Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Fred Schaer

Default KDE 4.0.0!

Dotan Cohen a écrit :
> On 12/01/2008, Terence Simpson <stdin@stdin.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> For those of you complaining that KDE4 is buggy etc. May I point you
>> towards:
>> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3174
>>
>> Terence
>>

> That is very important, and should be much more prominent. Like, on
> the download page!

I agree...

I did not expect to move directly to KDE 4.0 - I was just testing- , but
I intend to report what I find not working, so that the soft can improve
more quickly... and so that I can jump soon

Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 13/01/2008, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> On 01/13/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Probably because Microsoft separated Internet Explorer from Windows
> > Explorer. Got to follow the leader, you know!
>
> Actually Windows Explorer replaced File Manager. I don't believe it was
> ever "part" of Internet Explorer. Up through ME you could still use File
> Manager if you chose. The file manager in Wine is styled after File Manager.

They may not have shared an executable, but one could type a url into
Windows Explorer and surf, or type a local path into Internet Explorer
and browse. IE7 and IE7+ have changed that.

> Now, back to KDE 4.0.0
>
> From reading the list I think I will wait a bit before jumping on the
> band wagon. I was sorely tempted at first, having heard all the
> wonderful pre-release stuff. But anyway................
>
> As for Dolphin, well............, to be truthful I kind of like it. OK,
> OK, I know it's not perfect. There are things I would like to be
> different. BUT, as I have made an effort to use it whenever possible and
> learn it's funny little quirks, I find it pretty usable. I'm sure it
> will evolve into a favorite if given the chance.

As I trust the KDE devs, I'm assuming also that this will be the case.

> KDE/Konqueror. Well, I suppose I've ever only used a "3" release so I
> can't really say which is better or worse. However, My better half says
> I'm anal. When I do something I take great pains to get it RIGHT. From
> what I see on this, and other lists, "I" would not have released KDE4 as
> a "release" maybe an "rc". I think there are just to many things that
> aren't completed yet.

The problem is, that the testers pool was saturated. Nobody new was
installing the RCs, so no bugs were being found. Now that the
installation base is widening, and the usage patterns are more
diverse, more bugs are being discovered. This is rather typical of
point-o releases in my experience. Did nobody here install Firefox
2.0.0.0? Open Office 2.0? Windows Vista?

> Can any of the developers, and I DO appreciate all their hard work [ God
> knows I can't do it so I can appreciate those that do ], Actually point
> to KDE4.0.0 and say with REAL PRIDE and sense of ACCOMPLISHMENT, "I did
> that." Would they want a HUGE billboard erected with their picture and
> the words, "I helped build KDE4.0.0!"
>
> OK, I'll shut up now and go back to lurking on this thread.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Billie Walsh

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 13/01/2008, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> On 01/13/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Probably because Microsoft separated Internet Explorer from Windows
>>> Explorer. Got to follow the leader, you know!
>>>
>> Actually Windows Explorer replaced File Manager. I don't believe it was
>> ever "part" of Internet Explorer. Up through ME you could still use File
>> Manager if you chose. The file manager in Wine is styled after File Manager.
>>

> They may not have shared an executable, but one could type a url into
> Windows Explorer and surf, or type a local path into Internet Explorer
> and browse. IE7 and IE7+ have changed that.

I never tried to put a web address into Windows Explorer. Just never
occurred to me to do that.

> <snip>
>
> </snip>
>> KDE/Konqueror. Well, I suppose I've ever only used a "3" release so I
>> can't really say which is better or worse. However, My better half says
>> I'm anal. When I do something I take great pains to get it RIGHT. From
>> what I see on this, and other lists, "I" would not have released KDE4 as
>> a "release" maybe an "rc". I think there are just to many things that
>> aren't completed yet.
>>

> The problem is, that the testers pool was saturated. Nobody new was
> installing the RCs, so no bugs were being found. Now that the
> installation base is widening, and the usage patterns are more
> diverse, more bugs are being discovered. This is rather typical of
> point-o releases in my experience. Did nobody here install Firefox
> 2.0.0.0? Open Office 2.0? Windows Vista?

I can totally understand that. The beta/rc testing pool would be limited
in equipment and usage. They probably didn't hammer it in ways that
everyday users will.

