Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Bruce Bales

Default Lost sound and video input - kubuntu 7.10

Hi, All,
About a month after converting from kubuntu Dapper to kubuntu 7.10, I lost all
sound. Apparently at about the same time, In addition, I was no longer able
to access /dev/video0 for the tv video input.

I think the problem began about the time I tried to add my name to the geneweb
group. (That didn't work, but geneweb is working for me.)

The kmix box comes up empty.
alsamixer returns: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
but sudo alsamixer brings up the mixer.

alsaplayer installs a null plugin and no sound, but sudo alsaplayer works.

ls -l /usr/bin/alsamixer
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39028 2007-09-03 21:52 /usr/bin/alsamixer

So alsamixer is executable by anyone, but not me, apparently.

mpg321 foo.mp3 gives ALSA lib confmisc.c:769parse_card) cannot find card '

ls -l /usr/bin/mpg321
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 36888 2004-08-13 23:03 /usr/bin/mpg321

cat /dev/video0 >test.mpg
cat: /dev/video0: Permission denied
This does work if I put sudo in front of cat. mplayer test.mpg then shows the
picture without sound, but sudo mplayer shows it with sound.

ls -l /dev/video0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/video0

ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/dsp

ls -l /dev/video0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/video0

Maybe there is some simple obvious solution to this, but I can't find it.
Anyone have any ideas?
bruce

Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Colin Pinkney

Hi Bruce

On Thursday 10 Jan 2008, Bruce Bales wrote:
> I think the problem began about the time I tried to add my name to the
> geneweb group. (That didn't work, but geneweb is working for me.)
>
> The kmix box comes up empty.
> alsamixer returns: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
> but sudo alsamixer brings up the mixer.
>
> alsaplayer installs a null plugin and no sound, but sudo alsaplayer works.
>
> ls -l /usr/bin/alsamixer
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39028 2007-09-03 21:52 /usr/bin/alsamixer
>
> So alsamixer is executable by anyone, but not me, apparently.

It looks like you somehow managed to remove yourself from the default
secondary groups. alsamixer is executing as you, but cannot open the mixer
device due to lack of permission when running under your account and so bombs
out.

> ls -l /dev/video0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/video0
>
> ls -l /dev/dsp
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/dsp
>
> ls -l /dev/video0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/video0
>
> Maybe there is some simple obvious solution to this, but I can't find it.
> Anyone have any ideas?

If you notice with the permissions above, only the root user (or anyone
running sudo) and users in the groups audio and video can read and write to
the video and audio devices. Type 'id' at the command line and it will list
the groups you are a member of. By default the list should look something
like this:

groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29( audio),30(dip),44(video),46
(plugdev),100(users),104(scanner),112(netdev),113( lpadmin),115(powerdev),118
(admin)

You need to be in the audio and video groups for all these audio/video
applications to work and if they're missing when you enter the 'id' command
then this is your problem.

To correct it at the command line you can type a series of commands like this
(assuming 'bruce' is your actual username):

sudo adduser bruce audio
sudo adduser bruce video

Alternatively you can open the System Settings in KDE and click User
Management, switch to Administrator Mode (bottom right) and modify your user
account to include these groups as secondary groups.

NOTE: You will probably need to log out and back in again for these changes to
take effect.

HTH

--
Colin Pinkney
http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Colin Pinkney wrote:

> On Thursday 10 Jan 2008, Bruce Bales wrote:
>> I think the problem began about the time I tried to add my name to the
>> geneweb group. (That didn't work, but geneweb is working for me.)

Ding!

You used usermod and forgot the -a option.

# sudo usermod -a -G geneweb bruce

adds the group "geneweb" to your secondary groups.

# sudo usermod -G geneweb bruce

_makes_ "geneweb" your secondary group

That's one of the stupidest default options I've ever seen, but I've been
forced to do it a lot recently, because I've somehow b0rked the KDE user
maintenance program (of course, fixing kuser might be a good idea...).
--
derek

Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Bruce Bales

On Thursday 10 January 2008 14:40:53 Colin Pinkney wrote:
> Hi Bruce
>
> On Thursday 10 Jan 2008, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > I think the problem began about the time I tried to add my name to the
> > geneweb group. (That didn't work, but geneweb is working for me.)
> >
> > The kmix box comes up empty.
> > alsamixer returns: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such
> > device but sudo alsamixer brings up the mixer.
> >
> > alsaplayer installs a null plugin and no sound, but sudo alsaplayer
> > works.
> >
> > ls -l /usr/bin/alsamixer
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39028 2007-09-03 21:52 /usr/bin/alsamixer
> >
> > So alsamixer is executable by anyone, but not me, apparently.
>
> It looks like you somehow managed to remove yourself from the default
> secondary groups. alsamixer is executing as you, but cannot open the mixer
> device due to lack of permission when running under your account and so
> bombs out.
>
> > ls -l /dev/video0
> > crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/video0
> >
> > ls -l /dev/dsp
> > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/dsp
> >
> > ls -l /dev/video0
> > crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2008-01-10 11:29 /dev/video0
> >
> > Maybe there is some simple obvious solution to this, but I can't find it.
> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> If you notice with the permissions above, only the root user (or anyone
> running sudo) and users in the groups audio and video can read and write to
> the video and audio devices. Type 'id' at the command line and it will list
> the groups you are a member of. By default the list should look something
> like this:
>
> groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29( audio),30(dip),44(video),
>46
> (plugdev),100(users),104(scanner),112(netdev),113( lpadmin),115(powerdev),11
>8 (admin)
>
> You need to be in the audio and video groups for all these audio/video
> applications to work and if they're missing when you enter the 'id' command
> then this is your problem.
>
> To correct it at the command line you can type a series of commands like
> this (assuming 'bruce' is your actual username):
>
> sudo adduser bruce audio
> sudo adduser bruce video
>
> Alternatively you can open the System Settings in KDE and click User
> Management, switch to Administrator Mode (bottom right) and modify your
> user account to include these groups as secondary groups.
>
> NOTE: You will probably need to log out and back in again for these changes
> to take effect.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Colin Pinkney
> http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

