Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Neil Winchurst

Default Access

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:58:04 -0400
Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> There's no safe upgrade path from Edgy to Hardy, and it's sure to be at
> least as problematic as Gutsy, anyway.
> --
> derek

Yes, I realise that. It will have to be a new install. Seeing that Edgy
is working fine for me anyway, I well not bother. If is ain't
broke .....

Neil Winchurst

Old 01-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Art Alexion

On Friday 11 January 2008 01:59:10 O. Sinclair wrote:
> I think Kexi might be what you are looking for, this is from the Kexi FAQ:
> " * *Q1.2: How to use database servers with Kexi?
> * * *A1.2: First, note that you do not need to use database servers at
> all - you can use file-based builtin database server built into Kexi
> (SQLite-based, very much like MS Access, but a bit more robust).

I think there are two problems, not yet implemented in Linux as far as I know.

First, apps like Kexi import access tables, and links, but not forms, reports,
etc. While the programmatic implementation might be complex, this isn't much
help as you can always export from access and import elsewhere. ODBC can
also help solve some of the data access issues. The problem is in importing
a "desktop database application" consisting of tables, forms and reports.

Second, haven't seen an app that reads and writes to access so that it can be
implemented in a mixed environment like OO Writer and Calc can do with Word
and Excel.

In my medium sized office (250 main office desktops and up to 3000 outside
desktops, some connected some not) Linux implementation is stalling with
people using Access directly and those who use Excel sheets with embedded
Access data (which makes OO Calc choke).

Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Art Alexion

On Friday 11 January 2008 20:58:04 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Well, I could, except that I have seen many complaints about and
> > problems with Gutsy on the list, so I am a bit wary. That is why I am
> > considering the jump from Edgy to Hardy.
>
> LOL. *You think there will be _fewer_ complaints about Hardy?? *Gutsy has
> been the cleanest upgrade ever, imo.

I'm going to second this. I have never had so few problems with an upgrade.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Art Alexion

On Thursday 10 January 2008 13:57:39 Derek Broughton wrote:
> I don't think you're _ever_ going to find that in a Linux environment.
> What's the value? *Linux users mostly don't care if it's all-in-one, and
> developers are actively against it. *It breaks the principles of using one
> tool for one action, decoupling interface from implementation, and enabling
> migration of data.

Right, but you can do something along the lines of Kontact that integrates the
parts. The killer, at this point, in heterogeneous environments is the
inability to work with the forms, queries and reports.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Derek Broughton

Art Alexion wrote:

> On Thursday 10 January 2008 13:57:39 Derek Broughton wrote:
>> I don't think you're _ever_ going to find that in a Linux environment.
>> What's the value? *Linux users mostly don't care if it's all-in-one, and
>> developers are actively against it. *It breaks the principles of using
>> one tool for one action, decoupling interface from implementation, and
>> enabling migration of data.
>
> Right, but you can do something along the lines of Kontact that integrates
> the parts.

I completely agree, but the OP didn't want to do that. I think something
that could provide an Access type form & report front-end to any relational
database is workable, desirable, and might even get the resources needed
for development, but to do it in a single app, tightly coupled to the
database is just not likely to happen.

If somebody could figure out how to import the forms & reports from access
into such a tool, it would be a dynamite app (importing the queries is
trivial, and ODBC can already handle the actual data and table
definitions).

> The killer, at this point, in heterogeneous environments is the
> inability to work with the forms, queries and reports.

I agree (there are tools that will handle the query part).
--
derek

Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 PM

What about the base product included with OpenOffice?

Quoting Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:

> Art Alexion wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 10 January 2008 13:57:39 Derek Broughton wrote:
> >> I don't think you're _ever_ going to find that in a Linux
> environment.
> >> What's the value? Linux users mostly don't care if it's all-in-one,
> and
> >> developers are actively against it. It breaks the principles of
> using
> >> one tool for one action, decoupling interface from implementation,
> and
> >> enabling migration of data.
> >
> > Right, but you can do something along the lines of Kontact that
> integrates
> > the parts.
>
> I completely agree, but the OP didn't want to do that. I think something
> that could provide an Access type form & report front-end to any
> relational
> database is workable, desirable, and might even get the resources needed
> for development, but to do it in a single app, tightly coupled to the
> database is just not likely to happen.
>
> If somebody could figure out how to import the forms & reports from
> access
> into such a tool, it would be a dynamite app (importing the queries is
> trivial, and ODBC can already handle the actual data and table
> definitions).
>
> > The killer, at this point, in heterogeneous environments is the
> > inability to work with the forms, queries and reports.
>
> I agree (there are tools that will handle the query part).
> --
> derek

-
Ron Wilson

Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Monday 14 January 2008 18:08, Art Alexion wrote:
> I think there are two problems, not yet implemented in Linux as far as I
> know.

I can hardly wait ;O)

--
BOFH excuse #180: ether leak

Old 01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Derek Broughton

ronw@paradise.net.nz wrote:

> What about the base product included with OpenOffice?

POS. I have never managed to do anything even _trivial_ with OpenOffice
Base, let alone anything meaningful.
--
derek