Firefox 2.0.0 came and went with very little fan fair as far as I was
concerned. There were a couple minor annoyances but I just ignored them
and went on. OOo I use very little so probably wouldn't have noticed any
problem with it either. Vista, well...........I did install it for about
three days. Played with it VERY sparingly. Then dumped it into the trash
where it belongs.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
nepal

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
> > They may not have shared an executable, but one could
> > type a url into Windows Explorer and surf, or type a
> > local path into Internet Explorer and browse. IE7 and
> > IE7+ have changed that.
> > *

wasn't that the whole point of M$s idea of the integrated
desktop so that one could do both file opertions and
browsing via a single interface.

nepal.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Note: I love KDE and I'm rather dedicated to the software. However, I
> see many arbitrary decisions, such as this one, that seem to follow
> similar arbitrary decisions from MS. Guess how I feel about that?

Can't disagree with that principle. My first reaction to KDE4 was "Oh look,
they're copying Windows Vista, with the little clock and everything."
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-13-2008, 10:35 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Terence Simpson wrote:

> Exactly.

It sounds like it's probably true. I don't really care so much about
graphical file managers anyway, but when Kubuntu got "Dolphin" I did ditch it
immediately, like after less than 30 seconds. Barf.

But it sounds like the real Dolphin really shouldn't be that lame:

http://dot.kde.org/1172721427/

(I'm not planning to let KDE4 off of its live CD anytime soon though. I have
other irons in the fire, and don't have time to fool with that right now.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
"Chris Miller"

On Jan 13, 2008 3:22 PM, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > Note: I love KDE and I'm rather dedicated to the software. However, I
> > see many arbitrary decisions, such as this one, that seem to follow
> > similar arbitrary decisions from MS. Guess how I feel about that?
>
> Can't disagree with that principle. My first reaction to KDE4 was "Oh look,
> they're copying Windows Vista, with the little clock and everything."

How is the clock Vista-specific? I saw that in a ton of places long
before Vista. gkrellem and similar applications (dekoration IIRC) had
it long before Longhorn started rearing its ugly head.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman

Old 01-13-2008, 10:52 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Chris Miller wrote:
> How is the clock Vista-specific? I saw that in a ton of places long
> before Vista. gkrellem and similar applications (dekoration IIRC) had
> it long before Longhorn started rearing its ugly head.

They never had a desktop analog clock widget in, what, over a decade of
development. Vista comes up with a desktop analog clock widget, and then so
does KDE? Coincidence?

I doubt it.

I've only looked at both Vista and KDE4 briefly, but my quick impression of
both was that the one seemed to be taking cues from the other.

If this is true, it's not a crime. I'm still a jabbering KDE fanboy zealot
who worships the KDE project, so calm down.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-13-2008, 10:57 PM
"Chris Miller"

On Jan 13, 2008 3:52 PM, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008, Chris Miller wrote:
> > How is the clock Vista-specific? I saw that in a ton of places long
> > before Vista. gkrellem and similar applications (dekoration IIRC) had
> > it long before Longhorn started rearing its ugly head.
>
> They never had a desktop analog clock widget in, what, over a decade of
> development. Vista comes up with a desktop analog clock widget, and then so
> does KDE? Coincidence?

I'm pretty sure deKorator had one.

> I doubt it.

AIGLX/Xgl stole Expose. You're point?

> I've only looked at both Vista and KDE4 briefly, but my quick impression of
> both was that the one seemed to be taking cues from the other.

Gee, they all have mice, cursors, windows, a taskbar, and a button
that pulls up a larger menu of stuff to do.

I'm just waiting for a OSS OS X clone

> If this is true, it's not a crime. I'm still a jabbering KDE fanboy zealot
> who worships the KDE project, so calm down.

According to MS, Linux and all attached/associated projects are a crime.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Chris Miller wrote:

> You're point?

My point is that KDE4 reminds me a lot of Windows Vista, and it doesn't really
matter a rat's ass where the clock came from, does it? The first time I saw
the clock, and the whole concept of putting little widgets on the desktop was
in Windows Vista. The next time I saw the clock, and the whole concept of
putting little widgets on the desktop was in the KDE 4 live CD. Therefore
KDE 4 reminds me a lot of Windows Vista. It doesn't matter if Babbage's
difference engine had a clock widget on its desktop; this is still the
sequence of exposure to the concept I experienced, and that sequence is
totally indisputable. Therefore, KDE4 reminds me a lot of Windows Vista.
There is no possible argument here to counter the assertion that, as I
asserted previously, it appears from my perspective that KDE is following
Microsoft's lead.

That might not be true, and I am not asserting that it is. Merely that is
appears that way from my perspective. Which it does, indisputably.

End of discussion.
--
D. Michael McIntyre