Old 01-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Terence Simpson

Default KDE 4.0.0!

Eduardo P. Román O. wrote:
> At last, my experience with 4.0 was and mistake, I go Back wth my Kde 3.5.8
> with compiz, it's the best, KDE 4.0 is slow and inestable, crash with
> frecuency.

It's a .0.0 release, did you expect it to be super fast and rock solid?

Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Edwin Sendjaja

Eduardo, I have the same opinion with you. Well, this version should be beta version.

I hope they will fix and add some funktions that kde 3.5.8 has already.

Who expect it to be supermega fast and supermega solid. We just want a better destop than kde3.5.8, which is already super good amd super solid.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Terence Simpson

Edwin Sendjaja wrote:
> Eduardo, I have the same opinion with you. Well, this version should be
> beta version.
> I hope they will fix and add some funktions that kde 3.5.8 has already.
> Who expect it to be supermega fast and supermega solid. We just want a
> better destop than kde3.5.8, which is already super good amd super
> solid.

If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:54 AM
David McGlone

On Saturday 12 January 2008 9:42:43 am Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
<snip>

> > > KDEPIM apps did not make the 4.0 release.
> >
> > it's from my install of 3.5.8 alongside 4.0.
>
> Sorry, I was unclear, I was replying to the original that there werent any
> 4.0 PIM apps yet. I as well am running the 3.5.8 PIM stuff in 4.0, Though I
> am considering trying th 4.0 betas..

That's cool. No need to be sorry. If you decide to try the betas let us know
your opinions. :-) Hopefully kde 4 will keep the list alive for quite some
time.

--
David M.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:55 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Saturday 12 January 2008 09:51:57 pm Terence Simpson wrote:
> Edwin Sendjaja wrote:
> > Eduardo, I have the same opinion with you. Well, this version should be
> > beta version.
> > I hope they will fix and add some funktions that kde 3.5.8 has already.
> > Who expect it to be supermega fast and supermega solid. We just want a
> > better destop than kde3.5.8, which is already super good amd super
> > solid.
>
> If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
> you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.

I have to disagree here. 4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
supposed to be better. KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1. We have a long history of expecting
better, not "as good". What you are saying sounds like you work for M$.

Don't release a desktop just because its time, and expect me to act happy
about it if its crap. Sorry, but I've read this thread, and over and over
again I'm hearing "can't do this" and "can't do that". Can't resize, no
customization, no this, and no that. It has me seriously worried about
running it.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:58 AM
David McGlone

On Saturday 12 January 2008 11:19:04 am Terence Simpson wrote:
> > Well I got home a while ago and finally got a chance to look at kde 4, I
> > have noticed that it is harder to use konq as a file manager, because I
> > cannot find any way to "show hidden files" in konq. But it's there in
> > dolphin. Anyone know anything about this?
>
> Well, Dolphin is the file manager and Konqueror is the Web Browser. Did
> you expect the Web Browser to have all the features of a file manager?

LOL man that sounds mean considering Konqueror has always had all the features
of a file manager. I never expected the features to be ripped out so
suddenly, if at all.

--
David M.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:05 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 12 January 2008, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> I have to disagree here. 4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
> supposed to be better. KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
> recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1. We have a long history of
> expecting better, not "as good". What you are saying sounds like you work
> for M$.

My recollection is that the 3.0 series was just enough of an improvement over
2.2 to make it worth bothering with the buggy upgrade. 3.1 was an
incremental improvement, but still plagued with problems, and everything
since 3.2 has been an increasingly pointless upgrade.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-13-2008, 04:14 AM
David McGlone

On Saturday 12 January 2008 6:14:33 pm Terence Simpson wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 12/01/2008, Terence Simpson <stdin@stdin.me.uk> wrote:
> >> Well, Dolphin is the file manager and Konqueror is the Web Browser. Did
> >> you expect the Web Browser to have all the features of a file manager?
> >>
> >> Terence
> >
> > Well, yes, as it originally _was_ a file manager before it was a web
> > browser. And so far as I've been led to understand (please RTFM me
> > with information otherwise) Konqueror retains all it's features for
> > KDE4.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> No, Konqueror uses the Dolphin KPart to use some file managing features.
> (A KPart is like a plugin, not exactly the same but a decent analogy for
> this)

