Old 01-16-2008, 02:33 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

Default KDE 4.0.0!

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 05:01:10 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 16/01/2008, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And as I have pointed out in another thread I, and many others, think
> > you are doing it the wrong way round. Keep 3.5 as the base package and
> > KDE4 as a bleeding-edge add-on. As it is - even according to the main
> > developers "KDE 4.0.0 is not KDE4"
> > http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/
>
> Exactly. Then you have Kubuntu as a stable, feature-rich operating
> system with optional bleeding edge components.
>
> If Kubuntu should be a bleeding-edge distro (as is now planned) then
> it is not suitable for everyday use. I replace Windows XP (usually
> cracked) on about three or four machines a month for other students in
> my university. As Kubuntu is their first impression of Linux, I must
> ensure that it is a good impression. I'll probably stick with Feisty
> until I land a new distro, though. Any suggestions for a KDE based
> distro that is easy for noobs?
>
> Dotan Cohen

Sheesh,

While I agree I'm not throwin the towell in so quick. I'll continue to convert
ppl using kubuntu and 3.5.8, and continue to work with 4.0.0 on my laptop,
wihich is my main machine that I DO get all my work done on!.

Mike

Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Girard Henri

you are badly mistaken
I even use cooker which is the unstable bleding edge
But you have to set easyurpmi to get all packages ...

Howard Coles Jr. a crit :

Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Derek Broughton

Terence Simpson wrote:

> WANSTALL Malcolm wrote:
>>
>> It has already been explained at least once in this thread...and it made
>> complete logical sense. If you extrapolate it out, it certainly seems
>> that KDE4 _was_ the factor that ruled out the LTS...it's the only
>> logical answer.
>>
> KDE4 being in existence yes, Kubuntu choosing it for release no, that
> was after we were informed we weren't going to be LTS.

Sorry, I thought that was what I was saying. The mere fact of KDE4 being
around puts canonical into a difficult situation re support. I don't see
that they had an option.
--
derek

Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Derek Broughton

John DeCarlo wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008 4:21 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>

>> No. Just plain no. I _always_ use IE on Windows for all my file
>> browsing.
>>

> Believe what you want, then.

Believe? You are the one who is acting on faith. I use IE as a file
manager - it has all the things you claim don't exist.
--
derek

Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 11:33:30 am Girard Henri wrote:
> you are badly mistaken
> I even use cooker which is the unstable bleding edge
> But you have to set easyurpmi to get all packages ...
>
> Howard Coles Jr. a crit :
> > On Wednesday 16 January 2008 05:56:15 am Girard Henri wrote:
> >> mandriva I think that's the easiest one
> >> Though i use kubuntu, mandrake has been many years my favorite distro
> >> you can get easyurpmi.org repos for enlarging your rpms
> >>
> >> Dotan Cohen a crit :

> > The only problem there (Mandriva wise) is that you have to pay for the
> > updates. Unless I'm badly mistaken.

Thanks for the update there, and for free. :-D.

I haven't played with Mandriva at all, and its been a couple of years since I
played with Mandrake. Other than PCLinuxOS which I believe is spun off from
Mandriva, I've basically stuck with Kubuntu.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Girard Henri

I used Mandrake and Mandriva for years ... first up to 10 I think
Then I couldn't install it till mandriva "one"
my pc was too old... And I don't like their politic but as we can get
soft in cooker or with easyurpmi there is no problem
I tried mainy distros around different flavors and all quiete good
I stick to kubuntu because it has all in one
And hardy with kde4 is really a pleasure...
I didn't even install kde3 neither qt3 as I start with qt4...

Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Valter Mura

Il marted 15 gennaio 2008 22:21:42 Derek Broughton ha scritto:
> John DeCarlo wrote:
> > While it is true that you can use the file:/// approach in any web
> > browser for file browsing, IE has never been able to do any sort of file
> > management. No moving of files, no deleting of files, etc.
> >
> > That capability has always been separate, whether in File Manager or
> > Windows Explorer.
> >
> > In other words, the two capabilities have *never* been joined together in
> > the Windows OS, as I said.
>
> No. Just plain no. I _always_ use IE on Windows for all my file browsing.
> Not file:///, just C:.... It's got moving, it's got deleting, it's got
> dragondrop. Under the hood, possibly it really does invoke a different
> program, but as far as the user can see, it's one program. Like Konqueror.

[OT] Have you ever tried FreeCommander? Free, fast and full of options...

--
Valter
Gnupg key: 0x9A058949 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com

Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 PM
"Chris Miller"

On Jan 16, 2008 9:59 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> John DeCarlo wrote:
>
> > On Jan 15, 2008 4:21 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> >

> >> No. Just plain no. I _always_ use IE on Windows for all my file
> >> browsing.
> >>

> > Believe what you want, then.
>
> Believe? You are the one who is acting on faith. I use IE as a file
> manager - it has all the things you claim don't exist.

Technically you use Explorer. **Internet** Explorer is something
totally different.

You can use IE as a file manager, but it usually just opens Explorer
in a new window, or at least that's what it's doing now on the public
terminal I'm using at the moment.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman

Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 03:21:31 pm Girard Henri wrote:
> I used Mandrake and Mandriva for years ... first up to 10 I think
<snip>
> And hardy with kde4 is really a pleasure...
> I didn't even install kde3 neither qt3 as I start with qt4...

So Let me ask ya'
All the things folks are complaining about in KDE 4 in Gutsy, are they
as "non-functional" in Hardy?
a. can't resize Panels (where the Kmenu is if its not called a "panel" any
more).
b. Can't select multiple objects on the desktop without moving the
background.
c. unstable.
d. can't alter widgets (?) from plasma.
e. can't configure Mouse buttons (like for a lefty or just to alter what the
3rd button does).
f. can't run Pidgin.

My main concern is running Gnome apps generally, as Pidgin and Gnucash are
quite important around here.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 17/01/2008, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj@gmail.com> wrote:
> So Let me ask ya'
> All the things folks are complaining about in KDE 4 in Gutsy, are they
> as "non-functional" in Hardy?
> a. can't resize Panels (where the Kmenu is if its not called a "panel" any
> more).
> b. Can't select multiple objects on the desktop without moving the
> background.
> c. unstable.
> d. can't alter widgets (?) from plasma.
> e. can't configure Mouse buttons (like for a lefty or just to alter what the
> 3rd button does).
> f. can't run Pidgin.
>
> My main concern is running Gnome apps generally, as Pidgin and Gnucash are
> quite important around here.

Those are KDE 4.0 issues, not Ubuntu issues. And _not_ KDE4 issues
(KDE 4.0 is not KDE4).

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il