Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Terence Simpson

Default KDE 4.0.0!

David McGlone wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008 6:14:33 pm Terence Simpson wrote:
>
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:

>>> Well, yes, as it originally _was_ a file manager before it was a web
>>> browser. And so far as I've been led to understand (please RTFM me
>>> with information otherwise) Konqueror retains all it's features for
>>> KDE4.
>>>
>>> Dotan Cohen
>>>
>> No, Konqueror uses the Dolphin KPart to use some file managing features.
>> (A KPart is like a plugin, not exactly the same but a decent analogy for
>> this)
>>

> Terence,
>
> first off, let me laugh. LOL I'm sorry man are you new to linux or kde?
> Konqueror has been a file manager since I don't know how long, let me say RH
> 6.1 or somewhere around there. can anyone verify? Anyway I've been using
> konqueror as a file manager for quite a few years I'd say a good 6 or 8 years
> and been using linux for around 10 or 12 years. Also from what I can see, I
> believe you got it backwards, wouldn't it make more sense if dolphin was
> using the konqueror kpart since konqueror has been around as a file manager
> for a long long time. Matter of fact all dolphin is, is a stripped down and
> re-arranged konqueror with a different name. :-)

David,
To answer your questions:
1) No
2) No
3) Didn't say it wasn't
4) There is no Konqueror KPart for file managing, only the Dolplin KPart.

I hope that answered all of those queries.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Terence Simpson

David McGlone wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008 11:19:04 am Terence Simpson wrote:
>
>>> Well I got home a while ago and finally got a chance to look at kde 4, I
>>> have noticed that it is harder to use konq as a file manager, because I
>>> cannot find any way to "show hidden files" in konq. But it's there in
>>> dolphin. Anyone know anything about this?
>>>
>> Well, Dolphin is the file manager and Konqueror is the Web Browser. Did
>> you expect the Web Browser to have all the features of a file manager?
>>

> LOL man that sounds mean considering Konqueror has always had all the features
> of a file manager. I never expected the features to be ripped out so
> suddenly, if at all.

Suddenly? no. It's been planned and implemented for a while now.
(You seem to "LOL" for someone who doesn't like what's happening)

Old 01-13-2008, 05:21 AM
Jason Straight

On Sunday 13 January 2008 01:15:17 Terence Simpson wrote:
> KDE 2.0 was not "as good" as KDE1, it wasn't for a while. Neither was
> KDE 3.0 as good as KDE2 for a while.

Yes, but 2.0->3.0 wasn't a regression in features or usability. Yeah, you
could generally expect more bugs, but they usually weren't showstoppers
either.

KDE4.0 is a different beast, and I'm not talking about the code, but the stage
of usability it is compared to other .0 releases.

The problem isn't the code quality, it's the politics of releasing before
ready that's hurting the image of KDE4.

--
| Jason Straight
| http://www.SkyCon.net
| Yahoo: jasonrstraight
| ICQ: 1796276
| MSN: glock21-45cal@hotmail.com
| AIM: JasonRStraight

--- RonPaul2008.com ---

Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 AM
Donn

> Konqueror still has tabs, view profiles, split views, and all that
> (assuming you meant Konq - Dolphin never had tabs), just a few things not
> wired up right yet
Phew!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Edwin Sendjaja

I dont see the point here.

Why should I wait for 4.5.8 for equal standing =P

Well I hope they release 4.5.8 very soon then.

This guy is funny strange =P

puih....so desperated to waiting......zzzzzzzzz

On So, 2008-01-13 at 03:51 +0000, Terence Simpson wrote:

Edwin Sendjaja wrote:
> Eduardo, I have the same opinion with you. Well, this version should be
> beta version.
> I hope they will fix and add some funktions that kde 3.5.8 has already.
> Who expect it to be supermega fast and supermega solid. We just want a
> better destop than kde3.5.8, which is already super good amd super
> solid.

If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Girard Henri

I don't know what is your configuration but kde4 works fine here...
Some little problem like wallpaper doesn't display but a white screen.
Even no need of compiz because kde4 has these effects.
and it's two double speedy than kde3.5 on my coreduo 64 bits (kubuntu hardy)
I wouldn't say it's good for production but i use it for a month and
it's usuable in daily life

Old 01-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Girard Henri

true lol
But as I am old enaugh i don't want to wait so long
i started with kde1 in 1996 and you imagine how difficult it was

Old 01-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Girard Henri

You are missing a good occasion of open software

Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Girard Henri

kde3 wasn't so good at beginning
more craps than kde4

Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Girard Henri

I guess the 11/1 was an US "marketing" date (11/10) ??
it should have been "ran" on 25/12/ at xchrismas for a more universal
purpose ! lol