Terence,

first off, let me laugh. LOL I'm sorry man are you new to linux or kde?
Konqueror has been a file manager since I don't know how long, let me say RH
6.1 or somewhere around there. can anyone verify? Anyway I've been using
konqueror as a file manager for quite a few years I'd say a good 6 or 8 years
and been using linux for around 10 or 12 years. Also from what I can see, I
believe you got it backwards, wouldn't it make more sense if dolphin was
using the konqueror kpart since konqueror has been around as a file manager
for a long long time. Matter of fact all dolphin is, is a stripped down and
re-arranged konqueror with a different name. :-)

--
David M.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:22 AM
Jason Straight

On Saturday 12 January 2008 23:55:01 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008 09:51:57 pm Terence Simpson wrote:
> > Edwin Sendjaja wrote:
> > > Eduardo, I have the same opinion with you. Well, this version should be
> > > beta version.
> > > I hope they will fix and add some funktions that kde 3.5.8 has already.
> > > Who expect it to be supermega fast and supermega solid. We just want a
> > > better destop than kde3.5.8, which is already super good amd super
> > > solid.
> >
> > If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
> > you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.
>
> I have to disagree here. 4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
> supposed to be better. KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
> recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1. We have a long history of
> expecting better, not "as good". What you are saying sounds like you work
> for M$.
>
> Don't release a desktop just because its time, and expect me to act happy
> about it if its crap. Sorry, but I've read this thread, and over and over
> again I'm hearing "can't do this" and "can't do that". Can't resize, no
> customization, no this, and no that. It has me seriously worried about
> running it.

I have to agree here. While I appreciate the effort into KDE4, and I'm sure
it'll turn out to be a great piece of work (probably quite soon, KDE is
usually pretty quick with updates) I don't think the current stage of KDE4.0
is really something that should be called anything more than beta quality.

A final release should be able to run more than 24 hrs w/o crashing, should
have all it's components (PIM,KDM) up to date and working, and certainly
should have waited until the most anticipated part of it was more than 2
months old (plasma), and had it's features in place.

I'm not at all dismayed with the work so far, just that it was rushed to be
called RC, and gold.

--
| Jason Straight
| http://www.SkyCon.net
| Yahoo: jasonrstraight
| ICQ: 1796276
| MSN: glock21-45cal@hotmail.com
| AIM: JasonRStraight

--- RonPaul2008.com ---

Old 01-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Terence Simpson

Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008 09:51:57 pm Terence Simpson wrote:
>
>> Edwin Sendjaja wrote:
>>
>>> Eduardo, I have the same opinion with you. Well, this version should be
>>> beta version.
>>> I hope they will fix and add some funktions that kde 3.5.8 has already.
>>> Who expect it to be supermega fast and supermega solid. We just want a
>>> better destop than kde3.5.8, which is already super good amd super
>>> solid.
>>>
>> If you want to compare it to 3.5.8 then please wait until 4.5.8, then
>> you'll be comparing things on an equal standing.
>>

> I have to disagree here. 4.0 is the NEXT release in the KDE series, its
> supposed to be better. KDE 3 was way better than KDE 2.whatever, as I
> recall, and KDE 2 was better than KDE 1. We have a long history of expecting
> better, not "as good". What you are saying sounds like you work for M$.
>
> Don't release a desktop just because its time, and expect me to act happy
> about it if its crap. Sorry, but I've read this thread, and over and over
> again I'm hearing "can't do this" and "can't do that". Can't resize, no
> customization, no this, and no that. It has me seriously worried about
> running it.

KDE 2.0 was not "as good" as KDE1, it wasn't for a while. Neither was
KDE 3.0 as good as KDE2 for a while.