Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default Access

Martin Laberge wrote:
> On January 10, 2008 11:04:23 Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:24:31 +0200
>> "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think SQLite might be what you are looking for but with what front-end
>>> I don't know. Gambas?
>>>
>>> Sinclair
>>>
>> Yes, I have looked at that. But that is one of the points that I was
>> making. I am talking about an all-in-one, everything-included
>> program in the style of Access and Paradox, a so called monolithic
>> program.
>>
>> You suggest SQLite, but then I must look for a front-end
>> program. I am talking about a program which would already include
>> tables, forms, queries, reports etc all in the one package. No need to
>> look for a front-end or anything else. This kind of program is still
>> missing in Linux, as far as I know.
>>
>> Neil Winchurst
>>

> All applications include a frontend and a backend.
>
> Wathever you call them, they procees as such.
>
> the frontend and the backend, do not need to be linked
> together to consist of ONE Application.
>
> Many windows applications includes many dll
> and are called monolythic apps.
>
> Are you referrign to an application with one EXEcutable
> and a thousand unknown references?
>
> Or an application using many known references ?
>
> Or wathever it is ??
>
> Kexi with Sqlite, is the monolythic way,
> Kexi with Mysql, is the distributed way
>
> Choose the one you need, and let us use the other,
> if I or someone else think the other way is the better.
>
> Anyway, you end up with a monolithic app, with many options.
>
> And the user wont care of the way, if it is useable, simple, and clean.

I think Kexi might be what you are looking for, this is from the Kexi FAQ:
" Q1.2: How to use database servers with Kexi?
A1.2: First, note that you do not need to use database servers at
all - you can use file-based builtin database server built into Kexi
(SQLite-based, very much like MS Access, but a bit more robust).
If you want database servers, PostgreSQL and MySQL are supported.
Create a new blank database project on server using Kexi's startup
dialogs. Kexi will ask you to define connection data with connection
dialog and select database name, so you will be able to just pick this
predefined connection later. You can also use command line options to
create and drop database projects. Also read here (october 2004)."

I think I might try it out myself, I have "almost live" data in a
interbase database from the windows-side I would like to build an app for.

Sinclair

Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Martin Laberge wrote:
> On January 10, 2008 11:04:23 Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:24:31 +0200
>> "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think SQLite might be what you are looking for but with what front-end
>>> I don't know. Gambas?
>>>
>>> Sinclair
>>>
>> Yes, I have looked at that. But that is one of the points that I was
>> making. I am talking about an all-in-one, everything-included
>> program in the style of Access and Paradox, a so called monolithic
>> program.
>>
>> You suggest SQLite, but then I must look for a front-end
>> program. I am talking about a program which would already include
>> tables, forms, queries, reports etc all in the one package. No need to
>> look for a front-end or anything else. This kind of program is still
>> missing in Linux, as far as I know.
>>
>> Neil Winchurst
>>

> All applications include a frontend and a backend.
>
> Wathever you call them, they procees as such.
>
> the frontend and the backend, do not need to be linked
> together to consist of ONE Application.
>
> Many windows applications includes many dll
> and are called monolythic apps.
>
> Are you referrign to an application with one EXEcutable
> and a thousand unknown references?
>
> Or an application using many known references ?
>
> Or wathever it is ??
>
> Kexi with Sqlite, is the monolythic way,
> Kexi with Mysql, is the distributed way

Still in the subject I notice that in my repos Kexis has an mdb-plugin
and some sort of migrator för Access databases. More and more interesting.

Sinclair

Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Neil Winchurst

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:59:10 +0200
"O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Kexi might be what you are looking for, this is from the Kexi FAQ:
> " Q1.2: How to use database servers with Kexi?
> A1.2: First, note that you do not need to use database servers at
> all - you can use file-based builtin database server built into Kexi
> (SQLite-based, very much like MS Access, but a bit more robust).
> If you want database servers, PostgreSQL and MySQL are supported.
> Create a new blank database project on server using Kexi's startup
> dialogs. Kexi will ask you to define connection data with connection
> dialog and select database name, so you will be able to just pick this
> predefined connection later. You can also use command line options to
> create and drop database projects. Also read here (october 2004)."
>
> I think I might try it out myself, I have "almost live" data in a
> interbase database from the windows-side I would like to build an app for.
>
> Sinclair

Thanks for that and for all the other answers received. It does look as
though kexi is going to be the nearest one to what I am looking for. I
will look at it more closely. At the moment I am using Edgy which is
getting a bit old, so my version of kexi is also old. I expect to move
to Hardy in April which should have more up to date versions of
programs, and is the next LTS version I understand.

