Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Terence Simpson

Default KDE 4.0.0!

WANSTALL Malcolm wrote:
> Terence Simpson wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>>> Richard A. Johnson wrote:
>>>

> <<SNIP>>

>>> Of course it was.
>>>

>> An explanation of that last statement would be appreciated Derek.
>>

> It has already been explained at least once in this thread...and it made
> complete logical sense. If you extrapolate it out, it certainly seems
> that KDE4 _was_ the factor that ruled out the LTS...it's the only
> logical answer.
>
> -Mal

KDE4 being in existence yes, Kubuntu choosing it for release no, that
was after we were informed we weren't going to be LTS.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:56 AM
Terence Simpson

David McGlone wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 8:42:10 am Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Terence Simpson wrote:

>>> To answer your questions:
>>> 1) No
>>> 2) No
>>> 3) Didn't say it wasn't
>>> 4) There is no Konqueror KPart for file managing, only the Dolplin KPart.
>>>
>>> I hope that answered all of those queries.
>>>

> I didn't receive this reply, unless I accidentally deleted it. Anway yes you
> answered them just fine. :-)
>
> <snip>
>
>> Yes, David is being a little rude,
>>

> I'm sorry about this. I wasn't trying to sound rude. I was actually laughing
> when I replied.
>

>> but you seem to be
>> intentionally telling us all to just "live with it", and it's no surprise
>> if it rubs us the wrong way.
>>
>> #3 was not strictly said, but you certainly implied it. #4 is completely
>> irrelevant - Konqueror has a file manager kpart, and what it's called
>> doesn't matter a bit to the users. It _would_ have made much more sense to
>> users if both Dolphin and Konqueror had continued to use the same kpart.
>> To cripple konqueror by giving it only _some_ of Dolphin's features, and
>> not even giving Dolphin all the features Konqueror used to have is going to
>> hurt some users and annoy far more.
>>

> This was what I was trying to get around to, but I couldn't stop laughing at
> Terence's post where, from what I can tell, sincerely believes konqueror has
> been derived from dolphin. Or at least that's how I understood his post.

Show me the sentence that says that?
All I said was that Konqueror used the Dolphon KPart in KDE4, how did
you get "Konqueror has never been a file manager and Dolphin is older
than konqueror" from that??

Really, that's a sincere question. How did you get to "from what I can
tell, sincerely believes konqueror has been derived from dolphin." ?

On another note, I'm so glad you can be respectful on mailing lists and
not say things like "I couldn't stop laughing at....
Oh, wait, forget that last part.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:43 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Terence Simpson wrote:
> WANSTALL Malcolm wrote:
>> Terence Simpson wrote:

>> <<SNIP>>

>>> An explanation of that last statement would be appreciated Derek.
>>>
>> It has already been explained at least once in this thread...and it made
>> complete logical sense. If you extrapolate it out, it certainly seems
>> that KDE4 _was_ the factor that ruled out the LTS...it's the only
>> logical answer.
>>
>> -Mal
>>

> KDE4 being in existence yes, Kubuntu choosing it for release no, that
> was after we were informed we weren't going to be LTS.

And as I have pointed out in another thread I, and many others, think
you are doing it the wrong way round. Keep 3.5 as the base package and
KDE4 as a bleeding-edge add-on. As it is - even according to the main
developers "KDE 4.0.0 is not KDE4"
http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/

Sinclair

Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 16/01/2008, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> And as I have pointed out in another thread I, and many others, think
> you are doing it the wrong way round. Keep 3.5 as the base package and
> KDE4 as a bleeding-edge add-on. As it is - even according to the main
> developers "KDE 4.0.0 is not KDE4"
> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/

Exactly. Then you have Kubuntu as a stable, feature-rich operating
system with optional bleeding edge components.

If Kubuntu should be a bleeding-edge distro (as is now planned) then
it is not suitable for everyday use. I replace Windows XP (usually
cracked) on about three or four machines a month for other students in
my university. As Kubuntu is their first impression of Linux, I must
ensure that it is a good impression. I'll probably stick with Feisty
until I land a new distro, though. Any suggestions for a KDE based
distro that is easy for noobs?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Graham

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:01:10 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any suggestions for a KDE based
> distro that is easy for noobs?

Try Mepis. It uses KDE and once used the ubuntu repositories but in
Mepis 7.0 changed to using the Debian repositories.

