Old 01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
nepal

Default Access

On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Stew Schneider wrote:
> I've never found a package that will do that. Anybody
> know of one?
>
> stew

Have you looked at DataKiosk?

It uses a sql back end but has forms generation. It is in
the repos.

nepal.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Derek Broughton

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I understand that. However I used to write these databases in Paradox
> for small companies only. They needed just the one database, perhaps
> with a maximum of two or three computers linked together, and not a huge
> file of records. They did not need, and indeed could not afford,
> anything more than that. I am not suggesting for a moment that this
> kind of DB would be any use for a big company with many departments.

I understood that - but the problem is that it's the sort of application
that isn't going to be created by a small development team. The only
people I can see who might have the interest in doing it, and the
resources, are the OOO developers.

--
derek

Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Neil Winchurst

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:24:31 +0200
"O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think SQLite might be what you are looking for but with what front-end
> I don't know. Gambas?
>
> Sinclair

Yes, I have looked at that. But that is one of the points that I was
making. I am talking about an all-in-one, everything-included
program in the style of Access and Paradox, a so called monolithic
program.

You suggest SQLite, but then I must look for a front-end
program. I am talking about a program which would already include
tables, forms, queries, reports etc all in the one package. No need to
look for a front-end or anything else. This kind of program is still
missing in Linux, as far as I know.

Neil Winchurst

Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Derek Broughton

O. Sinclair wrote:

> I think SQLite might be what you are looking for but with what front-end
> I don't know. Gambas?

Ideally, such an application front-end would work with any relational
database, so SQLite or MySQL or PostGreSQL is irrelevant.
--
derek

Old 01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Neil Winchurst

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:04:43 -0400
Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> O. Sinclair wrote:
>
> > I think SQLite might be what you are looking for but with what front-end
> > I don't know. Gambas?
>
> Ideally, such an application front-end would work with any relational
> database, so SQLite or MySQL or PostGreSQL is irrelevant.
> --
> derek

I have used knoda as a front-end to mysql and it is not too bad.
However, I can't get it to do all that I want yet. Could be me of
course. I have not tried gambas yet. But again I come back to the idea
of the all in one package where the "front-end" is part of it already.

Neil

Old 01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Neil Winchurst

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:03:41 -0400
Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
> > I understand that. However I used to write these databases in Paradox
> > for small companies only. They needed just the one database, perhaps
> > with a maximum of two or three computers linked together, and not a huge
> > file of records. They did not need, and indeed could not afford,
> > anything more than that. I am not suggesting for a moment that this
> > kind of DB would be any use for a big company with many departments.
>
> I understood that - but the problem is that it's the sort of application
> that isn't going to be created by a small development team. The only
> people I can see who might have the interest in doing it, and the
> resources, are the OOO developers.
>
> --
> derek

It is not looking very hopeful then!! I have looked at Open Office Base
and it is nowhere near ready yet.

Neil

Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Girard Henri

gambas2 is used in laurus (accounting ) and pgdesigner (postgres
modeler) and other things ...
It looks like vb but is much more
Can use many database engines

Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Martin Laberge

On January 10, 2008 11:04:23 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:24:31 +0200
> "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > I think SQLite might be what you are looking for but with what front-end
> > I don't know. Gambas?
> >
> > Sinclair
> >
> Yes, I have looked at that. But that is one of the points that I was
> making. I am talking about an all-in-one, everything-included
> program in the style of Access and Paradox, a so called monolithic
> program.
>
> You suggest SQLite, but then I must look for a front-end
> program. I am talking about a program which would already include
> tables, forms, queries, reports etc all in the one package. No need to
> look for a front-end or anything else. This kind of program is still
> missing in Linux, as far as I know.
>
> Neil Winchurst

All applications include a frontend and a backend.

Wathever you call them, they procees as such.

the frontend and the backend, do not need to be linked
together to consist of ONE Application.

Many windows applications includes many dll
and are called monolythic apps.

Are you referrign to an application with one EXEcutable
and a thousand unknown references?

Or an application using many known references ?

Or wathever it is ??

Kexi with Sqlite, is the monolythic way,
Kexi with Mysql, is the distributed way

Choose the one you need, and let us use the other,
if I or someone else think the other way is the better.

Anyway, you end up with a monolithic app, with many options.

And the user wont care of the way, if it is useable, simple, and clean.

Philosophy is'nt debatable, and this thread is deriving this way.

Truly yours.

--
Martin Laberge, 30 years of unix admin... and still learning!
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Derek Broughton

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:04:43 -0400
> Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>> > I think SQLite might be what you are looking for but with what
>> > front-end I don't know. Gambas?
>>
>> Ideally, such an application front-end would work with any relational
>> database, so SQLite or MySQL or PostGreSQL is irrelevant.
>>
> I have used knoda as a front-end to mysql and it is not too bad.
> However, I can't get it to do all that I want yet. Could be me of
> course. I have not tried gambas yet. But again I come back to the idea
> of the all in one package where the "front-end" is part of it already.

I don't think you're _ever_ going to find that in a Linux environment.
What's the value? Linux users mostly don't care if it's all-in-one, and
developers are actively against it. It breaks the principles of using one
tool for one action, decoupling interface from implementation, and enabling
migration of data.
--
derek

Old 01-10-2008, 08:09 PM