-   -   Threading in Kmail 7.10 (kubuntu) (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/34240-threading-kmail-7-10-kubuntu.html)

Richard 01-10-2008 07:52 PM

Threading in Kmail 7.10 (kubuntu)

Does kmail threading work well (compare to outlook -ouch),
can't seem to get it right

Want Threading descending and group by threads,
Plus, watch threads in front would be nice...

TIA
Richard

Donn 01-10-2008 08:11 PM

On Thursday, 10 January 2008 22:52:53 Richard wrote:
> Does kmail threading work well (compare to outlook -ouch),
> can't seem to get it right
It's a little odd. Go to Folder -> Thread Messages to get it threaded. Then
when you click the "Order of arrival" column it actually changes function a
few times, so click it more than once.

That's my limit of skillz.

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Derek Broughton 01-10-2008 08:25 PM

Richard wrote:

> Does kmail threading work well (compare to outlook -ouch),

"Outlook" threading doesn't work at all, you must mean Outlook Express.

> can't seem to get it right
>
> Want Threading descending and group by threads,

Afaict, you're just asking about display formats, not threading - which is
specifically about linking each mail to a previous one via
either "References:" or "In-Reply-To:" headers.

KMail threads, and it even lets you cheat and include messages with the same
subject that have no references (because so may OE versions didn't bother
to include them). Then it displays the threads in a standard tree format.

> Plus, watch threads in front would be nice...

I've no idea what this means, but KMail doesn't have any particular options
for watched threads.
--
derek

andrew 01-11-2008 07:18 PM

On Thursday 10 January 2008 21:25, Derek Broughton wrote:
> I've no idea what this means, but KMail doesn't have any
> particular options for watched threads.

Click on the message, right click, watch thread.

AJH

Richard 01-11-2008 08:10 PM

On Friday 11 January 2008 3:18:35 pm andrew wrote:
> On Thursday 10 January 2008 21:25, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > I've no idea what this means, but KMail doesn't have any
> > particular options for watched threads.
>
> Click on the message, right click, watch thread.
>
> AJH

Yeah, I figured it out.
Rich

Derek Broughton 01-12-2008 12:29 AM

andrew wrote:

> On Thursday 10 January 2008 21:25, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> I've no idea what this means, but KMail doesn't have any
>> particular options for watched threads.
>
> Click on the message, right click, watch thread.

That makes a thread "watched" - I didn't say kmail doesn't have the ability
to watch threads. All that does is let you mark a thread as watched, and I
would expect to be able to filter based on it, but that's all.
--
derek

Colin Pinkney 01-12-2008 10:35 PM

On Saturday 12 Jan 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> That makes a thread "watched" - I didn't say kmail doesn't have the ability
> to watch threads. All that does is let you mark a thread as watched, and I
> would expect to be able to filter based on it, but that's all.

Watch a thread and then at the top right, select status 'Watched' to filter ;)

--
Colin Pinkney
http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

Derek Broughton 01-14-2008 01:37 AM

Colin Pinkney wrote:

> On Saturday 12 Jan 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> That makes a thread "watched" - I didn't say kmail doesn't have the
>> ability
>> to watch threads. All that does is let you mark a thread as watched, and
>> I would expect to be able to filter based on it, but that's all.
>
> Watch a thread and then at the top right, select status 'Watched' to
> filter ;)

You're still missing the point. I said I could do that. However, the OP
wanted to do something special with watched threads. I couldn't figure out
_what_, but I do know KMail doesn't do it - because all kmail can do is
watch a thread or filter it.
--
derek