Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 AM
"Martin Walshe"

Default KDE 4.0.0!

On Jan 13, 2008 6:20 AM, Terence Simpson <stdin@stdin.me.uk> wrote:

Suddenly? no. It's been planned and implemented for a while now.
(You seem to "LOL" for someone who doesn't like what's happening)*Hi
Terence,
Not that i doubt you or anything but do you have any links to where konqueror dev's have stated this just want to read about where they are going with it more.

Marty

Old 01-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Jesus Arocho

I installed KDE 4.0.0, minor install problems but got it done. First problem
is that the virtual size of the screen is larger than the physical size. I
guess I could pan around if I new how. But, does this mean KDE4 is not using
the default xorg.conf, if I switch back to the KDE3 session the screen
returns to normal. Very slow on exit, I can see the system paint the lines
across the screen as it changes the screen.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Jesus Arocho

Ignore this post. I can't believe I had never noticed that my kde 3 behaves
in the same manner!!! After all these years...

Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Jesus Arocho

Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Donn

> Ignore this post. I can't believe I had never noticed that my kde 3
> behaves in the same manner!!! After all these years...
Ha! That takes the cake Did your mouse never bump into the side of the
screen?

When there's an emergency how come we never hear anyone shout "Let me through,
I'm an aromatherapist!"
-- unknown

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Saturday 12 January 2008 11:22:39 pm Jason Straight wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008 23:55:01 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > >
> > > If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
> > > you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.
> >
> > I have to disagree here. 4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
> > supposed to be better. KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
> > recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1. We have a long history of
> > expecting better, not "as good". What you are saying sounds like you
> > work for M$.
> >
> > Don't release a desktop just because its time, and expect me to act happy
> > about it if its crap. Sorry, but I've read this thread, and over and
> > over again I'm hearing "can't do this" and "can't do that". Can't
> > resize, no customization, no this, and no that. It has me seriously
> > worried about running it.
>
> I have to agree here. While I appreciate the effort into KDE4, and I'm sure
> it'll turn out to be a great piece of work (probably quite soon, KDE is
> usually pretty quick with updates) I don't think the current stage of
> KDE4.0 is really something that should be called anything more than beta
> quality.
>
> A final release should be able to run more than 24 hrs w/o crashing, should
> have all it's components (PIM,KDM) up to date and working, and certainly
> should have waited until the most anticipated part of it was more than 2
> months old (plasma), and had it's features in place.
>
> I'm not at all dismayed with the work so far, just that it was rushed to be
> called RC, and gold.

Exactly. I think the quality of it is more important than the timing of it.
Let the Trade rags say what they will, their bashing M$ for being late never
hurt sales. I believe the guys who are working on KDE can and will get it
right.

As for KDE 3 being very buggy, I don't recall that at all, of course my memory
has been known to be in beta as well, :-D. However, I do expect software ALL
software to have problems, even KDE 3.5.8 has problems. That's not an issue.
What I'm beginning to wonder is how much participation in Beta the Devs got.
If they're thinking everyone thought this was gold code, then I wonder if the
problem doesn't come back on us as a user community. I say that because I
didn't see a whole heck of a lot of discussion about what was and what wasn't
in KDE 4 feature wise, and what did and what didn't work function wise.

Even in the KDE user list I don't see very much on it.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:48 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Sunday 13 January 2008 02:28:34 am Girard Henri wrote:
> kde3 wasn't so good at beginning
> more craps than kde4
>
> D. Michael McIntyre a ้crit :
> > On Saturday 12 January 2008, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> >> I have to disagree here. 4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
> >> supposed to be better. KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
> >> recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1. We have a long history of
> >> expecting better, not "as good". What you are saying sounds like you
> >> work for M$.
> >
> > My recollection is that the 3.0 series was just enough of an improvement
> > over 2.2 to make it worth bothering with the buggy upgrade. 3.1 was an
> > incremental improvement, but still plagued with problems, and everything
> > since 3.2 has been an increasingly pointless upgrade.

I can't remember that it was less usable than 2.2. I remember switching to
it, when it was released and having a couple of issues. I think then I was
running RedHat, and getting KDE was difficult already. That was one of the
reasons I switched to SuSE. Of course, everyone's memory and mileage varies
I guess. I may not have strained it very much back then.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Jesus Arocho

On Sunday 13 January 2008 07:28:59 Donn wrote:
> > Ignore this post. I can't believe I had never noticed that my kde 3
> > behaves in the same manner!!! After all these years...
>
> Ha! That takes the cake Did your mouse never bump into the side of the
> screen?

> When there's an emergency how come we never hear anyone shout "Let me
> through, I'm an aromatherapist!"
> -- unknown
>
> Fonty Python and other dev news at:
> http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

That is the beauty of it, of course the mouse bumped against the edge. For
some reason I convinced myself that this was new in kde 4 and spent 1/2 hour
trying to fix it. On the other hand getting icons to the size I want was
more difficult. It was not until I ran adept this morning that the icons
responded to a new size, and then only if I restart the desktop, not when I
click on apply. The panel icons, or whatever the new name is for the strip
at the bottom of the screen, I have not been able to change.

Also, I changed the background to a different picture and when I restarted the
desktop I only got a white screen. Now I have to change the wallpaper every
time I log in, unless I want a white screen.

I am getting use to it and it is promising, but it is buggy. I have one
laptop and four other desktops to change but will not do so until more
stable. I thank all of the programmer involved!!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Joe Burgess

So wait in the KDE4, is Dolphin the only file manager choice? I was so
mad when Kubuntu 7.10 changed to Dolphin it is no where near as powerful
as konqueror, but thankfully in 7.10 I could switch back to konqueror,
is this possible in KDE 4?

thanks,
Joe

Old 01-13-2008, 01:34 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 13/01/2008, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly. I think the quality of it is more important than the timing of it.
> Let the Trade rags say what they will, their bashing M$ for being late never
> hurt sales. I believe the guys who are working on KDE can and will get it
> right.
>
> As for KDE 3 being very buggy, I don't recall that at all, of course my memory
> has been known to be in beta as well, :-D. However, I do expect software ALL
> software to have problems, even KDE 3.5.8 has problems. That's not an issue.
> What I'm beginning to wonder is how much participation in Beta the Devs got.
> If they're thinking everyone thought this was gold code, then I wonder if the
> problem doesn't come back on us as a user community. I say that because I
> didn't see a whole heck of a lot of discussion about what was and what wasn't
> in KDE 4 feature wise, and what did and what didn't work function wise.
>
> Even in the KDE user list I don't see very much on it.

Probably because not enough people used the RC. I, for one, knew from
the begining that I'm waiting for a point-one release.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.