Thanks again

Neil Winchurst

Old 01-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

fredag den 11. Januar 2008 kvad Neil Winchurst:
> At the moment I am using Edgy which is getting a bit old, so my
> version of kexi is also old. I expect to move to Hardy in April
> which should have more up to date versions of programs, and is the
> next LTS version I understand.

Kubuntu 8.4 (Hardy) will _not_ have LTS, because of the big transition
to KDE 4.0

If you want a newer kexi, you could consider kubuntu 7.10, with the
stable KDE 3.5.8.
This will be supported until april 2009.

Best regards )
Johnny )

Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> fredag den 11. Januar 2008 kvad Neil Winchurst:
>> At the moment I am using Edgy which is getting a bit old, so my
>> version of kexi is also old. I expect to move to Hardy in April
>> which should have more up to date versions of programs, and is the
>> next LTS version I understand.
>
> Kubuntu 8.4 (Hardy) will _not_ have LTS, because of the big transition
> to KDE 4.0

Really? As I understood it 8.04 will be LTS but with KDE 3.5.something
and not KDE4. KDE4 only available as an optional download.

Sinclair

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

fredag den 11. Januar 2008 kvad O. Sinclair:
> Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> > fredag den 11. Januar 2008 kvad Neil Winchurst:
> >> At the moment I am using Edgy which is getting a bit old, so my
> >> version of kexi is also old. I expect to move to Hardy in April
> >> which should have more up to date versions of programs, and is
> >> the next LTS version I understand.
> >
> > Kubuntu 8.4 (Hardy) will _not_ have LTS, because of the big
> > transition to KDE 4.0
>
> Really? As I understood it 8.04 will be LTS but with KDE
> 3.5.something and not KDE4. KDE4 only available as an optional
> download.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Of course I haven't got a link to the "official" explanation, from
which I got my understanding.

The point was something along the lines of this:

"We will not have enough developers for long term support of KDE 3,
since they all now move to KDE 4 development."

Has anyone got that link?

Best regards )

Johnny )

Old 01-11-2008, 11:12 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> fredag den 11. Januar 2008 kvad Neil Winchurst:
>> At the moment I am using Edgy which is getting a bit old, so my
>> version of kexi is also old. I expect to move to Hardy in April
>> which should have more up to date versions of programs, and is the
>> next LTS version I understand.
>
> Kubuntu 8.4 (Hardy) will _not_ have LTS, because of the big transition
> to KDE 4.0
>
> If you want a newer kexi, you could consider kubuntu 7.10, with the
> stable KDE 3.5.8.
> This will be supported until april 2009.
After some diggin around on the net I admit it seems you are right.
Kubuntu 8.04 "kde 3.5-flavor" will have 18 months support, 8.04 "kde
4.0-flavor" will get 6 months only.

Sinclair

Old 01-11-2008, 11:12 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> fredag den 11. Januar 2008 kvad O. Sinclair:
>> Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
>>> fredag den 11. Januar 2008 kvad Neil Winchurst:
>>> Kubuntu 8.4 (Hardy) will _not_ have LTS, because of the big
>>> transition to KDE 4.0
>> Really? As I understood it 8.04 will be LTS but with KDE
>> 3.5.something and not KDE4. KDE4 only available as an optional
>> download.
>
> I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
>
> Of course I haven't got a link to the "official" explanation, from
> which I got my understanding.
>
> The point was something along the lines of this:
>
> "We will not have enough developers for long term support of KDE 3,
> since they all now move to KDE 4 development."
>
> Has anyone got that link?
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/2007-December/002066.html

Sinclair

Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Neil Winchurst

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:12:45 +0100
Johnny Ernst Nielsen <j_e_n_pub@yahoo.dk> wrote:

> Kubuntu 8.4 (Hardy) will _not_ have LTS, because of the big transition
> to KDE 4.0
I have heard both suggestions on this list. Some say it will bee LTS
and others say not. I will wait and see.

> If you want a newer kexi, you could consider kubuntu 7.10, with the
> stable KDE 3.5.8.
> This will be supported until april 2009.
>
> Best regards )
> Johnny )

Well, I could, except that I have seen many complaints about and
problems with Gutsy on the list, so I am a bit wary. That is why I am
considering the jump from Edgy to Hardy.

Neil Winchurst

Old 01-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Derek Broughton

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Well, I could, except that I have seen many complaints about and
> problems with Gutsy on the list, so I am a bit wary. That is why I am
> considering the jump from Edgy to Hardy.

LOL. You think there will be _fewer_ complaints about Hardy?? Gutsy has
been the cleanest upgrade ever, imo. Of course there are lots of
complaints about Gutsy - the only people who comment on an upgrade are the
ones who have problems - but more people complained about Edgy.

There's no safe upgrade path from Edgy to Hardy, and it's sure to be at
least as problematic as Gutsy, anyway.
--
derek