Old 01-08-2008, 09:25 PM
"WANSTALL Malcolm"

Default KDE Programs Naming Convention

I gave my friend, a very educated young lass, a live CD of Kubuntu as
she was wanting me to downgrade her Vista laptop to XP and I thought it
was my civic duty to show her another option. I said "Play around with
it for a day and see if it does what you want" which, after some
convincing, she did.

When I returned she said she wanted XP because Kubuntu was illogical
(which of course fried my brain since I find it 100% _more_ intuitive
than most other OSs) so I pressed her to list the things that caused her
to say that. They were:

1/ The font names were all different (Okay, can't help that one but I'm
sure we could work through relearning that little pest) AND

2/ Things had stupid names (i.e. Kontact, Konquerer, Kolf etc...)

It got me thinking...that is one of the things that first annoyed me
about KDE, that it is _cool_ to name your program starting with a "K". I
realise that it serves a small purpose (identifying KDE vs Gnome
programs and ducking TM issues) but surely to anyone trying to MOVE to
Kubuntu, it would look a bit...immature (like putting "z" on the end of
words to make you 1337). It just feels like and in-joke that needs to
die if KDE wants to be taken even more seriously.

Does anyone else see this as a bit of a marketing blunder and is there
_any_ community push to change this? Surely good names like Amarok,
Rosegarden and Bluefish aren't that hard to come up with...they
certainly make a better first impression on people new to KDE/Linux.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 PM
"Martin Walshe"

Does anyone else see this as a bit of a marketing blunder and is there
_any_ community push to change this? Surely good names like Amarok,
Rosegarden and Bluefish aren't that hard to come up with...they

certainly make a better first impression on people new to KDE/Linux.

I do so your point to a certain extent but to me the program name doesnt matter much. It could be called monkeyblowfishspoonapple as long as it worked im happy.

Also it serves to distinguish between aps for kde and aps for gnome very quick

Marty.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
James Gray