Yes, that did it. Thank you very much. I have been using linux for almost
nine years, exclusively for seven years and I have never heard of secondary
groups. I'll bet that ntp hasn't been working for the same reason.

Is there any danger in adding myself to any group that looks likely
in /etc/group ? I see mysql, geneweb, admin, saned. Would there be a list
somewhere?
bruce

Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Colin Pinkney

On Thursday 10 Jan 2008, Bruce Bales wrote:
> On Thursday 10 January 2008 14:40:53 Colin Pinkney wrote:
> > groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29( audio),30(dip),44(video
> >), 46
> > (plugdev),100(users),104(scanner),112(netdev),113( lpadmin),115(powerdev),
> >11 8 (admin)
> >
> > You need to be in the audio and video groups for all these audio/video
> > applications to work and if they're missing when you enter the 'id'
> > command then this is your problem.
> >
> > To correct it at the command line you can type a series of commands like
> > this (assuming 'bruce' is your actual username):
> >
> > sudo adduser bruce audio
> > sudo adduser bruce video
> >
> > Alternatively you can open the System Settings in KDE and click User
> > Management, switch to Administrator Mode (bottom right) and modify your
> > user account to include these groups as secondary groups.
>
> Yes, that did it. Thank you very much. I have been using linux for almost
> nine years, exclusively for seven years and I have never heard of secondary
> groups. I'll bet that ntp hasn't been working for the same reason.
>
> Is there any danger in adding myself to any group that looks likely
> in /etc/group ? I see mysql, geneweb, admin, saned. Would there be a list
> somewhere?
> bruce

/etc/group is the complete list of user groups on your system AFAIK and also
stored who belongs to which. However, you should use 'adduser' or the User
Management screen in System Settings to modify which groups you are in.

If you make your groups list match the ones I listed above (plus the group
with the same name as your username) then everything on your system should in
theory work ok.

--
Colin Pinkney
http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Bruce Bales

On Thursday 10 January 2008 15:41:19 Colin Pinkney wrote:
> On Thursday 10 Jan 2008, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 January 2008 14:40:53 Colin Pinkney wrote:
> > > groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29( audio),30(dip),44(vid
> > >eo ), 46
> > > (plugdev),100(users),104(scanner),112(netdev),113( lpadmin),115(powerdev
> > >), 11 8 (admin)
> > >
> > > You need to be in the audio and video groups for all these audio/video
> > > applications to work and if they're missing when you enter the 'id'
> > > command then this is your problem.
> > >
> > > To correct it at the command line you can type a series of commands
> > > like this (assuming 'bruce' is your actual username):
> > >
> > > sudo adduser bruce audio
> > > sudo adduser bruce video
> > >
> > > Alternatively you can open the System Settings in KDE and click User
> > > Management, switch to Administrator Mode (bottom right) and modify your
> > > user account to include these groups as secondary groups.
> >
> > Yes, that did it. Thank you very much. I have been using linux for
> > almost nine years, exclusively for seven years and I have never heard of
> > secondary groups. I'll bet that ntp hasn't been working for the same
> > reason.
> >
> > Is there any danger in adding myself to any group that looks likely
> > in /etc/group ? I see mysql, geneweb, admin, saned. Would there be a
> > list somewhere?
> > bruce
>
> /etc/group is the complete list of user groups on your system AFAIK and
> also stored who belongs to which. However, you should use 'adduser' or the
> User Management screen in System Settings to modify which groups you are
> in.
>
> If you make your groups list match the ones I listed above (plus the group
> with the same name as your username) then everything on your system should
> in theory work ok.
>
> --
> Colin Pinkney
> http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

Thanks again, Colin. My education continues.
bruce

Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Bruce Bales

On Thursday 10 January 2008 15:23:21 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Colin Pinkney wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 Jan 2008, Bruce Bales wrote:
> >> I think the problem began about the time I tried to add my name to the
> >> geneweb group. (That didn't work, but geneweb is working for me.)
>
> Ding!
>
> You used usermod and forgot the -a option.
>
> # sudo usermod -a -G geneweb bruce
>
> adds the group "geneweb" to your secondary groups.
>
> # sudo usermod -G geneweb bruce
>
> _makes_ "geneweb" your secondary group
>
> That's one of the stupidest default options I've ever seen, but I've been
> forced to do it a lot recently, because I've somehow b0rked the KDE user
> maintenance program (of course, fixing kuser might be a good idea...).
> --
> derek

And thanks to you, Derek. I believe I tried

sudo usermod -G -a geneweb bruce
first and it complained about "No group -a" so I tried

sudo usermod -G geneweb bruce

I managed to do it on both my kubuntu 7-10 machines.

bruce