-   -   Access (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/33445-access.html)

Stew Schneider 01-09-2008 09:49 PM

Access

You know, one of the most recurrent problems is entering an office that
has an Access app and realizing that this one app is going to keep them
from the Linux world unless you are willing to dump the data to mysql or
some such and then (the biggest headache) recreate the forms, queries
and reports from scratch.

I've never found a package that will do that. Anybody know of one?

stew

"Chris Miller" 01-09-2008 09:56 PM

Access

On Jan 9, 2008 2:49 PM, Stew Schneider <stew.schneider@gmail.com> wrote:
> You know, one of the most recurrent problems is entering an office that
> has an Access app and realizing that this one app is going to keep them
> from the Linux world unless you are willing to dump the data to mysql or
> some such and then (the biggest headache) recreate the forms, queries
> and reports from scratch.
>
> I've never found a package that will do that. Anybody know of one?

Wine?

VMWare?

Useful while you're recreating. I know of nothing that really does it
like magic, though recently using Joomla and Fabrik I was able to
easily create forms and tables and rot like that without excessive
pain. It's not really powerful unless you want to write custom PHP
scripts to handle some postprocessing, but it does work.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman

Colin Pinkney 01-09-2008 10:59 PM

Access

On Wednesday 09 Jan 2008, Stew Schneider wrote:
> You know, one of the most recurrent problems is entering an office that
> has an Access app and realizing that this one app is going to keep them
> from the Linux world unless you are willing to dump the data to mysql or
> some such and then (the biggest headache) recreate the forms, queries
> and reports from scratch.
>
> I've never found a package that will do that. Anybody know of one?

Kexi in Koffice is very similar to MS Access and has early support for
importing MDB files. It at least can import table schema and data. Obviously
as MS Access has been around for so long, Kexi isn't going to be as mature
but it looks quite solid to me.

See the Kexi website for more: http://www.kexi-project.org/

--
Colin Pinkney
http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

Jesus Arocho 01-09-2008 11:34 PM

Access

I use knoda; it is more mature than kexi and has more functionality. You may
also want to check into Rekall. Unfortunately developement has slowed down
considerably. I understand kexi is better integrated with kde; knoda is qt
based but not necessarily with kde in mind. I was reading comments on a kde4
develpment/future type discussion on the subject. Apparently the kde people
want to standardize on one system. kexi, knoda, and rekall were mentioned as
possible solutions.

Neil Winchurst 01-10-2008 08:11 AM

Access

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:49:37 -0500
Stew Schneider <stew.schneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> You know, one of the most recurrent problems is entering an office that
> has an Access app and realizing that this one app is going to keep them
> from the Linux world unless you are willing to dump the data to mysql or
> some such and then (the biggest headache) recreate the forms, queries
> and reports from scratch.
>
> I've never found a package that will do that. Anybody know of one?
>
> stew

Back in the days when I used Windows I used to write databases for
small companies. I used Borland Paradox which was similar to Access but
IMHO much better. Anyway I was quite successful and made a reasonable
career out of it.

I have been using just Linux for about six years now. I found that
everything I wanted to do was available except a database in the
Access, Paradox style. I have always considered this to be a big
problem for Linux users and over the years since then I have not seen
the situation get much better.

I have looked at Rekall, Knoda, Kexi and others but, as far as I know,
there is still not anywhere in Linux an equivalent to Access or
Paradox, even after six years of waiting. What I am referring to here
is a program which contains everything in the one package, the so
called monolithic database. Yes, I know that there are front ends to
mysql et al and I accept that that is one way to go. But, I still
believe that an all-in-one database package for Linux, la Access, is
needed and would be welcomed by many.

Just my two pennyworth.

Neil Winchurst

Derek Broughton 01-10-2008 12:32 PM

Access

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have been using just Linux for about six years now. I found that
> everything I wanted to do was available except a database in the
> Access, Paradox style. I have always considered this to be a big
> problem for Linux users and over the years since then I have not seen
> the situation get much better.
>
> I have looked at Rekall, Knoda, Kexi and others but, as far as I know,
> there is still not anywhere in Linux an equivalent to Access or
> Paradox, even after six years of waiting. What I am referring to here
> is a program which contains everything in the one package, the so
> called monolithic database. Yes, I know that there are front ends to
> mysql et al and I accept that that is one way to go. But, I still
> believe that an all-in-one database package for Linux, la Access, is
> needed and would be welcomed by many.

