Old 01-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Gene Heskett

Default KDE 4.0.0!

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Graham wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:04:25 +0200
>
>Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I hope they apply some KDE 4 love to Konqy because I don't know if
>> I can live without it.
>
>[snipped]
>
>I can quite easily live without it, but I wished the decision has been
>to use Krusader rather than Dolphin in KDE 4. THAT I can't live
>without.....

I've looked at and installed Krusader. Its a pretty face, with 10% of mc's
abilities. Guess which I run...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Girard Henri

In fact we won't have to wait too long
I just installed "hardy" kubuntu with only kde4
And I am very pleased with it
even compiz-fusion works

Old 01-13-2008, 03:19 PM
"John DeCarlo"

On Jan 13, 2008 9:49 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

On 13/01/2008, nepal <nepal.roade@virgin.net> wrote:
> Who did, and Why? what is the vested interest or is it a
> vendetta?? Who made the decision? does this apply to

> [K]ubuntu only?

Not Kubuntu only, just KDE. * <g>

Probably because Microsoft separated Internet Explorer from Windows
Explorer. Got to follow the leader, you know!
Except that never happened.* They were never joined together.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Terence Simpson

Joe Burgess wrote:
> So wait in the KDE4, is Dolphin the only file manager choice? I was so
> mad when Kubuntu 7.10 changed to Dolphin it is no where near as powerful
> as konqueror, but thankfully in 7.10 I could switch back to konqueror,
> is this possible in KDE 4?
>
> thanks,
> Joe

The reason Gutsy set Dolphin (or actually D3lphin) to the default file
manager was because that's what KDE were doing for version 4, to give
people a chance to adjust. Dolphin is more powerful and featured than
D3lphin, don't judge the one on the other, they are officially different
projects.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Terence Simpson

Edwin Sendjaja wrote:
> I dont see the point here.
> Why should I wait for 4.5.8 for equal standing =P
> Well I hope they release 4.5.8 very soon then.
> This guy is funny strange =P
>
> puih....so desperated to waiting......zzzzzzzzz

Why wait until 4.5.8? well, because the KDE 3.x.x series has has a lot
more time and work put into it, it's not fair to judge the abilities of
of a baby to the abilities of the parent.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Terence Simpson

nepal wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008, Terence Simpson wrote:
>
>> Yes, they stripped the file managing out of Konqueror, it
>> uses parts of Dolphin to manage files.
>>

> Who did, and Why? what is the vested interest or is it a
> vendetta?? Who made the decision? does this apply to
> [K]ubuntu only?

No, the upstream KDE project decided to.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Billie Walsh

On 01/13/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Probably because Microsoft separated Internet Explorer from Windows
> Explorer. Got to follow the leader, you know!

Actually Windows Explorer replaced File Manager. I don't believe it was
ever "part" of Internet Explorer. Up through ME you could still use File
Manager if you chose. The file manager in Wine is styled after File Manager.

Now, back to KDE 4.0.0

From reading the list I think I will wait a bit before jumping on the
band wagon. I was sorely tempted at first, having heard all the
wonderful pre-release stuff. But anyway................

As for Dolphin, well............, to be truthful I kind of like it. OK,
OK, I know it's not perfect. There are things I would like to be
different. BUT, as I have made an effort to use it whenever possible and
learn it's funny little quirks, I find it pretty usable. I'm sure it
will evolve into a favorite if given the chance.

KDE/Konqueror. Well, I suppose I've ever only used a "3" release so I
can't really say which is better or worse. However, My better half says
I'm anal. When I do something I take great pains to get it RIGHT. From
what I see on this, and other lists, "I" would not have released KDE4 as
a "release" maybe an "rc". I think there are just to many things that
aren't completed yet.

Can any of the developers, and I DO appreciate all their hard work [ God
knows I can't do it so I can appreciate those that do ], Actually point
to KDE4.0.0 and say with REAL PRIDE and sense of ACCOMPLISHMENT, "I did
that." Would they want a HUGE billboard erected with their picture and
the words, "I helped build KDE4.0.0!"

OK, I'll shut up now and go back to lurking on this thread.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Clay Weber

On Sunday 13 January 2008 1:15:17 am Terence Simpson wrote:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> >>
> >> If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
> >> you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.
> >
> > I have to disagree here. 4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
> > supposed to be better. KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
> > recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1. We have a long history of
> > expecting better, not "as good". What you are saying sounds like you
> > work for M$.
> >
> > Don't release a desktop just because its time, and expect me to act happy
> > about it if its crap. Sorry, but I've read this thread, and over and
> > over again I'm hearing "can't do this" and "can't do that". Can't
> > resize, no customization, no this, and no that. It has me seriously
> > worried about running it.
>
> KDE 2.0 was not "as good" as KDE1, it wasn't for a while. Neither was
> KDE 3.0 as good as KDE2 for a while.

have to agree here. When KDE 3.0 was rolled out, there were endless problems
and crashes/freezes and more. 3.01 was out about a month and a half later,
with quite a lot of fixes
http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_0to3_0_1.php
and 3.02, 3.03, and so on.

New and missing features were added with many releases even into 3.5x
And also note that 3.0 was at least in part still based on 2.2 code! KDE 4 is
quite different from 3.x code wise, so I am rather impressed that it hasn't
crashed on me yet

I was part of a beta testing team (Lycoris, anyone remember that distro lol?)
when KDE3.0 was released, and so far , though I am sure it is due to time and
familiarity, this is going much smoother imo. And NOT releasing kdepim yet is
wise, as kmail at least was terribly buggy back then.

One thing about the 4.0 release is, compared to the 3.0 is that there are many
many more linux users out there, so there will be many many more ideas,
thoughts, and opinions out there, as you can see by this thread alone
which is A Good Thing.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 01-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Joe Burgess

So the Dolphin (Which is actually D3lphin) that is in 7.10 (KDE 3.5.8)
is not the same as the Dolphin that is in KDE4? Am I correct?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Terence Simpson

Joe Burgess wrote:
> So the Dolphin (Which is actually D3lphin) that is in 7.10 (KDE 3.5.8)
> is not the same as the Dolphin that is in KDE4? Am I correct?

Exactly.