For older architecture, they've got a cut down version called antiX

--

Graham Todd

Old 01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Girard Henri

mandriva I think that's the easiest one
Though i use kubuntu, mandrake has been many years my favorite distro
you can get easyurpmi.org repos for enlarging your rpms

Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 16/01/2008, Graham <grahamtodd2@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:01:10 +0200
> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions for a KDE based
> > distro that is easy for noobs?
>
> Try Mepis. It uses KDE and once used the ubuntu repositories but in
> Mepis 7.0 changed to using the Debian repositories.
>
> For older architecture, they've got a cut down version called antiX

Thank you, I'll take a look at Mepis. I'd once heard good things about
that distro.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 10:56:06 pm Terence Simpson wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:

> > I didn't receive this reply, unless I accidentally deleted it. Anway yes
> > you answered them just fine. :-)
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> Yes, David is being a little rude,
> >
> > I'm sorry about this. I wasn't trying to sound rude. I was actually
> > laughing when I replied.
> >
> >> but you seem to be
> >> intentionally telling us all to just "live with it", and it's no
> >> surprise if it rubs us the wrong way.
> >>
> >> #3 was not strictly said, but you certainly implied it. #4 is
> >> completely irrelevant - Konqueror has a file manager kpart, and what
> >> it's called doesn't matter a bit to the users. It _would_ have made
> >> much more sense to users if both Dolphin and Konqueror had continued to
> >> use the same kpart. To cripple konqueror by giving it only _some_ of
> >> Dolphin's features, and not even giving Dolphin all the features
> >> Konqueror used to have is going to hurt some users and annoy far more.
> >
> > This was what I was trying to get around to, but I couldn't stop laughing
> > at Terence's post where, from what I can tell, sincerely believes
> > konqueror has been derived from dolphin. Or at least that's how I
> > understood his post.
>
> Show me the sentence that says that?

<quote>"Did you expect the Web Browser to have all the features of a file
manager?"</quote>

This sentence to me, makes me wonder if you ever knew that konq has always
been a file manager. And the reason I laughed is because you said it with
such confidence. That is why I asked if you were new to linux or kde.

> All I said was that Konqueror used the Dolphon KPart in KDE4, how did
> you get "Konqueror has never been a file manager and Dolphin is older
> than konqueror" from that??
>
> Really, that's a sincere question. How did you get to "from what I can
> tell, sincerely believes konqueror has been derived from dolphin." ?

<quote>"No, Konqueror uses the Dolphin KPart"</quote>

You said this and I couldn't help but wonder, so that's why I asked in my
reply don't you think it would make more sense to take the file browsing
kpart of Konqueror and call it dolphin? In other words, why try to re-invent
the wheel.

> On another note, I'm so glad you can be respectful on mailing lists and
> not say things like "I couldn't stop laughing at....
> Oh, wait, forget that last part.

I'm sorry that you took this the wrong way it wasn't my intention.

--
David M.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Terence Simpson

David McGlone wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 10:56:06 pm Terence Simpson wrote:
>
>> Show me the sentence that says that?
>>

> <quote>"Did you expect the Web Browser to have all the features of a file
> manager?"</quote>
>
> This sentence to me, makes me wonder if you ever knew that konq has always
> been a file manager. And the reason I laughed is because you said it with
> such confidence. That is why I asked if you were new to linux or kde.

I just meant that in KDE4 Konqueror is the default web browser and not
the file manager.

>> All I said was that Konqueror used the Dolphon KPart in KDE4, how did
>> you get "Konqueror has never been a file manager and Dolphin is older
>> than konqueror" from that??
>>
>> Really, that's a sincere question. How did you get to "from what I can
>> tell, sincerely believes konqueror has been derived from dolphin." ?
>>

> <quote>"No, Konqueror uses the Dolphin KPart"</quote>
>
> You said this and I couldn't help but wonder, so that's why I asked in my
> reply don't you think it would make more sense to take the file browsing
> kpart of Konqueror and call it dolphin? In other words, why try to re-invent
> the wheel.

Personally, I do, but I didn't have a part in the decision making
process in KDE there.

>> On another note, I'm so glad you can be respectful on mailing lists and
>> not say things like "I couldn't stop laughing at....
>> Oh, wait, forget that last part.
>>

> I'm sorry that you took this the wrong way it wasn't my intention.

Well, I'm glad we have it cleared up now

Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 05:56:15 am Girard Henri wrote:
> mandriva I think that's the easiest one
> Though i use kubuntu, mandrake has been many years my favorite distro
> you can get easyurpmi.org repos for enlarging your rpms
>
> Dotan Cohen a crit :
> > On 16/01/2008, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> And as I have pointed out in another thread I, and many others, think
> >> you are doing it the wrong way round. Keep 3.5 as the base package and
> >> KDE4 as a bleeding-edge add-on. As it is - even according to the main
> >> developers "KDE 4.0.0 is not KDE4"
> >> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-12-30/
> >
> > Exactly. Then you have Kubuntu as a stable, feature-rich operating
> > system with optional bleeding edge components.
> >
> > If Kubuntu should be a bleeding-edge distro (as is now planned) then
> > it is not suitable for everyday use. I replace Windows XP (usually
> > cracked) on about three or four machines a month for other students in
> > my university. As Kubuntu is their first impression of Linux, I must
> > ensure that it is a good impression. I'll probably stick with Feisty
> > until I land a new distro, though. Any suggestions for a KDE based
> > distro that is easy for noobs?

The only problem there (Mandriva wise) is that you have to pay for the
updates. Unless I'm badly mistaken.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.