This seems like an unsolvable problem. Such a package would require a
massive development effort, which means the resources of a large
corporation behind it. But large corporations really _hate_ the
proliferation of Access databases, because it fosters data "islanding" -
every part of the company has its databases jealously guarded, and no
sharing is happening. My entire livelihood consists of getting stuff out
of Access and Excel and into enterprise databases.
--
derek

Larry Hartman 01-10-2008 12:59 PM

Access

I started working with OpenOffice.org Base two weeks ago and spent hours
learning how to make a button control on one form open another form....there
is potential with this program but the documentation is woefully inadequate
to get people started quickly. There is strong potential here to solve this
problem, but lots of development needed yet to make it mature.

As I begun working, I soon realized that HTML MySQL PHP, while heavier
applications, would be much easier to learn and program than a Base file.
The documentation for all of these applications are far richer both online
and commercially than anything I saw for the Visual Basic and UNO system that
OpenOffice.org employs--so while the learning curve is steeper, it has much
more efficient tools to help climb the hill.

Larry

Neil Winchurst 01-10-2008 01:58 PM

Access

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 05:59:01 -0800
Larry Hartman <larryhartman50@vzavenue.net> wrote:

> I started working with OpenOffice.org Base two weeks ago and spent hours
> learning how to make a button control on one form open another form....there
> is potential with this program but the documentation is woefully inadequate
> to get people started quickly. There is strong potential here to solve this
> problem, but lots of development needed yet to make it mature.

Which is the sort of thing that I mean. Getting a button on one form to
open another form was utterly simple in Paradox (and Access) more than
ten years ago. Yet here we are in Linux land all that time later and it
is still a huge learning curve. Crazy.

Neil Winchurst

Neil Winchurst 01-10-2008 02:09 PM

Access

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:32:22 -0400
Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> >
> > I have been using just Linux for about six years now. I found that
> > everything I wanted to do was available except a database in the
> > Access, Paradox style. I have always considered this to be a big
> > problem for Linux users and over the years since then I have not seen
> > the situation get much better.
> >

> This seems like an unsolvable problem. Such a package would require a
> massive development effort, which means the resources of a large
> corporation behind it. But large corporations really _hate_ the
> proliferation of Access databases, because it fosters data "islanding" -
> every part of the company has its databases jealously guarded, and no
> sharing is happening. My entire livelihood consists of getting stuff out
> of Access and Excel and into enterprise databases.
> --
> derek

I understand that. However I used to write these databases in Paradox
for small companies only. They needed just the one database, perhaps
with a maximum of two or three computers linked together, and not a huge
file of records. They did not need, and indeed could not afford,
anything more than that. I am not suggesting for a moment that this
kind of DB would be any use for a big company with many departments.

What I am saying is that there is a need for such a program, **as well
as** not instead of the current mysql etc ones available now. Nowadays,
if I were approached by a similar small (very small) company needing
something similar to those I used to create I would have to say that
there is nothing suitable in Linux at the moment.

As I say, as well as, not instead of ......

Neil Winchurst

"O. Sinclair" 01-10-2008 02:24 PM

Access

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:32:22 -0400
> Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> I have been using just Linux for about six years now. I found that
>>> everything I wanted to do was available except a database in the
>>> Access, Paradox style. I have always considered this to be a big
>>> problem for Linux users and over the years since then I have not seen
>>> the situation get much better.
>>>
>> This seems like an unsolvable problem. Such a package would require a
>> massive development effort, which means the resources of a large
>> corporation behind it. But large corporations really _hate_ the
>> proliferation of Access databases, because it fosters data "islanding" -
>> every part of the company has its databases jealously guarded, and no
>> sharing is happening. My entire livelihood consists of getting stuff out
>> of Access and Excel and into enterprise databases.
>> --
>> derek
>>
> I understand that. However I used to write these databases in Paradox
> for small companies only. They needed just the one database, perhaps
> with a maximum of two or three computers linked together, and not a huge
> file of records. They did not need, and indeed could not afford,
> anything more than that. I am not suggesting for a moment that this
> kind of DB would be any use for a big company with many departments.
>
> What I am saying is that there is a need for such a program, **as well
> as** not instead of the current mysql etc ones available now. Nowadays,
> if I were approached by a similar small (very small) company needing
> something similar to those I used to create I would have to say that
> there is nothing suitable in Linux at the moment.
>
> As I say, as well as, not instead of ......
>
> Neil Winchurst

I think SQLite might be what you are looking for but with what front-end
I don't know. Gambas?

Sinclair