Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default KDE Programs Naming Convention

On 14/01/2008, Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> There's a famous story about the advertising for the Chevy Nova car in
> Hispanic countries. In Spanish, "no va" means "no go". You really don't
> want to call your car the "No Go" ...

Sorry, I should have read all the replies before posting...

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Donn

And let's not forget that old vacuum cleaner "Electrolux", the tagline for it
was "Nothing **sucks** like Electrolux" Boy did that ever make an
impression.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity.

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Donn wrote:
> And let's not forget that old vacuum cleaner "Electrolux", the tagline for it
> was "Nothing **sucks** like Electrolux" Boy did that ever make an
> impression.
I suspect that was because Electrolux initially was Swedish and us guys
in those days did not really have the understanding of what you might
call "slang" or "deep" English.

Sinclair

Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Donn

> I suspect that was because Electrolux initially was Swedish and us guys
> in those days did not really have the understanding of what you might
> call "slang" or "deep" English.
I still recall seeing the ads in cinemas, before the movie; a deep red carpet
with dirt on it. The vacuum passes across and HUGE letters, and exuberant
voice-over, declared the tag line. The entire cinema was in uncontrolled
laughter. It was classic

With soap, baptism is a good thing.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 14/01/2008, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I suspect that was because Electrolux initially was Swedish and us guys
> > in those days did not really have the understanding of what you might
> > call "slang" or "deep" English.
> I still recall seeing the ads in cinemas, before the movie; a deep red carpet
> with dirt on it. The vacuum passes across and HUGE letters, and exuberant
> voice-over, declared the tag line. The entire cinema was in uncontrolled
> laughter. It was classic

And you remember it. THAT'S good advertising. They might not have been
as naive as you think. How about "KDE: The desktop that sucks!"

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Jesus Arocho

The nova story is an example of an advertising oversight. I lived through the
advertising in Puerto Rico and it was used as a simple joke. The joke ran
its course, several months, and that was about it. Companies are now quite
aware of such possible 'gotcha' labeling and do a better job of checking the
meaning of words in local languages.