Old 01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
nepal

Default KDE 4.0.0!

On Saturday 12 January 2008, Terence Simpson wrote:
> Yes, they stripped the file managing out of Konqueror, it
> uses parts of Dolphin to manage files.

Who did, and Why? what is the vested interest or is it a
vendetta?? Who made the decision? does this apply to
[K]ubuntu only?

Why has someone deliberately *broken* konqueror in order to
try to force me to use something that I do not and will
never use, i.e. Dolphin.? IMO it is a horrible piece of
crap.

> The point is that it's not a bug, it's like saying "Why
> can't I use Firefox to move a file from one place to
> another", the answer is to use a file manager instead.

That is very patronising, is that what you meant?

> Terence

nepal.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:49 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 13/01/2008, nepal <nepal.roade@virgin.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008, Terence Simpson wrote:
> > Yes, they stripped the file managing out of Konqueror, it
> > uses parts of Dolphin to manage files.
>
> Who did, and Why? what is the vested interest or is it a
> vendetta?? Who made the decision? does this apply to
> [K]ubuntu only?

Probably because Microsoft separated Internet Explorer from Windows
Explorer. Got to follow the leader, you know!

Note: I love KDE and I'm rather dedicated to the software. However, I
see many arbitrary decisions, such as this one, that seem to follow
similar arbitrary decisions from MS. Guess how I feel about that?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Donn

Don't get upset - it will be what it is.

I too hope Konqueror is not cut off at the knees, it's truly the "killer app"
in my opinion. Last I read about it, it was mentioned that it's codebase has
become too old to properly maintain (the horror) and Dolphin just gathered
momentum. I hope they apply some KDE 4 love to Konqy because I don't know if
I can live without it.

# Benford's Law of Controversy: Passion is inversely proportional to the
amount of real information available.

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Donn

> Note: I love KDE and I'm rather dedicated to the software. However, I
> see many arbitrary decisions, such as this one, that seem to follow
> similar arbitrary decisions from MS. Guess how I feel about that?
I also noted that similarity, but it's always seemed a natural one to me. I
find 'browsing' to be an online/offline concept and Konqueror has taken it to
sublime levels. I think it was less "copy MS" and more "this is just obvious"
and I hope it sticks around.

One could also point-out that distro's like Kubuntu come out with an office
suit, a browser, email, news, etc. and are thus as guilty as MS in the
whole "swamp" the competition game, but it's not the same playing field.

All Bibles are man-made.
-- Thomas Edison

Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Jason Straight

On Sunday 13 January 2008 08:42:20 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> As for KDE 3 being very buggy, I don't recall that at all, of course my
> memory has been known to be in beta as well, :-D. *However, I do expect
> software ALL software to have problems, even KDE 3.5.8 has problems.
> *That's not an issue. What I'm beginning to wonder is how much
> participation in Beta the Devs got. If they're thinking everyone thought
> this was gold code, then I wonder if the problem doesn't come back on us as
> a user community. *I say that because I didn't see a whole heck of a lot of
> discussion about what was and what wasn't in KDE 4 feature wise, and what
> did and what didn't work function wise.

Yeah, normally I would have run it and tested it in beta had I been able to
use it more proficiently, but the problem for me was that even as a beta
tester I required it to be more usable than it was at that stage.

So in my opinion there were probably a lot of potential beta testers that were
turned off from running it due to frustration that at the beta stage it was
alpha or pre-alpha quality.

--
| Jason Straight
| http://www.SkyCon.net
| Yahoo: jasonrstraight
| ICQ: 1796276
| MSN: glock21-45cal@hotmail.com
| AIM: JasonRStraight

--- RonPaul2008.com ---

Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Graham

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:04:25 +0200
Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope they apply some KDE 4 love to Konqy because I don't know if
> I can live without it.
[snipped]

I can quite easily live without it, but I wished the decision has been
to use Krusader rather than Dolphin in KDE 4. THAT I can't live
without.....

--

Graham Todd

Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Joe Burgess

well I think the key is that I and many others will just have to wait
for I assume 4.0.1 even. There are just too many bugs, and worst of all
they took out konqueror. I think that KDE4 will be wonderful when the
.0.1 release comes out.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Girard Henri wrote:
>true lol
>But as I am old enaugh i don't want to wait so long

That's my problem too. At 73 & diabetic now, I don't know if I'll survive
till 4.5.8 given the schedule 3 used.

>i started with kde1 in 1996 and you imagine how difficult it was

I think I stated at about 1.3 or so, in '98.

>Terence Simpson a crit :
>> Edwin Sendjaja wrote:
>>> Eduardo, I have the same opinion with you. Well, this version should be
>>> beta version.
>>> I hope they will fix and add some funktions that kde 3.5.8 has already.
>>> Who expect it to be supermega fast and supermega solid. We just want a
>>> better destop than kde3.5.8, which is already super good amd super
>>> solid.
>>
>> If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
>> you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.

:-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

River: "They are. Except they're poison."
--Episode #5, "Safe"

Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 13 January 2008, nepal wrote:
>On Saturday 12 January 2008, Terence Simpson wrote:
>> Yes, they stripped the file managing out of Konqueror, it
>> uses parts of Dolphin to manage files.
>
>Who did, and Why? what is the vested interest or is it a
>vendetta?? Who made the decision? does this apply to
>[K]ubuntu only?
>
>Why has someone deliberately *broken* konqueror in order to
>try to force me to use something that I do not and will
>never use, i.e. Dolphin.? IMO it is a horrible piece of
>crap.

Well, when it comes to file management, it is hard to beat our old standby,
and one of the first things I install after first boot, is mc, aka Midnight
Commander. A pretty face? No, but it Just Works(TM).

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Donn

> I can quite easily live without it, but I wished the decision has been
> to use Krusader rather than Dolphin in KDE 4. THAT I can't live
> without.....
Heathen!

He is a fine friend. He stabs you in the front. -- Leonard Louis Levinson