Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM
"Gert Gast"

Default Screencapture

Hi List, just a question, what do we have available for creating screen captures in Kubuntu? Not just single images, but making movie animations for tutorials etc. Camtasia is the Windows frontrunner I suppose. Anything like it for Linux?

--
Dr Gert Gast
Senior Lecturer, SAE Institute Byron Bay

Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Donn

On Wednesday, 09 January 2008 11:04:46 Gert Gast wrote:
> Hi List, just a question, what do we have available for creating screen
> captures in Kubuntu? Not just single images, but making movie animations
> for tutorials etc. Camtasia is the Windows frontrunner I suppose. Anything
> like it for Linux?

Try:
aptitude search ~dcapture

The (very) weird ~d bit tells it to search the descriptions. Odd as heck. On
my end I see one called 'recordmydesktop'.

I used something years ago to record stuff I was doing in Blender, but I
can't recall the name now. It was something I fetched and compiled - fragile
as glass, but it worked okay. So, there are options.

I have a low-traffic blog for basic news:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Art Alexion

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 04:20:34 Donn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 09 January 2008 11:04:46 Gert Gast wrote:
> > Hi List, just a question, what do we have available for creating screen
> > captures in Kubuntu? Not just single images, but making movie animations
> > for tutorials etc. Camtasia is the Windows frontrunner I suppose.
> > Anything like it for Linux?
>
> Try:
> aptitude search ~dcapture
>
> The (very) weird ~d bit tells it to search the descriptions. Odd as heck.
> On my end I see one called 'recordmydesktop'.
>
> I used something years ago to record stuff I was doing in Blender, but I
> can't recall the name now. It was something I fetched and compiled -
> fragile as glass, but it worked okay. So, there are options.

I recall an interesting program called Wink that seemed to have a lot of
features. Downloaded and installed to Dapper a while ago, but never used it.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Joe Burgess

There is a good program Istanbul that works very well for what you seem
to want. It is in the ubuntu repos, just apt-get install instanbul.
Also here is an article you might find interesting
http://www.linux.com/articles/50069

-Joe