several times I've heard this now so I have a question (not just to
> Dotan, who is only quoting what the KDE Developers said). If KDE 4.0 is
> not KDE4, what is it? It's not KDE3...

Basically "KDE4" is the names given to the whole series starting with
4.0.0, in the same way the "KDE 3.5.8" isn't "KDE3", but it is a part of
the "KDE3" series.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Wulfy

Terence Simpson wrote:
> Wulfy wrote:
>
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>

>>> (KDE 4.0 is not KDE4).
>>>

>> Several times I've heard this now so I have a question (not just to
>> Dotan, who is only quoting what the KDE Developers said). If KDE 4.0 is
>> not KDE4, what is it? It's not KDE3...
>>

> Basically "KDE4" is the names given to the whole series starting with
> 4.0.0, in the same way the "KDE 3.5.8" isn't "KDE3", but it is a part of
> the "KDE3" series.

By synecdoche[0], KDE 4.0 *is* KDE4... to say it's not KDE4 implies it's
not even *part* of KDE4, which is patently false...

[0] syn·ec·do·che
–noun Rhetoric. a figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole
or the whole for a part