Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Clark

Default Floppy Is Solved (steam from ears)

Places I have tried:

Presumably you mean by "Front Panel" :

Control Centre - Control centre; peripherals; storage media; medium
types - All Mime Types (selected)

System Menu - Media Dolphin

Or possibly System Settings Advanced - Disk and File Systems

As a long shot I went in through Konqueror Media

I thought I was on to something when I found Kb Device Database but
that was yet another blind alley

Still no trace of a floppy Icon in any of the above only the hard
drive, and or a CD Icon if there was a Disk inserted.

I have checked the startup (black and white) page and the floppy is
listed as 1.44 Meg, I further proved it is being registered by the
system by leaving a floppy disk in the drive and the standard message
comes up "non system disk please remove and hit any key"

I have left messages in Launch, been to the Wiki, tried every Help page
I can find.

I haven't worked out how to do a search yet* but I'm working on it.

If there are any other little (possibly amusing) hidey holes that are
hidden away in Kubuntu called "Front Panel" perhaps; I would really
appreciate it if someone would tell me where they are so I can get
access to the floppy.* I am not trying to waste anyones' time,
particularly my own.* Perhaps I've missed the front panel, who knows
but there is no floppy to be found.

BUT WAIT ALL OF THE ABOVE IS REDUNDANT!!!

I FOUND THE OBVIOUS (CUNNINGLY CONCEALED) IN FRONT OF MY NOSE - THE
BEST OF ALL PLACES TO HIDE SOMETHING -* I CAN SMELL THE FISH AND TO ME
IT'S A BIT OFF, THERE HAS TO BE A REASON FOR LEAVING THE FLOPPY OUT BUT
ITS BEYOND ME.

I don't know how much of your time would have been saved by the simple
words "pull down menu on desktop - New - Link to device - Floppy
Device; but I do know that I would have saved a great deal of my time
over the last 12 days - may be of some value in future.* Perhaps I'm
expecting too much from a HELP and USER discussion group we all need a
laugh.* By the way is there some Priestly reason for leaving the floppy
disk out of the auto initialisation in the first place, I'm curious
anyone know?

I trust my frustration provided some humour for all, and I promise to
approach this Help and User discussion group circumspectly and with due
reverence in future.* Much reading to do on Wine and or Partitions
before asking any other questions here.

Cheers,

Clark.

Donn wrote:

I have installed Kfloppy but still can't find my floppy drive?

At the risk of being slapped - have you tried the front panel on your
computer

Old 01-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Donn

Clark,
> I don't know how much of your time would have been saved by the simple
> words "pull down menu on desktop - New - Link to device - Floppy Device;
That's news to me too. I did mention a few days ago that I was out of touch
with how floppy's work, so my last post was just a leg puller.

Well done on getting it to work.

> last 12 days - may be of some value in future. Perhaps I'm expecting
> too much from a HELP and USER discussion group we all need a laugh.
We can only do our best, I think we all stand around in a dark room called
Kubuntu holding our candles and torches trying to connect the cones of light,
but there's a lot of gaps in-between.

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/